Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Best way to create a complete Monster Manual with attached tokens?

Edited 1380398432
Hello Roll20 community. I have been using this for several months now and was wondering if there was a better way of creating a Monster Manual Index to have everything ready at my disposal? Meaning if I need 3 Frost Giants, is there a way to have 1 universal character sheet for the NPC but have different token options for the same sheet without copying each sheet for each separate token. LOL, I hope I said that right. Also, is there a way to make a universal attack 1, 2 or 3 (like a claw, bite, rake, etc) macro that will work with all of my character sheets that will coincide with the macros within the sheets itself. I know I read something on the recent update about getting a macro outside and inside the character sheet to work together. I am now starting to dig deeper into what Roll20 can actually do to save me some time prepping encounters so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance David
Gauss
Forum Champion
Which different token options would you need? What many people are doing is to make a Character Sheet, make a token, link the token to the sheet, assign HPs (dont link the HPs or other variable stats), and then set the token as default. As for the universal attack, I have yet to fully explore all of the new commands myself but I am pretty sure that with the new commands you can make a universal attack macro based on the selected token. Select a token and then run the macro. - Gauss
Yea, I got that Gauss about the token on default for the character sheet, what I meant was can I assign multiple tokens for 1 character sheet to have a variety for looks on mobs instead of that same orc everytime I pull one from my monster index. Or am I going to have to make seperate sheets for each token? Sorry for the confusion there.
Gauss
Forum Champion
You can make a table with multiple images, turn it into a token (don't forget to remove the "Is Drawing" setting), and then assign that token to the character sheet. Then you can change the token's looks. - Gauss
Hey Gauss, thanks for the help with that. When I click on the token button it puts down the same token every time no matter how I weight it. I read on the wiki about right clicking the token that was just pulled out and selecting Random Side would and that would take one of the tokens from that table and randomize that token that I just right clicked. My question is, is there a way to eliminate that step and and just have a different token pop out every time instead of having to rick click and selecting random? Thanks David
Gauss
Forum Champion
David, sorry there isnt unless the API can do it. Basically, what is happening is that when you click 'token' it is putting the rollable table on the board in token form. The first entry in the table is probably the one that itll show unless you change the side via choose or random. However, you can still use that token as the default token for a character sheet. It should keep the number of character sheets down since you wont have to make one for each variation of the same creature. - Gauss
Oh man this is GREAT!!!!!! LOL I can pull out 3 melee orcs from the character sheet select, randomize the token affect and have all of the stats on them already. Damn what a time saver. Now I need to figure out how to have a few attack macros on my main macro bar linked into the character sheet macros themselves! Roll20 gets better by the day lol. David
Gauss
Forum Champion
Just remember to deactivate the multi-sided (table) token "Is Drawing" setting before you set the token to be your default token in the character sheet. Regarding attack macros: Here is an example for a universal attack macro for melee in Pathfinder: Melee Attack [[1d20 +@{selected|BAB} +@{selected|STR} +@{selected|Weapon|max} -@{selected|PA}*?{PA switch|0} +?{Modifiers|0}]] Weapon Damage [[@{selected|Weapon} +@{selected|STR|max} +@{selected|Weapon|max} +@{selected|PA|max}*?{PA switch|0} +?{Modifiers|0}]] Attribute values (format: # / # or blank): Weapon: 2d6 / 2 Note: weapon max is where I would store the magic enhancement bonus for the weapon. BAB: 8 / blank STR: 7 / floor(7*1.5) Note: STR max is where I would store the damage in case the creature uses a 2handed weapon. PA: 3 / 3*3 Note: PA max is where I would store the damage while normal PA is where I would store the penalty. Final note: if there is a field in the selected token's character sheet that is not present then the macro will not work. You will only get a die roll and none of the other fields will work. - Gauss
Ive never played Pathfinder, pretty much only Basic D&D and now D&D Next. So I am guessing all of these mods are in the attribute column like the other macro I was working on a few days ago. All I would need to do is drop the pathfinder stats and make them D&D stats and Im guessing I would get the same result. Minus the extra + LOL, I had to throw that in hehe.
Gauss
Forum Champion
If you need any help getting it to work let me know. :) - Gauss
You have been a life saver Gauss with my macro situation. David
Gauss
Forum Champion
For the benefit of others would you mind posting what you come up with? It is a new system and how people are using it is helpful. :) - Gauss
I sure will I will be working on it tomorrow. David
My solution to this is to give my NPC's and monsters abilities called "atk1" "atk2" "dmg1" and "dmg2", for example. Then I have global macros: #atk1 = %{selected|atk1} #atk2 = %{selected|atk2} etc etc etc It allows me to have completely different attack and damage formulas for different monsters, all called from the same macro button on my macro bar.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Very nice idea David. :) - Gauss
one point: you can now have one attribute for an attack - ability:current = attack roll, and ability:max can list the damage. so an attribute called att1 with current:+4, and max:1d8+4 would be able to be called up in a macro using {attribute|max} without a second attribute needed for damage.

