Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

backgrounds and grid

I am new to roll20 and joined my first game recently. Really like what I see so far and am starting to put together an idea of a campaign to run myself. Before I get too far down the path of maps and artwork I want to understand size limits of the background and grid overlay. I understand the overlay is 5' squares. Is there a size (say in pixels) that defines the largest image I can put in the background that will also be covered by the grid. I just want to know any limits before I fire up Blender and Gimp and such. Thanks!

Edited 1467256937
Gold
Forum Champion
Hi Scoundral! Good on you to study and test before spending time making your graphics. &nbsp;I highly recommend you click "Start New Game" (on My Games page). Enter your new game table and play around to get the idea of options, settings, and the answer for your needs. &nbsp;First you'll open the Page menu along the top of your game table. Then click the Settings icon of a Page. Here you'll find Units, Scale, Grid Settings, measuring diagonals, and more. You can show, hide, or disable the grid. A commonly used grid size is 5' squares like you said, but you can change this to any scale (10 feet squares for certain games, or 1 meter, or yards, or miles, etc). Page Dimensions is an important setting here, coupled with scale. A new page with the Default settings has 5' squares, white background, square grid enabled, and a page size of just 25x25 units. You can change all those settings, for example, make a page of 180x220 units (vastly larger than the default). One constant for you to know: A Square Unit = 70x70 pixels. Remember that Players/GM can Zoom up to 200% in the view, so you might want to create graphics assets with resolution as-much-as up to 140x140 pixels per unit. (That would be the max and you usually don't need that res for maps, but is nice for tokens). Again, this is "per" your Scale that you will have chosen, for example 1 unit might depict 5' x 5' @ 70 pixels x 70 pixels @ 100% zoom. As a practical matter of advice, I've found that if you are making a map larger than around 5000x5000 pixels, at that point it is best to slice the graphic into tiles of that size. I'm currently running a pretty big map in my game, consisting of 4 tiles of that size. Many games don't call for a map this big in area and resolution, but just to let you know it is possible in the ballpark. Wiki docs to help, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings</a>
Thank you. Excellent info!