Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Art Library Folders Disappearing

I spent an hour or two this afternoon in one of my campaigns sorting everything in my Recent Uploads into folders.  When I logged in just now to start my campaign, there were several folders missing.  The content was still there (it shows if I display all recent uploads).  While trying to figure out what had I happened, I logged into another campaign, to find that I had no folders at all in my library.  Reloading the first campaign now shows that I have no folders. The generated folder tags are still applied when viewed in the Marketplace "My Library", and the same tag is used for content sorted into the same folders.
I've had a similiar experiance. 
I just want to confirm that the same thing has happened to me. I was just re-organising all of my assets under the new system (which I like overall, apart from this bug). I left the page and came back and all of my folders have disappeared. I still seem to be able to search to find my assets, and I seem to be able to toggle between 2 different "Recent Uploads" lists - one of them shows just the items I never put into folders, and the other shows all of my items (unsorted). It's going to be interesting trying to run my session this evening!
Happened to me, too.  That's really a shame, since folders were one of my most wanted features.
Ditto. Just logged back in. My journal folders are fine, but my library folders are gone.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Did you all have more than one game open when this issue occured?
When I first noticed the issue, I only had 1 campaign window open.  I jumped into another campaign at the same time to see if the issue would follow, (which it did).  Then when I refreshed the first campaign, all my folders were gone. I just created a test folder and put a couple of assets into it to see if the issue is repeatable.  As before, the folder is showing up if I immediately refresh the campaign, or open a different campaign.  I'll check back in a few hours to see if it's disappeared. However it's not an ideal fix, since I would have to go through my entire library and manually remove all the old folder tags so that the assets would show up when the filter is activated.  I would much rather have all my original folder restored, since the tags are all still there.
Here are some visual aids. First is my Art Library in-game.  I have the filter activated, and 2 of my assets assigned to a test folder. Here's a shot of my Art Library out-of-game.  I blurred the full tags because it's not clear if these are unique IDs for just me, or if posting them publicly might pose a security risk. The tag ending in "8Ku" is the test folder I just created.  Tag "CD8NE" is my maps folder, and the tokens folder is "eo2r".  Neither of these folders are visible in-game. The folder are not accesible on the Dev server either.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
We pushed out a fix for what we think is the problem. Let us know if you're still having this issue.
The test folder I created is still there, but my old folders haven't been restored.  Should I just go ahead and start rebuilding the folder structure again?
So much like those above all of my sorted folders are gone, and strangely enough so is my upload button? how do fix?
i lost all my folders (its messed up before but by duplicatuing folders) and ther upload and add butons have died
The folders I created last week disapeared.
I spent an hour this afternoon sorting my files into folders, and have discovered mine are now gone as well.  I also do not have the option to upload.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The fix I put in didn't actually make it out last Friday but it should be in now. Sorry about that. Let me know if you're still having the issue with missing folders. 

Edited 1469562888
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm now experiencing this problem too. I opened up one of my campaigns and all of my folders are gone. There is only a list of all my assets - uploaded and marketplace intermixed.  Curiously, a lot of the buttons have also disappeared, including the button to create new folders, the header for "Recent Uploads", and the button to filter "Recent Uploads" by assets not in the library yet. They're not even there if I scroll all the way to the bottom of the assets list. The assets that I did sort into folders still have their folder tags on the My Library page outside the VTT.

Edited 1469564390
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Stephen L. said: I'm now experiencing this problem too. I opened up one of my campaigns and all of my folders are gone. There is only a list of all my assets - uploaded and marketplace intermixed.  Curiously, a lot of the buttons have also disappeared, including the button to create new folders, the header for "Recent Uploads", and the button to filter "Recent Uploads" by assets not in the library yet. They're not even there if I scroll all the way to the bottom of the assets list. The assets that I did sort into folders still have their folder tags on the My Library page outside the VTT. That sounds like something bigger broke. Can you provide a copy of your console log?

