Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LMoP map scaling issue ETA

There's been a few issues reported with Lost Mine of Phandelver since it's been released, most seem sorted but the scaling issue on some of the maps still seems to be hanging around, this was an issue from day one and I'm hoping someone has an eta on when it's going to be sorted?
I honestly cant see it getting resolved properly. Some of the maps are just not high enough resolution to be scaled to the 70px per 5 feet needed for the tabletop. For those maps, I re scaled myself, left them a bit blurry and redid any dynamic lighting myself. 
The maps are scaled to their proper dimensions according to the source. The artist made the maps with 10 ft squares.

Edited 1471212524
When I set up LMoP (this is well before the recent, and awesome, announcement re: the WoTC partnership), I set up "Scale: 1 unit =   10 ft. " and enabled Grid to "Size: 0.5  units".  (See the image below.) I did this for both Thundertree and Wave Echo Cave, which I believe are the maps at issue.  I haven't bought the LMoP adventure via Roll20 (previously bought the physical version) -- does this fix the issue with the Roll20 version of the maps?
SkyCaptainXIII said: The maps are scaled to their proper dimensions according to the source. The artist made the maps with 10 ft squares. I've seen you write this on multiple posts about this.  My understanding is that people are asking why the in-game grid isn't set up to have 4 squares for every one on the map.  Are you saying that there are four VTT squares for every one on the map or are you saying that the VTT is set up at 1:1 scale with the module maps?  As a potential purchaser, this is of interest to me.
They are 10ft squares, but I don't think that solves the problem, as the characters / tokens end up taking up the entire 10ft square (instead of 1/4 of it). Again, how I solved this with the digital maps I picked up for the game is above.  I'm not sure if the same solution can be used for the Roll20 version as I don't have that version.
Brett M. said: When I set up LMoP (this is well before the recent, and awesome, announcement re: the WoTC partnership), I set up "Scale: 1 unit =   10 ft. " and enabled Grid to "Size: 0.5  units".  (See the image below.) I did this for both Thundertree and Wave Echo Cave, which I believe are the maps at issue.  I haven't bought the LMoP adventure via Roll20 (previously bought the physical version) -- does this fix the issue with the Roll20 version of the maps? That does seem to work, but the visual grid is still at 10ft, and I guess I have to manually rescale the tokens, this should be all done by default for this module tbh :/
Brian said: SkyCaptainXIII said: The maps are scaled to their proper dimensions according to the source. The artist made the maps with 10 ft squares. I've seen you write this on multiple posts about this.  My understanding is that people are asking why the in-game grid isn't set up to have 4 squares for every one on the map.  Are you saying that there are four VTT squares for every one on the map or are you saying that the VTT is set up at 1:1 scale with the module maps?  As a potential purchaser, this is of interest to me. The map was set up according to the scale it was created. No solution is going to match everyone's expectation. So using the map scale by default is the safest option. When I ran LMoP face to face and printed out the thundertree map, we had this "issue" as well and just ignored the scale and combat was more theater of the mind than tactical on a to scale gridded map.
Phil B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Like SkyCaptainXIII mentioned, the scale we set the maps to is based off the scale of the maps in the original LMoP content, which is 10ft squares instead of the usual 5ft squares. It's not possible for us to undraw the grid that is already on the map, so we match the Roll20 grid to what is already there on the map in an effort to match the original content at closely as possible. If you would like for the Roll20 grid to be 5ft squares, there are 2 options: 1. Like Brett M said, you can shrink the scale of the map to make it so that 4 squares are inside of each of the map's drawn grid. If you do this, you will just have to adjust the size of all of the tokens on the map to fit the new scale. All of the dynamic lighting and token positions will still be correct. 2. Double the size of the map. The tokens will stay the same size, but you will have to move all of the tokens to match the size of the new map. The map will also look less crisp as you are expanding an image past it's original size. You will also have to redraw the dynamic lighting walls to match the new map size.