Edited 1380487769
Thank you David, that looks to be exactly what I was wanting for my setup. So how I am reading that macro is I will have my universal attack macros on my table top. Then on a claw attack (say it would be att 1 on the character sheet) per say I would hit the appropriate macro on the tabletop (as I have that miniature selected) then the macro will go into the selected miniature and use the combat macro inside of it and then display the roll. David

Edited 1382604887
This is what I use. Just discovered it so it might not be perfect. Its for Dark Heresy d100 system. I have e.g three universal macros "Melee" "Range" "Initiative". Melee %{selected|Melee} Ranged %{selected|Ranged} Initiative %{selected|Initiative} Using the ability "Melee"/"Ranged"/"Initiatve" of the selected token. Each token is linked with a Monster Sheet. In the Monster Sheet I have an ability named "Melee", for that specific monster. A monster with fist weapons will have: /w GM @{Selected|Token_name} [Fist] - ATK:[[1d100]] DMG:[[1d10+5]][Primitive] And a monster with crowbar as weapon will have: /w GM @{Selected|Token_name} [Crowbar] - ATK:[[1d100]] DMG:[[1d10+3]][Primitive] And I just repeat the same thing for Ranged weapons, or any other ability I want to use, just modify the dices and text accordingly. This saves a lot of time. For initiative rolls I use this roll: /em @{Selected|Token_name} rolls[[1d10+@{AgilityBonus} &{tracker}]] for Initiative /em for Emoting the selected token, to show the players which one rolls for initiative and the result. "+@{AgilityBonus}" takes the number from the Attribute that I set up for each monster to be added to the initiative roll. and last &{tracker} to add the result to the Turn Tracker. I use "/w GM" to whisper the roll to myself, since I like the rolls to be hidden for the players. I also use inline rolls for better formating. The text for a roll like this would end up like this: The first square is for the melee attack. The second square is for the Initiative. Both can be used separately. Just thought I'd share it, since you also like timesaving stuff :)
My problem with spending all of this insane amount of time upfront, there are just too many macro possibilities. I'd ask for multiple macro bars, but that isn't really the best solution. Since then half of my screen as a GM would be buttons. I would really love to iron it out for players, for D&D Next for instance it would require minimum this many: up to 3 or so for common attacks, (which may or may not have damage, so maybe extra 3 there). Then 3 for each saving throw, as you have to account for Advantage, Disadvantage, and normal. Then the same story for each skill ability check. Then you have to have for a non-skill proficiency ability check (just a flat STR roll, etc). The list goes on and on. I guess I have a suggestion which I will take to the suggestion forum. 2 really. First is an easy way to share character sheets for NPCs(monsters) from player to player. Second, is an additional right hand tab for a "token properties aka macros" tab. That way if it is a full tab, it could probably fit a lot of information in there.

Edited 1382626452
Here is what I have come up with for my universal monster sheet that every single one of my 250+ monster sheets use. Mind you, this is for D&D Next: Initiative = API Script (this is the only script I use) This automatically rolls initiative for everything on the screen characters and monsters and then opens and places them in the correct order in your turn box. This is a major time saver for rolling initiative. And it takes into consideration the players dex modifiers as well. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/207066/script-auto-initiative/#post-220693" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/207066/script-auto-initiative/#post-220693</a> Silent DM Roll Group Perception check macro - I use a silent GM roll for perception for my players. Yes I know this is a roll that I have taken away from the players, but, to justify me doing this is the whole "surprise" element. When you do a perception check and when certain characters hit the DC you choose, you can stop the party and tell them: Purist, out of the corner of your eye you notice a hint of shimmering metal or preasure plate or whatever a perception check would need to notice. I think this is my more dynamic for the players instead of just coming strait out and asking for a perception roll. This gets rid of the element of surprise and now your players are expecting something. Basic Dice Macros - Your basic d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20, d100 percentil normal macros in case a roll is needed For Attacks - I have a total of 8 attack macros for my monster sheets. Attack1, Damage1, Attack2, Damage2, yada yada yada. This allows you to have macros for monsters for different types of attacks like claws, casts, bites or whatever. For crits, I use the same damage macro as normal damage but when you hit the damage macro a box will pop up and ask you if it is a crit. 0 = No and 1 = Yes. So if it is a crit the extra 1d8 or whatever extra die is added into the total of the first roll. As a side note, yes I know this is not the way crits are handled anymore in D&D Next and is the old way but unfortunately there is no formula to use in a macro that will just flat out do max damage. You could use an API script for something like this but after this many sheets created I will be house ruling monster crits the old way and my players can use the new critical method. Checks and Saving Throws - I have six macros set up for these saves that take into consideration the modifier for each stat of the creature. Overall the trial and error of getting everything set up took a pretty good amount of time. I wont lie. But, now that everything is setup and working perfectly I am soooo glad I have done this because it has made DM'ing so much more efficient for me. It allows me to hit the macros on my screen that are connected to each universal sheet on the tokens selected so no sheets need to be opened to hit macros. Each sheet has a built in roll table as well for all of the different miniatures I have, meaning. If I need 6 orcs for a fast random encounter I pull out a generic map for any terrain the group is on, plop out 6 orcs and then right click to randomize them. Boom, 6 random orcs with working macros. EASY!!!! Plus all of the macros built within the character sheet have cool emotes as well to coincide with the attack that the creature is making. Like I said, it is a massive time investment from the start, but, if you want your game more streamlined then I recommend you doing something like this. I have 23 macros that are 100% linked into character sheets but are well worth it. And the macros barely move off of the screen because I use just a few numbers or letters to recognize them. I would also like to thanks Gauss and David A. for walking me through a few of the more complex macros like the critical and perception macros. Thanks guys David
Is there anyway that hard work like this can be shared in the community? Or does everyone have to reinvent their own wheels?