Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Suggestion for formatting on inline roll.

On inline rolls when you hover over the box you are given something along the lines of "Rolling 1d20+1+2+3+4+5 = (19)+1+2+3+4+5. It would make my life easier if this displayed as "Rolling 1d20+1+2+3+4+5 = (19) + 15 That way I'd not have to add up half a dozen numbers in my head every time I needed to confirm a critical.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
While I can understand the desire for merging the numbers, I have to ask: what does this have to do with confirming a critical? In every game system I've played where critical hits need confirmation, the relevant number is the final result (the value you see without hovering over anything), and whether a roll needs to be confirmed is based on the die roll (the number in parentheses).
Sorry, I suppose it has a bit to do with the formatting I'm using for my macro. I'm playing a (pathfinder) monk and I have a significantly different bonus when I'm doing a flurry of blows vs when I'm using my standard attack macro. I have my flurry macro set up to roll attack and then damage for all of my attacks for the round. So for me to roll the confirmation I either have to hit the macro and then ignore all of the non-confirmation rolls or just check what my bonus was for that attack roll and then manually roll a 1d20 and add that bonus to it. I've elected to rolling the confirmation roll manually in effort to reduce chat spam, but doing so makes me add up the half a dozen sources that give me bonuses to hit :P.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Joe Y ., please post your entire macro. We may be able to suggest alternatives. - Gauss
My macro looks like this <Pre>/em fires off a rapid flurry of arrows from point blank range! [[d20 +@{Shocknawe|Level} +@{Shocknawe|WIS} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Weapon Focus} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly hit} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to hit} ]] to hit and [[ @{Shocknawe|Composite Longbow} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly dmg} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to dmg} ]] to damage for the first arrow! And [[ d20 +@{Shocknawe|Level} +@{Shocknawe|WIS} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Weapon Focus} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly hit} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to hit} ]] to hit and [[ @{Shocknawe|Composite Longbow} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly dmg} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to dmg} ]] to damage for the second arrow! And [[ d20 +@{Shocknawe|Level} +@{Shocknawe|WIS} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Weapon Focus} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly hit} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to hit} ]] to hit and [[ @{Shocknawe|Composite Longbow} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly dmg} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to dmg} ]] to damage for the third arrow! And [[ d20 +@{Shocknawe|Level} +@{Shocknawe|WIS} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Weapon Focus} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly hit} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to hit} -5 ]] to hit and [[ @{Shocknawe|Composite Longbow} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly dmg} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} + @{Shocknawe|Buff to dmg} ]] to damage for the fourth arrow!</Pre>
Hmm, formatting doesn't work like I thought it would. Ignore the <pre> and </pre> haha.

Edited 1380681103
Gauss
Forum Champion
What, no Many Shot? :) Is this 4 separate macros or 1 macro with multiple lines? Is there a separate set of macros for Flurry without Point Blank Shot? What about without Deadly Aim? - Gauss
Haha, Im playing a zen archery monk. No rapid or many shot! Its one macro.

Edited 1380682148
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ahhh right, I forgot that bit. :) Anyhow, for the purpose of a critical hit I suggest the following macro (I have bolded the additions): Critical confirmation roll [[d20 +@{Shocknawe|Level} +@{Shocknawe|WIS} +@{Shocknawe|Magic bow} +@{Shocknawe|Weapon Focus} +@{Shocknawe|PBS} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry} +@{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly hit} +@{Shocknawe|Buff to hit} +?{Iterative|0} ]] to hit and [[ @{Shocknawe|Composite Longbow} +@{Shocknawe|Composite Longbow} + 2* @{Shocknawe|Magic bow} + 2* @{Shocknawe|Flurry Deadly dmg} + 2* @{Shocknawe|PBS} + 2* @{Shocknawe|Buff to dmg} ]] additional damage! Also, you can condense the Deadly Aim attack and damage modifiers into one attribute. If you are interested in that I can show you how. ?{Iterative|0} is a query. Input the iterative penalty (-5 in your fourth attack). Out of curiousity, why is your 3rd attack at the same attack bonus as your 1st and 2nd? With a FoB the 3rd and 4th have the same penalty (unless using Haste or an extra attack via Ki points. - Gauss
Thanks for the help! I would absolutely be interested in seeing how it can be combined into one attribute!