Edited 1469566387
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Here's my console log. <removed>
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Stephen L. said: Here's my console log. <removed> Try it now.
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Awesome. It appears to be fixed now.
I'm still unable to see my folders, or upload anything new.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Thomas W. said: I'm still unable to see my folders, or upload anything new. Let me know if it's not working for you now.
Steve K. said: The fix I put in didn't actually make it out last Friday but it should be in now. Sorry about that. Let me know if you're still having the issue with missing folders.  *Sigh* I wish this had been posted before this morning. I went through my entire uploads library and manually removed all of the folder tags, so that I wouldn't end up with duplicate folders.  Then I went through and resorted everything back into new folders.  This took about 2.5 hours to do. Well now that your fix has been posted, I now have duplicate folders of everything... Luckily I used a slightly different naming convention, so it should be easy to just delete the older folders.
So here's a couple more bugs for you: When I went through my content library this morning, I removed a bunch of content from old, retired campaigns.  When all of my folders were restored, the content that I had deleted was still in the folders, as unlinked content. Fun fact, I can't delete a folder that contains content that... isn't there.  I have to go in manually and delete all the unlinked content before deleting the folder. Also, when I delete sorted content in a folder, that content reappears in the filtered uploads list, even if it's already sorted in another folder.  No matter how many times I drag that content into folders, both new ones, and the folders that hold the identical content, they won't disappear from my filtered content list when I toggle the filter. Also, deleting content from the uploads folder when inside a campaign does not work at all.  It will show me the pop-up warning that deleting content from the uploads folder will delete the content permanently, but when I toggle the filter, it's back. Luckily , all this doesn't seem to effect content that is in my many active campaigns.  As long as I just ignore the horrible mess that is now my Art Library, everything is fine.
Tell you what, can you just reset my Art Library completely?  I'm getting the feeling that I'm carrying over a bunch of corrupted information.  I just discovered that content that I definitely deleted from my Art Library list this morning (from the front-end, not inside a campaign), is now not deleted. Just remove all of the folder structure, and any files that aren't linked to uploaded content.  Just please try not to remove any of the content tags I've already placed on assets.
yay they are back u did a magic
I ran across this as well.  I have my folders up but when I open one a popup comes up saying "Failed to undefined folder.  The folder was not found"  Any way to get it back?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Cody B. said: I ran across this as well.  I have my folders up but when I open one a popup comes up saying "Failed to undefined folder.  The folder was not found"  Any way to get it back? We pushed out an update this morning. Let me know if you're still having that issue.

Edited 1469724309
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Steve K. said: Cody B. said: I ran across this as well.  I have my folders up but when I open one a popup comes up saying "Failed to undefined folder.  The folder was not found"  Any way to get it back? We pushed out an update this morning. Let me know if you're still having that issue. I've also started running into this issue. I ran into it after I moved out all the contents of a folder A into another folder B. I then tried to delete folder A, but got an alert that the folder couldn't be deleted. The library then collapsed everything, and folder A was still there. I tried to expand folder A, resulting in the alert message Cody got, and the library collapsed all the folders again. I get this alert whenever I try to perform any operations on folder A now.
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Stephen L. said: I've also started running into this issue. I ran into it after I moved out all the contents of a folder A into another folder B. I then tried to delete folder A, but got an alert that the folder couldn't be deleted. The library then collapsed everything, and folder A was still there. I tried to expand folder A, resulting in the alert message Cody got, and the library collapsed all the folders again. I get this alert whenever I try to perform any operations on folder A now. What folder are you having this issue with?
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
tiles/crystal

