Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need help with creating a Perception check macro for my party

Edited 1380167879
Hello all you macro beasts out there. I am looking to do a GM only type of macro so that when it comes time for a perception check for my party, I can roll it and be the only one seeing it. Is is possible to have a macro that does 6 silent rolls for my 6 players where they dont know I am rolling? Then if someone is successful I can just go into dialogue with that person about spotting something out of the corner of his/her eye etc etc. I would like to have this kind of a macro to be able to bring the surprise element to my group instead of saying "ok, everyone time for a perception check and do a 1d20+ your wis modifier." Thanks all in advance David
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'm not sure if they can see it or not but have you tried to just whisper yourself /w gm? A totally secret way is to make another board and make all your secret rolls there. That will give you an archive of your rolls and they won't know a thing about it.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
/gmroll d20+?{Modifier} will create a roll only you can see like /roll, and will ask you for a modifier to the d20 roll /gmroll d20+@{selected|WIS_MOD} will do the above, but will use the "WIS_MOD" attribute of whatever token you have selected /w gm Char 1: [[d20+?{Char 1 Mod}]], Char 2: [[d20+?{Char 2 Mod}]], etc... will work like the first gmroll above, but you'll do multiple characters at once. Instead of the full roll display, you'll have the final result in yellow boxes, and you can hover over the box to see the full result. /w gm Char 1: [[d20+@{Char 1's Name|WIS_MOD}]], Char 2: [[d20+@{Char 2's Name|WIS_MOD}]], etc... will work like the second gmroll above, but it will do multiple characters at once, rather than having you select the character's token. The second gmroll and the second whisper above are assuming all of the characters have an attribute called "WIS_MOD", of course. The second whisper can be customized if the character have the same information on their sheet but called something different.
You can also do /w GM on multiple lines to break them apart.
Thank you so very much Brian, that was EXACTLY what I was trying to do!!!!
Thank you so very much Brian, that was EXACTLY what I was trying to do!!!! I am still having a problem with the macro. It is not reading the WIS_MOD that I have assigned on each character sheet within the attributes This is what I have as the macro. I am assuming I have done something wrong? /w gm Graegos: [[d20+{Graegos|WIS_MOD}]], Jeph: [[d20+{Jeph|WIS_MOD}]], Purist: [[d20+{Purist|WIS_MOD}]], Rysampam: [[d20+{Rysampam|WIS_MOD}]], Tsumoro: [[d20+{Tsumoro|WIS_MOD}]], Vhey: [[d20+{Vhey|WIS_MOD}]] David
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Just double check your spelling and such to make sure everything matches up is the main thing to recommend. I would recommend to test each one individually to make sure they each work then build the combo like you list. Start small and test each piece is what my teachers always say.
You don't have the @s before the braces -- @{Purist|WIS_MOD}
DOh, I took those out. I thought those were the name designations.

Edited 1380229541
ok, when I add the @'s back in I get this message No attribute was found for @{Purist|WIS_MOD} But I already have the WIS_MOD in the attributes on each sheet? Now I am truly lost lol
Gauss
Forum Champion
David , send me a join link please. I will come take a look. - Gauss
Link sent Gauss

Edited 1380231848
Gauss
Forum Champion
The problem was the attributes had the value "+#" in them. When you have a + sign in your attribute typing +@attribute results in ++#. At this time "++" (plus plus) and "--" (minus minus) result in an error. Summary: Do not put + signs in your attributes. :) - Gauss
Thank you again Gauss for helping me out earlier with my macro issue. +1 for you !!