Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll Button for Character Abilities - duplication of roll

Hard to capture this one in the discussion title, but here's the explanation: if you create an ability in the character sheet, and click the roll button, it rolls as expected (and with 3D dice active, it shows the dice properly). If you then edit the roll, save changes, and reopen the character sheet to hit the button, it doubles the roll. So for instance, I set up this ability: Melee: /roll 3d6k2 I save it, and click the roll button, and 3 dice appear and it calculates the answer and everything. If I then edit that ability, and then click the button again, 6 dice appear on the screen (although it calculates the result twice -- so it's not rolling 6d6k2, it's rolling 3d6k2 and 3d6k2 and putting the results in chat). I can reproduce this every time: 1. Create an ability on a character sheet. Could be anything, but I tested with both 3d6k2 and 2d6 rolls. 2. Save the ability, save the character, and open the sheet again after it closes (incidentally, i second the suggestion that saving changes to a character sheet should not close it!) 3. Click the roll button. Roll should execute as expected. 4. Edit the character sheet, and edit the ability. You don't have to change it, just open it for editing and then save the ability again by clicking on the checkmark. 5. Save the character sheet, and after it closes reopen it. 6. Click the roll button by the ability. The roll is doubled (double the dice appear, and two separate results are printed in chat). OS: Windows 7 32-bit Browser: Chrome 23.0.1271.97 m, 3D enabled
Gauss
Forum Champion
I have reproduced that sometimes a click results in two sets of rolls. I think what is happening is the click is doubleclicking. If I am careful about how I click then it only rolls once. Please test this on your end and see if that would explain it. - Gauss
Hm. I don't think it's me inadvertently double-clicking. In fact, if I double click on the roll button, it quadruples the number of dice thrown. On the other hand, it may be detecting a double click incorrectly or something? However, I did notice that if I close and relaunch the campaign, the behavior goes away until I edit the ability again (that is, if I follow the steps to make the bug happen, then close and relaunch the campaign, the bug does not reoccur until I take steps 4-6 in the steps-to-reproduce I listed). Based on that, what seems to be happening is that the roll is being queued up somewhere to send to the roll parser/dice roller, but the queue isn't being cleared out, so the next time I click it there's two occurrences of the roll in the queue. Interestingly, the queue (or whatever it is) only seems to apply to the button on the character sheet itself. The same ability as a button in the Macro Bar doesn't exhibit the duplication bug.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, that does not sound like a doubleclick problem. Chris, could you send me an invitation into your campaign (via PM)? I would like to check if I can reproduce this in your campaign. - Gauss
Yeah, sure. PM on the way, once I figure out how to PM.
Note that there's no hurry to fix this for me specifically -- I don't do anything with Roll20 but test out features when they pop up. I don't have any actual games running. Although in a live game, I expect it would be a bit irritating.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ahhh, but figuring things out entertains me. This is why they made me a Moderator. - Gauss
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, others are having this problem as well. Using your guide I have replicated this. It is not a doubleclick problem as I previously thought it might be. I can get up to 3 rolls in one burst. Thanks for the clear directions Chris. Filing a bug report. - Gauss
Thanks for following up! One thing I didn't check was whether hit happens with 3D dice turned off, so that might be an additional avenue of investigation.
I have had the same problem and two of my players experienced it as well. Sometimes it rolls double, sometimes triple. As a temporary solution, exiting the game and re-entering appears to fix it.
Gauss
Forum Champion
This problem has should be fixed now. Please let me know if it continues. - Gauss