Edited 1469725050
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Stephen L. said: tiles/crystal So that folder is suffering from a bug I introduced a couple patches back and has since been fixed. It thinks it's in the folder "effects" off of your root directory and in tiles. To fix it copy its contents to a new folder and delete the two versions showing up in the effects and tiles folders. Sorry for the inconvenience. If you're unsure of what to do, let me know and I'll fix it for you myself.
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks! That did the trick.
Hello, I've just started having the disappearing folders issue. Last night I was setting up a campaign - everything working fine. This morning the Art Libraries have no folders. Everything else appears to work fine (folders in the Journal are fine). Last night I did delete several images from the Library that were no-longer needed (from within roll20), and this morning I did the same before I realised that I can't upload any more, I honestly didn't notice if the folders vanishing was before or after I did this. If I go to&nbsp; <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/library" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/library</a> everything is there as I'd expect. If I search in either the Premium Assets or My Library tab I get results, and they are filtered by folder exactly as I've been getting before. But without searching, the Premium Assets tab appears blank and the My Library tab shows only my most recent uploads, and nothing that was stored in a folder. In addition, the Upload button seems to have vanished from the My Library tab, so I can't add new Artwork.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Hi Tom, could you snag a screenshot of what your art library tab looks like and can you tell me if you've been working on the dev or public server?
Hi Kristin, It's the public server, screenshot of both below. Yesterday there was a fairly long list of folders in My Library, and I've purchased three packs from the store so far that normally show up in Premium. Thanks kindly Tom
Gid
Roll20 Team
Going by the screenie, you're missing not only the section where your library folders would go, but also the upload and add buttons. Double check if there's any extensions or add-ons running in the background. Something is interfering with Roll20 from displaying that section that contains your folders and upload buttons and keeping them hidden from view.
Aha that makes sense. I did some checking based on what you said. There doesn't seem to be anything running, I don't have any extensions or anything installed on that browser, it's just vanilla Chrome Version 54.0.2840.16 beta-m (64-bit), which is up to date. It's the same one I was using before when everything was working normally. Is it possible Chrome updated the build which is why the Art Library stopped working overnight? I don't know if that's a thing that can happen. If there's anything I can do that might help you figure this out, let me know (send logs or something?), but if you think t's just a one-off quirk of that particular browser install then I'm happy to just leave it there for now. I logged in using Edge and Firefox, and the art library is working fine on both of those. So I can use those to continue, no worries there. Thanks for your help Tom

Edited 1473692780
Gid
Roll20 Team
Just mentioning that it's not an issue across the board and is only happening to you in Chrome does help us narrow down a bit. A couple questions to run past you to check: Have you done a cache and cookie cleanse since this bug started ocrurring? Is this happening only in a certain campaign or are they missing in every campaign? As a Pro user, are you using any API scripts in your campaigns? When you switch from GM to User mode via "Re-Join as player" button are the title fields also missing on those three tabs?

Edited 1474947357
Beta releases of Chrome have had problems with Roll20 before. You may want to try rolling back to the standard release.

