Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Another Macro Related question [5e-shaped][macro]

Hi all, I am gming on Roll20 for about half a year and I have read and understood the basics of macros. I read the roll20 wiki <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros</a> and have used macros to great effect. Due to palyer demand, we switched the character sheets to 5e-shaped ( support for spells cast on higher levels ). Before the switch to 5E shaped I used simple macros, that basically made use of @{target|Attribute} and @{selected|Attribute} in a template to easily structure my tokens attacks.I am currently not on my PC, so this is just a very basic example from memory. Simply assume that before the switch the syntax was working and output a box with all the relevant info of the attack/s. Example: {{Template: ... } {name=@{selected|token_name}} {Weapon1=@{selected|Melee_weaponname1}} ... {target=@{target|token_name}} After the switch, nothing works. Even the most basic attributes can´t be queried. For example, I have a token in my library called "Melee Minion". This command "@{Melee Minion|AC}" correctly outputs "14". So by referencing it´s name directly, I get a working output. The command "@{selected|AC}"&nbsp; outputs "no character found for selected". The command "@{target|AC}" outputs&nbsp; "No attribute was found for targeted token by the name of AC". So he tells me the target command worked, but now the AC attribute is somehow gone? This does not make any sense. I really do not understand what´s going on here. The character sheets are set up more or less correctly and complete. When i use "Ctrl+click" on a character sheet to check the attributes to reference, they are all there. But for the love of your favourite Pantheon, I cannot get it to work. Help and save my sanity, please!

Edited 1468867363
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It sounds to me like your token has become unlinked from its associated sheet. That's what the @{selected} error would indicate. Same for the @{target} error because it is targeting a token, but there is no linked character for it to reference for non-token attributes, so it tells you that the token doesn't have that attribute (which is true, since it is stored in the character). EDIT: I just unlinked a token from a character sheet. I get this exact behavior in that case.
I feel so dumb right now. I must have wasted hours on this without even checking the basics - I just assumed dragging from the journal should automatically link a token to it´s respective sheet. Thanks for the help. Just one more question, if you feel in the mood for answering it. If I want to have multiple copies of a monster/minion on the map, how can i have multiple tokens represent different monsters with the same stats, but having their own healthpool? I seem to remember that unlinking the monster after setting the bars to the attributes needed was the only chance of getting mutliple copies of the same monster with their own healthpool. Again, thanks for helping me out on this total noob error.
Daniel H. said: Just one more question, if you feel in the mood for answering it. If I want to have multiple copies of a monster/minion on the map, how can i have multiple tokens represent different monsters with the same stats, but having their own healthpool? I seem to remember that unlinking the monster after setting the bars to the attributes needed was the only chance of getting mutliple copies of the same monster with their own healthpool. Look on how to create Mook's in this wiki section. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Linking_Tokens_to_Journals</a> H

Edited 1468876541
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
heh, np, about the only reason I saw it was because I've made mistakes like that a ton. My setup workflow for mooks/non-unique characters is this: Create your mook/non-unique character's sheet Create token (Drag your image onto the VTT) Link your token to the mook's sheet link the token's bars to the appropriate attributes on the sheet unlink the bars &nbsp;from their attributes, but leave the token linked to the character. The bars will retain the linked values, but will no longer update the sheet or be updated by the sheet set the token as the Mook's default token EDIT: Heh, or there's the nice identical workflow already in the wiki that HLazar linked to. How 'bout that; didn't even realize that was there.
I am going to save that link to my notes, right now. I remember having a working process for creating non-unique enemies, but I had to do it over and over again and I never realized it could be saved this way. Tons of thanks Scott, Hlazar for your help. I hope I´ll be able to someday return the favour as unlikely as it sounds. Kind regards, Daniel