Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Template output depending on the roll result?

Hello I'm playing in a Vampire the Masquerade game (doesn't really matter though, the question is more universal). In that game you usually roll a number of dice, and if they come up higher than a certain number it's a success. Depending on how many successes you roll, the effects are different. I made myself this handy little Roll Template to help me (and the GM) remember what I need to roll: &{template:default} {{name=Aura Perception}} {{Roll=[[(@{Perception} + @{Empathy})d10>8f1sd]] success(es)}} {{1 =Can distinguish only the shade (pale or bright).}} {{2 =Can distinguish the main color.}} {{3 =Can recognize the color patterns.}} {{4 =Can detect subtle shifts.}} {{5+ =Can identify mixtures of color and pattern.}} The output looks like this then: Now, that works just fine, and I'll leave it like that if there's no other way.  However, is there a way to make it so that "If a 2 is rolled, only the 2nd line with "Can distinguish the main color" is shown? API isn't available for that game, it would all have to be done via the Macro window somehow.
Without it being an API, I think you've got a pretty good macro made. The only other thing I can think of would be the  Rollable Tables which allow you to do many things. 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Conditionally displaying and hiding non-numerical output is very much the API's domain. That said, extensive use of Rollable Tables can supply " budget conditional statements ", and could work in this situation. If you're interested, check out the example I linked to; you would need 6 Rollable Tables (1 for failure, and 1 for each level of success). You should probably also limit your successes to 5 using a Drop/Keep function, so that /r 1t[Result-[[ ... ]]]] doesn't attempt to call a Table that hasn't been made. Of course, I'll be happy to answer any questions about this approach.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If the GM has a Pro subscription, you can also create a custom character sheet which is simply the normal Vampire sheet plus a new roll template. That roll template can display rows based on the value of the roll result.