Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Maps and tokens take forever to load

This seems to be a recent thing, because I have never had this problem before, but my maps are constructed with Philip Wright's endless terrain tiles and now they seem to take several minutes to load. Does anyone else have this problem?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Please send me a join link and I will take a look. - Gauss
Lorien Wright
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Guass, Feel free to let me know if there's anything needed on my end :)

Edited 1380845812
Gauss
Forum Champion
Masaioh, I took a look at your game. You have 164MB being transferred across 22 un-archived pages. If you archive your pages it will speed up load times greatly. I would archive all but a couple of them. Phillip , Guass isn't here at the moment. (kidding!) :D There isn't much you can do unless you can shrink the amount of memory your tiles use. Your map tiles are coming in at about 3-5MB each but if he archives the majority of his pages his load times will increase. - Gauss
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you loaded your maps are png file format you might want to think about converting them to jpg (uness you need the transparency) and removing them from your maps (do that in your art library also) and reload them back into roll20. If you built your maps by the tiles in the marketplace in roll20, I don't know how you could reduce their size. This is a general comment to the map sizes.

Edited 1380846381
Gauss
Forum Champion
Metroknight , this is really more of an page archiving problem rather than a specific set of images on a map problem. Anyone that has a lot of un-archived pages with a lot of images on them will have this problem. Archived pages are not loaded when you load the game. Masaioh just needs to archive most of his pages. However, if people do have a problem with scrolling around a map then the likely culprit is large images or a lot of PNG tiles. - Gauss
How do I archive pages?
Gauss
Forum Champion
Go to the "Page Toolbar" (top right corner of the map, blue icon). Hover over the page you wish to archive, click on the "Page Settings" icon to the left of the page. Scroll to the bottom and hit the "Archive" button. - Gauss
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
True gauss but you usually recommend the jpg format for maps also. It helps with their amount limit and loading speed doesn't it?

Edited 1380856921
Gauss
Forum Champion
Metroknight, not necessarily, JPG's converted from PNG's are often larger while maintaining the same level of resolution. That is why PNGs are preferred in the art community. The problem is that PNGs require more processing power and that is why we recommend JPG over PNG. - Gauss
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
ahh. ok then sorry for my misunderstandings.