Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Random Player Selector Macro?

Hi all, I am new to Roll20 and I am finding it an excellent tool after years of disappointment in these online tools for D&D.  I am running Out of the Abyss and that game has a lot of NPCs plus PCs.  Would like a way to randomly select a NPC and PC during some battles - especially against mindless creatures with reach.  Any way to have a macro attached to a button (or similiar) to just randomely select an NPC and/or PC? Thanks in advance.
You couldn't actually select one without using the API. You could make a rollable table to decide which one to attack. Those don't require a subscription but it can't actually directly effect anything.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I just use the good old dice roll to determine who to hit in those cases.
Likewise, I attacked based on who's giving the mook the most trouble/did the most damage/etc logically going for that attacker.  If that's not applicable, I just roll a 1d(however many possible targets) and go from there.
Thanks all, doesn't have to be fancy - roll on a list/table and spit out the result to the DM.  Where can I learn more about doing that? Hi Mark, Scott,  As the DM I am roleplaying/playing 9 NPCs so anything that reduces that load is welcome.  I keep trying to kill them off  but the PCs keep saving them!  Big hearted fools :)

Edited 1470623663
Gold
Forum Champion
Thanks all, doesn't have to be fancy - roll on a list/table and spit out the result to the DM. Where can I learn more about doing that? Try the Rollable Table feature on Roll20 for that. Wiki docs, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Card_Decks_and_Rollable_Ta" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Card_Decks_and_Rollable_Ta</a>... Once you set up the table, you can whisper the roll result with a macro like this, /gmroll 1t[Name-Of-Your-Player-Selecting-Table]
Hi Gold, thanks, this is what I was looking for.