Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Furthering the Utility of Cards and Decks

Edited 1467913158
Allow gms to set visibility of decks to individual players, assign default card links to handouts/sheets, retain persistent values in cards, assign a card as a roll table value, allow gms to set both fronts and backs of cards per card and not decm, allow a gm to add cards from other decks. (Sorry, this is a long one) A) Allow a deck to be assigned to players much like a journal entry is now. Rather than a universal tick box to all players, allow a GM to specify which players can view this deck. Example a: I create a deck containing cards relevant to Sally and Joe only. I set the player permissions to Sally and Joe. They can now interact with the deck as needed but Frank and Amanda do not have access to it. B) Allow the card itself to be linked to a sheet or handout in the journal, rather than having to assign the token version of the card to a sheet. Example b: Currently, if I wish to link a card and a character sheet, the card must be played onto the table first as a token. I must then select the card, open the sheet, and click the use as token button. This means that any time I wish to play the linked resource, it must be played by dragging the character sheet to the table. Playing the card from the deck would not result in a linked asset. During the card set up, a player would be able to specify a specific character sheet as its link. That way, playing a card from the deck would have the same affect as dragging the sheet onto the table. C) Allow a card to keep assigned token values such as their bar values, auras, and linked sheets permanently, even while picked up. Example c: Assuming the above feature implemented, I would be able to assign a certain card to a specific sheet. I could treat the card as a token, assigning it default token values. I could link bar 1 to HP if I wished, give it a light source and a name plate. I could then pick the card up and put it into my hand. Later, I could play the card again to the table and those values would not have changed. Therefore: I could create a card called "Torch". Bar 1 value would be given numbers to reflect how long it will burn for (6/6 hrs), it would be assigned a light source seen by all players and linked to a torch character sheet. I could then assign token macros in the sheet for different actions, such as hitting someone with the torch. Players could pick up and play the card as needed and the values would remain no matter who picked it up or how long it stayed in their hand or on the table. If I change the bar 1 value from 6/6 go 1/6, that value would continue to be reflected when picked up and played again. Playing a new copy of the card from the deck would play the "default" version of the card. Bar 1 set to 6/6, light source and card macros would remain in tact and separate from the other torch card. D) Allow a roll table to be assigned as a card face/back. This would allow dynamic faces on cards. Allow the table to be fully slideable or to be locked onto a specific table item range. Example d1: I create a card to represent a spell my character can cast and assign a roll table as the image for the card front. The roll table contains two images: card side 1, and card side 2. Once played onto the table, the card appears as a normal card but functions as a roll table. The first side of the card contains the casting time, range, duration, and damage of my spell. The second side contains the flavor text, material components and who it affects on table side 2. Further, if I have more entries onto my roll table- such as one table containing card faces for each spell in my arsenal- I could simply lock faces 12, 13, and 14 as the allowed faces on the card during setup. E) Allow cards to be used as images in a roll table. Example e: allow me to drag a card from a deck onto a roll table as a face and use the default version of the card as a table entry upon play. Further, allow me to specify if the card inside the table is static or dynamc. If static, any time the table is set to that card, it will always reflect the cards default values. If bar 1 default is 10/10 and I change the face to 5/10, that value will stay until I change the table face. Once I go back to the card face on the table, bar 1 returns to the original value 10/10. If the card inside the table is set to dynamic, the card will use the default value from the deck. If bar 1 is 10/10 by default and I change that to 5/10 and change the face, it will still be 5/1000 when I set the face back to the card. F) Allow a deck to use a different front and back for each card. Rather than assign a back during the initial set up, allow a user to "add a card first" and have two separate boxes for card front and card back for each individual card. Example f: I create a deck for Betrayal at House on the Hill. The deck functions as the random room generator where the back tells the player what floor a card can be played, and the front is the actual room. I can now set my deck to show backs only and click through my deck until I see a card that matches my requirements--- such as I need to find a card that can be played at least in the basement-- without knowing the identity of the room I am playing. I now drag that card onto the table, flip it over, and proceed with the game play. G) Allow a player to add cards from one deck into another deck, by something like clicking and dragging or a drop down, multiselect menu. Allow a player to either "copy" the card or "move" the card. Allow players to "recall cards from other decks". Example g: I could make decks containing all possible spells, items, weapons etc with each kind getting their own deck. I could then create decks for each player and "copy" cards from other decks into their personal deck without having to create new cards each time. It would again reflect the original values and linked sheets from the previous deck.
I will back this post, as it's a feature I also find lacking in roll20. More and more RPGs give players some access to a personal card deck, that no other player can see (except for the GM). Including things I'm currently testing out. A is the most important feature about this. Assigning decks to specific players shouldn't be too hard to add as an option, knowing you can already assign things like characters. 
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .