Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mouse Guard combat system - doable?

I don't know how playing the Mouse Guard combat system would be doable authentically. It uses a system not unlike rock-paper-scissors, where the results determine what kind of skill checks have to be made and what their success or failure means to the outcome. The problem is, while in real life you can do it - every team in the conflict has to come up with a strategy and write their actions on a card, and they reveal the three actions in three rounds, the GM teams first and the player teams right after him - I can't imagine it being doable on Roll20. How could this, or rock-paper-scissors in general, be done?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Could you clarify how the actual Mouse Guard 'rock-paper-scissors' mechanics work? A step by step clarification would help. This way I can better identify what systems we may have to better help you. :) - Gauss
I started writing a long reply with way too much detail, then I remembered I can explain it out of the book itself. Without going into specifics (and with apologies to David Petersen for copy-pasting from his book) here is how a Conflict (arguments, speeches, chase scenes, wars, and of course, combat) plays out. "To play out the tense, tactical nature of a conflict, we use a specific structure. Each team chooses three actions from the following list in advance: Attack, Defend, Feint, Maneuver. Each action has a different effect on how you test. And each action interacts with the other actions in a different way. Actions are chosen in sets of three, then revealed one at a time. Once everyone’s actions are revealed, we play out the interaction—roleplay and make tests. Here’s how it works: Each group privately chooses three actions—1, 2, 3—and notes the choices on the back of the seniormost mouse’s character sheet. It’s traditional for the seniormost mouse on your team to choose your team’s actions and note them on his sheet. Once everyone’s picked, the GM says, “Action 1,” and reveals his first action. Then the player teams reveal their first actions. Once all the actions are declared, resolve them according to their descriptions and the interaction chart at the end of this section. Resolve Actions 2 and 3 in the same way: The GM announces his action, the other groups announce theirs. Roleplay, describe how your characters are undertaking the action, then roll the dice." After that, a new round begins until the Disposition score (essentially, the HP) of any side is not decreased to 0. The problem is that there is no reliable interface for simulating the hidden cards and revealing your actions like this. Any ideas?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Assuming I have understood the game, you should be able to do this with cards. Create 4 decks, attack, defend, feint, and maneuver. Give as many as you need from each deck to the players. Create a section on the map for each player to play 1st, 2nd, and 3rd action. Have the players place the cards face down (hold down shift while clicking on the card and moving it to the map) on the map in the appropriate sections of the map. When it comes time to reveal a card they can flip the card over by right clicking on it and selecting 'flip card'. I hope this helps. - Gauss
I'll try this, see how it works. Thanks!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Let me know how well it works. If I can offer any more assistance let me know. - Gauss
I photoshopped some custom cards up and learned how to use them. This will work. Thanks!
Gauss
Forum Champion
Happy to help. :) - Gauss