Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[3.5] Macros using @{character_name} instead of @{token_name}

I am DMing and have my character sheets set up in a way that is super convenient for me, but may be at odds with conventional methods. I want to get some feedback on how to get the default D&D 3.5 macros to use @{selected|token_name} instead of @{character_name}. I know I can do it by writing custom macros, I just don't want to invest the time if there is an easier way; I have 4 dozen character sheets to modify, each with 3 or more weapons. The reason I want to use token names is that I like to create a generic "Fighter lv. 8" character sheet for NPC's. I'll set up a token to pull information from that sheet. The token is named "Oswald Ironhand" but rolls his attacks as "Fighter lv. 8 attacks with a greatsword." The initiative macro is also kind of weird; the chat function will say "Fighter lv. 8 initiative: 20.04" but the Initiative Tracker will display "Oswald Ironhand 20.04" All the macros that I have made work fine, so my issue is with the default macros in the 3.5 character sheet. Is there a way to change this without having to adjust every attack macro on every character sheet, or writing in an attack ability on every character sheet? Is there an alternative to the 3.5 sheet, or an option I can select somewhere to use token information? Is there an easy way to have many tokens use the same macro without having to adjust a dozen different sheets? Can I mass import macros (like abilities) into a sheet without changing the other stats? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you were pro, you could just edit the source code for the character sheet and put it in as a custom character sheet. Should be pretty straightforward for a change like this. You could also use the API to mass copy macros (I think there should be scripts around that do this). Since you're not: the only option I see is to have global token macros, but they will then have nondescriptive names like 1st_attack, 2nd_attack, ... 

Edited 1467302321
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Alex, If you're using Diana's 3.5 character sheet, all of the macros used in the character sheet are exposed (or can be by clicking on the "show macro" button below things like saves and abilities). Simply edit these macros in your default NPC sheets to use @{selected|token_name} instead of the @{selected|character_name} they currently use. There isn't a way to set this to be the default, but that just means it'll take a few minutes to a half hour (depending on how many default character sheets you have) to change out all the character name references for token name references. Happy Rolling, Scott EDIT: realized you already mentioned editing the 3.5 sheet macros. Unfortunately, that is the only way besides making a default macro for each ability that just uses selected for all the attribute calls.