Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Your favorite Character Sheet features

Edited 1466510290
Please post your favorite character sheet features you either developed or have encountered using roll20. From time to time I stumble over small or big but very cool features I simply would not have thought of. For example the ability to click actions from the rolltemplate in the chat to let NPCs use their ability like in the D&D sheet. This feature also was the initial spark for this thread because I would never have seen it without randomly clicking on the roll20 video on youtube. Such features do not need to be big or complex but sometimes are simple by nature and still quite ingenious. Sometimes I feel a lack of inspiration of what "would be cool" to add and I really would love if players and sheet authors would share their most favorite things their sheet does for a specific system. Please also provide a short explanation of what it does for someone who might not know the system used. If you are the author who implemented the feature maybe also add a short idea how to implement it but I am also interested in what players think whom just use character sheets. If you do have a gif or a video post it! Just as a start to get things rolling: Repeating sections for modifiers From my custom Shadowrun 5 character sheet: Repeating sections for mods. Many systems have a combination of basis+modified=total attribute and by using repeating sections instead of a simple field this adds a very very powerful system. (Click for animation) Why is this cool? It allows for pretty complex types of modifiers instead of just a single value compare to a single input field. It allows to add tooltips to rolltemplates as you have a list of modifiers which can be active or inactive or even decide based on more complex conditions. It would be possible to have tags associated with each modifier and enable all modifiers which contain the tag "night" or "day". It allows for other systems to modify this repeating sections. Scripts can add "buffs" by appending a new modifier to this list. This opens up quite a huge list of possibilities to build further systems upon What is the biggest disadvantage: Requires way more space (which is why I show those lists only when you toggle them) and also makes the sheet way more slower as this can add quite a lot of additional attributes. Connect repeating sections by key-lookup As nested repeating sections sadly simply do not work on roll20 this makes some stuff really way more difficult to implement. For example, you can not simply apply the above technique for attributes which are already in a repeating section. However, you can implement this with a second repeating section and a "key"-lookup. For example the skill lists in my sheet is a repeating section and I wanted to add the exact same functionality for above reasons. How is it accomplished? By adding a key, in this case the name of the skill for each row of the modifier and then add up all modifiers per "name" and then apply the sum to all skills specified by this very name. For example: "Hobbywissen" is a skill modified by a "Spell" in this example. Why is this cool? Key-Lookup allows to bypass missing nested repeating sections from a logical point of view. You can't have them neatly show up as a sublist but you can at least implement functionality like they would be nested. Biggest disadvantage: Requires a lot of screen space as you are unable to nest it and therefore can not make it toggleable visible like above but you could make it toggleable as a whole.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
The 'key-lookup' is a great workaround until we get nested repeating sections! I like when a Character Sheet provides the ability to edit/modify the Roll Template outputs of its sheet roll buttons. I know of a few Character Sheets that do this, e.g. Pathfinder with its 'macro-text' fields. The Shaped sheet for 5e provides 'freeform' fields, which allow you to append macro text to the enter of sheet roll button outputs, which is great, too.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Simple, and really just a nice use of existing Roll20 features, but I love the pathfinder sheet's (and the D&D 5e although I haven't played 5e) spellbook outputs. It'd be awesome to be able to customize the button formats (although this is on the Roll20 side rather than the sheet). I also prefer freeform entry fields over fields that are incremented as cool things can be done when you can reference other fields in a field rather than being restricted to preset entries.
I really like your "Repeating sections for modifiers".  I may have to steal that.  That is where half my knowledge comes from (the other half from other people). Simple little things on the sheets I have created make me happy.  And I am not ashamed to admit most of them were stolen/borrowed from other people and merely tweaked to match my sheets: Hide/show skill: I was shown this trick on the Savage Worlds sheet.  Using a combination of hidden check boxes (with the same name as check-boxes in other sections) and hide/show areas from the Css Wizardry thread, it allows the user to determine what skills are visible.  I have combined this sheet workers to allow whole groups of related skills to be shown or hidden upon command.   Personalized skill text: On my Iron Kingdoms sheet, I made the text that appears on the roll template something the players can adjust.  They have really embraced this option. And I obscenely happy about getting part of a the sheet to be visible on every tab, for those value parts of the sheet that are needed all the time.