Edited 1473766829
Tom
Pro
Thanks guys :) Kristin, I did these one at time: Cache and cookie clear - no results, still the same. I created a new test game, and have the same problem with the Art library. I am not using anything other than the "out of the box" roll20 in terms of functionality, so no, no API's or anything. I can't see the Art Library at all when I 're-join as player'. However! - When I switched back to GM mode after that last one, the Art Library folders came back and the Upload and Add button is back! So it's now working fine :) Rabulias - Thanks for the advice, I was going to try that next, but since it's working now I'll see if the same issue happens again (and I'll try to remember how I did it), and if the same "fix" works again, if so I'll post here again. EDIT: Update: I logged back into Roll20 after closing the browser down and the Art Libraries have lost the folders and the upload/add buttons again! I re-joined as a player and then straight away switched back to GM and the Art libraries are still missing folders and the buttons as before. I closed everything down, logged back in, Art Libraries still bugged. I then re-joined as a player - then flipped through the journal, jukebox, chat tabs a few times - then went back to GM, and the Art Libraries are fully working and the folders are back. I've tested this and it's 100% repeatable for me. Load from 'cold', log into the game - Art libraries bugged. Re-join as a player Switch tab once (to any tab) Re-join as GM - Art Libraries working fine. Re-Join as a player Switch tab once (to any tab) Re-Join as GM - Art Libraries bugged. repeat indefinitely I've no clue what's going on here, but I can do this over and over with the same result. Re: Chrome - this is the default 64bit download, I went to the Chrome site and this is the install that you get if you just press the "give me Chrome" button - it's not specifically a Beta build. (<a href="https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html" rel="nofollow">https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/desktop/index.html</a>). I actually can't even see how to download another version of it to be honest. If it helps I'm running Win10 64bit home, everything up to date and I'm using ESET NOD32 Antivirus rather than Windows own thing.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thank you so much for doing so this testing, Tom. It helps quite a bit. Can you follow&nbsp; Step 4 of our Solving Technical Issues wiki page - specifically the getting a console log part. What I'd like you to do is repeat what you're doing while the console log is open when you are swapping tabs. What is happening on your client is that part of the UI is failing to load for you. We should see some trackable errors spring up on the console when this happens. Another thing to try is to temporary disable your anti-virus while you run your tests and/or look into specifically white-listing Roll20 within your antivirus application.&nbsp;
Not a problem :) Here's the dropbox link to the log file:&nbsp; <a href="https://www.dropbox.com/s/gz2f8fu37bepxj8/app.roll" rel="nofollow">https://www.dropbox.com/s/gz2f8fu37bepxj8/app.roll</a>... I switched back and forth a couple of times. Let me know if that's not right or if there's something else you need. After that I disabled antivirus completely and opened Roll20 and logged in, the Art Library problem is still there. I do have Javascript enabled.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Thank you, Tom. I'll sift through it and talk with the other devs about what can be found here. In the meantime, my recommendation is to run your campaign in Firefox until we can get to the bottom of this.
Thanks Kristin, will do. Have fun bug hunting.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Tom, could you send us a new log with a fresh blank campaign with no character sheet applied to it? The character sheet errors in the previous log make it very difficult to parse the issues involving your image library. You can also just copy and paste the log here instead of saving a log file.
Hi Kristin, I logged in to get your log files and I don't know how or why, but the Art library is working fine now in Chrome :) I don't know exactly when it happened, I've been using firefox since my original posts. Chrome is now on Version 54.0.2840.34 beta-m (64-bit), so there's been a minor change there, also I've noticed some of the button positions have moved around in Roll20, I assume there must have been an update there too? Anyway, it's working fine and I can't replicate the bug any more so I guess that's good! Thanks for your help, Tom
I have been having trouble making folders, but when you join as player and go back to gm, i can create them again. Sometimes my folders disappear which is a major problem...but i have not had anything be deleted yet.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Tom O. said: Hi Kristin, I logged in to get your log files and I don't know how or why, but the Art library is working fine now in Chrome :) I don't know exactly when it happened, I've been using firefox since my original posts. Chrome is now on Version 54.0.2840.34 beta-m (64-bit), so there's been a minor change there, also I've noticed some of the button positions have moved around in Roll20, I assume there must have been an update there too? Anyway, it's working fine and I can't replicate the bug any more so I guess that's good! Thanks for your help, Tom If buttons moved around for you, something must have been interrupting the CSS on your browser (likely an add-on or extension). I suspect so, anyway, because we haven't pushed an update that would relocate anything on our user interface. If the bug happens again, just let us know again. Rey said: I have been having trouble making folders, but when you join as player and go back to gm, i can create them again. Sometimes my folders disappear which is a major problem...but i have not had anything be deleted yet. Rey,&nbsp; Could you please carefully work through the first three steps of our guide to Solving Technical Issues ? Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache If none of the above succeeds, please thoroughly work through Step 4 . (Don't forget the complete Console Log!) We want to check the basics first. If you're still struggling with your folders by Step 4, a console log should help us figure out what may be wrong.