Edited 1380683069
Gauss
Forum Champion
Two ways to combine it into one attribute: The following assumes you have a BAB of +8 First Method: Attribute name: Deadly Aim (or some other name) Attribute box1: 3 In the attack line: -@{Shocknawe|Deadly Aim} In the damage line: +@{Shocknawe|Deadly Aim}*2 The second method uses the new ability to select the second box. Attribute name: Deadly Aim (or some other name) Attribute box1: -3 Attribute box2: 6 In the attack line: +@{Shocknawe|Deadly Aim} In the damage line: +@{Shocknawe|Deadly Aim|Max} The Damage line will grab the max value of the attribute. One other question, are these in your Macros or in your Abilities? I strongly suggest using Abilities over Macros. They are more stable. If you want to shorten the name you could always reference the Abilities in Macros. Example: Ability name: Flurry-of-OMG Ability body: [[d20 +@{Level} +@{Wis} etc.... Macro name: Flurry-of-OMG Macro body: %{Shocknawe|Flurry-of-OMG} Now the name is short, and people can look at your macros more easily. - Gauss
This stuff is pure genius! Thanks for these tips Gauss! I really appreciate it! I had been using them as just macros to keep my toolbar space, but I'll swap it over!

Edited 1380683320
Gauss
Forum Champion
If you want me to take a look at your Abilities when you are done send me a Join link (or PM me). I can look at them and might be able to offer suggestions on how to streamline them. - Gauss
I appreciate the offer, but I've got work in the early morning. I'd probably take you up on the offer tomorrow though!
Brian said: While I can understand the desire for merging the numbers, I have to ask: what does this have to do with confirming a critical? In every game system I've played where critical hits need confirmation, the relevant number is the final result (the value you see without hovering over anything), and whether a roll needs to be confirmed is based on the die roll (the number in parentheses). From one Bryan to another (Brian), I am not sure what games you play, but in D&D Next, the critical is determined by the first 1d20. So I too would like to know if there is anything I can do to tell if the 1d20 was a 20 before adding in any modifiers. I would like to be able to save time from having to hover since the popup boxes causes all numbers to merge into the hover over style.

Edited 1380890947
G.
Sheet Author
- The box surrounding the result should be green or red if there was a critical I believe so unless your inline includes multiple dice rolls, any green box would be natural 20 and any red box would mean natural 1 . I believe if there are multiple crits or varied nature, the box is blue, not sure. - Criticals in Next are mostly used for combat, ie: attack rolls. Calculating damage from critical is very easy since you just need to add the maximum value of the damage dice. Therefore, something like this: /em ?{Attack emote|attacks!} (ATK: [[?{Attack dice number|1}d20?{drop or keep}+@{CharacterName|TOHIT}+?{other bonus|0}]] / DMG: [[@{CharacterName|DAMAGE}+?{other bonus|0}]]) This macro assumes an attribute on the CharacterName sheet for TOHIT (which can be for melee attacks in the 1st field, and ranged attack for the second field, in which case, just add |max) and another with DAMAGE (which includes the dice number for damage as well as bonus to damage, such as 1d8+2) When you run this, you'll have various prompt box appearing. Most of the time, these prompts can be defaulted and you just press enter, enter, etc. However, you can work customize the emote attack, then the dice numbers (for advantage and disavantage attacks), then decide if which you keep (just use "dl1" for advantage and "dh1" for disadvantage roll), then add whatever other bonus from context you need (can be another dice and whatnot, for example if your sword is on fire for one round, just type 1d4), then the same for damage. If the attack roll is a crit (green box around it), just double check quickly to make sure it's a natural 20 by hovering over it, then add the max damage to the damage roll (for example, if you do 1d8+3, just add 8 to the damage). Been using this macro for couple sessions and it works fine, especially if you like keeping things clean in the chat, while being able to quickly type in emotes when you attack.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bryan K. said: Brian said: While I can understand the desire for merging the numbers, I have to ask: what does this have to do with confirming a critical? In every game system I've played where critical hits need confirmation, the relevant number is the final result (the value you see without hovering over anything), and whether a roll needs to be confirmed is based on the die roll (the number in parentheses). From one Bryan to another (Brian), I am not sure what games you play, but in D&D Next, the critical is determined by the first 1d20. So I too would like to know if there is anything I can do to tell if the 1d20 was a 20 before adding in any modifiers. I would like to be able to save time from having to hover since the popup boxes causes all numbers to merge into the hover over style. Bryan, what I meant was that the crit checks the to-hit die/dice (which is in parentheses while hovering), and the confirmation checks the final result of the confirmation roll. Joe asked for all modifiers to be merged into one number, which is why I was confused. I realize the hovering can be bothersome if your to-hit is multiple dice or if you have an expanded critical range, but that wasn't Joe's question. If you're playing something like D&D, though, and you don't have an expanded critical range, just check the border of the yellow box; green means you hit a critical (red means you fumbled, blue means you hit a 1 on a die and max value on a die). Syntax for an expanded critical range would be nice, though.