Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Question for Gabriel Pickard Ship Packs

Edited 1468603419
I am a fan of Gabriel Pickard's packs and I have purchased a few of them now. However I just purchased his Quick Encounters: Ship Pack 1 and I am a little disappointed with one thing.  While the pack does include a lot of material, I dont understand why all of the deck views of the ships include the ocean around the ship. It makes it so I cannot place the ships onto whatever body of water I want without making it look a bit dumb.  Sure the pack includes token versions of the ships that do not have the water around them, but as tokens their size is so small that you cannot stretch them out so they can be usable for the characters to move around on without having everything being a blur. I was wondering if we could get an edit of these packs so that all the deck arts do NOT come with water round them? Or maybe perhaps include the ocean art style so that I can make a vast area of the ocean and NOT have the ships stand out (as seen above)? 

Edited 1468604686
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hi, Damirith . I took a look at the set in questions, Quick Encounters: Ships Pack 1 . It appears that some ships with the water background do actually have a background-less equivalent (same dimensions). For example, 28730-Caravel 2 Mast Deck and 30212-Caravel 2 Mast PNG, which are very similar assets to the 28734-Caravel 2 Mast Upper Deck assets you have showcased in your image.
I solved the problem by layering tiles of water over the edges of the ship image. You still can't move the ship, but I was able to match the background and the area around the ship.

Edited 1468604701
I guess the problem I have is that the whole pack isn't coming in in alphabetical order. Well it is, but it repeats its self 3 times and the versions of the ships that I want are ALL THE WAY at the bottom. So my bad for not looking at the whole pack before posting, but yeah I would have thought the whole pack was in 1 alphabetical list.  Thanks for pointing out the ship for me! :)
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Looks like you got it figured out.  Sorry for the confusion I should have been clearer in my naming on those, live and learn.  PNGs are both much worse for system load and for the larger ships approach the 5-10MB limit per image for Roll20 so if your encounter takes place entirely on the ship the the ones with backgrounds (Jpegs) are the way to go.  That said, the PNGs are great for if you need your ships docked, are fighting deck to deck, or have some other need for more than just the ship on the screen.  There's also token versions for use on a large scale map for tactical ship combat or tracking movement on a world map.  There's a "Water Background" map included if you need to add more water around the ship and have it at least roughly match the style of the water on the ships with backgrounds.  Hope the set adds to your groups fun.  Happy gaming!
Gold
Forum Champion
Gabriel P. said:  There's also token versions for use on a large scale map for tactical ship combat or tracking movement on a world map.  I forgot those were in there. Very good. My group used the full-size ships to play a major adventure arc last year (the 2nd part of "Sinister Secret Of Saltmarsh" if anyone remembers than AD&D module from TSR UK). I should go and place some of the token-sized ones on their world map. As to "Live and learn", Gabriel is a Marketplace artist who has listened to user-feedback and forum dialog. He has always been an outstanding digital artist in Roll20 Marketplace since he started, but has steadily improved his Marketplace offerings in the way his packs are organized, named, and the different graphics pieces that he includes such as blank background tiles. Now that he has his system down-pat, his packs are very consistent and maximize usability.

Edited 1468701968
Oh dont get me wrong, I love Gabriel's packs. I just have one more thing to nitpick. It seems that the search box doesn't work too well for Ship Pack 1 as shown below. You cant rely on the search box to find what you want, you need to open up the pack and look through the whole thing.
plexsoup
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
PNG tech tip: 256 color PNG files (aka PNG8) are roughly the same filesize as jpgs of the same dimensions and they can still have alpha transparency. You lose a lot of color fidelity, but for some graphics it's an acceptable compromise.

Edited 1468854023
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What I do is add my own keys to packs on the marketplace (outside of the game, just oo to marketplace on the top nav of this site) it is a pain but it allows me to find things, the built-in search is pretty painful and I can't find things that I know are in packs I've bought even if I use the name or a key that I see the author used. IDK why but  this happens with every pack. Now I feel like my users complaining about the SharePoint intranet I support. Esp when i works fine for me and I think they are just crazy ;)