Edited 1471713512
Gabriel403 said: That does seem to work, but the visual grid is still at 10ft, and I guess I have to manually rescale the tokens, this should be all done by default for this module tbh :/ Don't know if this will help with the visual grid, but if you look at my image post above, and see where it says "Color" and "Opacity" under "Grid", play with Color and Opacity (increase Opacity and use a colour - I found white or grey was best), and you should see a 5x5 grid appear from this. Again, I don't have the Roll20 version of the adventure, but this worked for my maps I picked up before the adventured was released.  Here are two comparison screen shots of what I'm getting at...  (This is from Thundertree -- you can see the edge of Area/Building #3 just on the north edge of the screen shots.  I set up the other 10' map similarly.) Grid Opacity Low (Off - no 5x5 grid showing) Grid Opacity Higher ('On' - 5x5 grid showing as light white, so players could see / determine a 5' movement)
Brett M. said: Gabriel403 said: That does seem to work, but the visual grid is still at 10ft, and I guess I have to manually rescale the tokens, this should be all done by default for this module tbh :/ Don't know if this will help with the visual grid, but if you look at my image post above, and see where it says "Color" and "Opacity" under "Grid", play with Color and Opacity (increase Opacity and use a colour - I found white or grey was best), and you should see a 5x5 grid appear from this. Again, I don't have the Roll20 version of the adventure, but this worked for my maps I picked up before the adventured was released.  Here are two comparison screen shots of what I'm getting at...  (This is from Thundertree -- you can see the edge of Area/Building #3 just on the north edge of the screen shots.  I set up the other 10' map similarly.) Grid Opacity Low (Off - no 5x5 grid showing) Grid Opacity Higher ('On' - 5x5 grid showing as light white, so players could see / determine a 5' movement) Works a beauty! Cheers, still think this should be sorted by default though :/ The tokens are still the wrong scale for grid
Phil B. said: Like SkyCaptainXIII mentioned, the scale we set the maps to is based off the scale of the maps in the original LMoP content, which is 10ft squares instead of the usual 5ft squares. It's not possible for us to undraw the grid that is already on the map, so we match the Roll20 grid to what is already there on the map in an effort to match the original content at closely as possible. If you would like for the Roll20 grid to be 5ft squares, there are 2 options: 1. Like Brett M said, you can shrink the scale of the map to make it so that 4 squares are inside of each of the map's drawn grid. If you do this, you will just have to adjust the size of all of the tokens on the map to fit the new scale. All of the dynamic lighting and token positions will still be correct. 2. Double the size of the map. The tokens will stay the same size, but you will have to move all of the tokens to match the size of the new map. The map will also look less crisp as you are expanding an image past it's original size. You will also have to redraw the dynamic lighting walls to match the new map size. If we leave the map as is, with each square representing 10ft, that's workable, but all the tokens are still too large. At 10ft a square I'm pretty sure the Giant Spider isn't 20ftx20ft, but on the map it's taking up 2x2 squares.
Phil B. said: Like SkyCaptainXIII mentioned, the scale we set the maps to is based off the scale of the maps in the original LMoP content, which is 10ft squares instead of the usual 5ft squares. It's not possible for us to undraw the grid that is already on the map, so we match the Roll20 grid to what is already there on the map in an effort to match the original content at closely as possible. If you would like for the Roll20 grid to be 5ft squares, there are 2 options: 1. Like Brett M said, you can shrink the scale of the map to make it so that 4 squares are inside of each of the map's drawn grid. If you do this, you will just have to adjust the size of all of the tokens on the map to fit the new scale. All of the dynamic lighting and token positions will still be correct. 2. Double the size of the map. The tokens will stay the same size, but you will have to move all of the tokens to match the size of the new map. The map will also look less crisp as you are expanding an image past it's original size. You will also have to redraw the dynamic lighting walls to match the new map size. Players that bought this module shouldn't have to fix the scaling since minimal setup is why the module was bought in the first place. It's an easy but slightly tedious for players to fix. I hope this isn't an issue with future modules.
The scaling isn't wrong. The map was created by the artist at 10 feet per square. So that's what roll20 used for the scale.
SkyCaptainXIII said: The scaling isn't wrong. The map was created by the artist at 10 feet per square. So that's what roll20 used for the scale. But the tokens are set up as if the map is 5 feet per square, hence why a giant spider, which is meant to be 10ft (meaning it should fit in one square) take up 20ft (2 squares)

Edited 1472309626
I tried to post this politely above, but holy crap people... Roll20 has created, from what I see, a 95% awesome **version 1.0** of Lost Mines that saves DMs HORDES of time, and we're complaining about two maps? I UNDERSTAND the issues of having to handle two maps (re-sizing tokens and/or changing grids).  How do I understand?  Because I have set up ALL Lost Mine maps, including ALL monsters and tokens BEFORE not only this release but BEFORE the drag-and-drop OGL. To be clear -- that means I typed all the stupid stuff in. So let's be more thankful for the hard work Roll20 has put into NEGOTIATING this license, and then PRODUCING two adventures (and I'm sure more behind the scenes).  Are there problems?  Yes. Even with those problems do these products save you TENS to HUNDREDS of hours of time so you can get a game up and running QUICKER?  YES! The problem has been noted. I'm sure they are working on it. Period.  Make the grid changes above, and resize your tokens. Period. (I'm not affiliated with Roll20, and I'm sorry if I don't fully understand the issue with the purchased adventure -- I'm going from what I've read in the forums.  I've just had enough of the whining about re-sizing two maps or re-sizing probably 20 tokens. I can assure you that gamers in Italy are having a lot harder time resizing their tokens too - what with the earthquakes and everything...)
Brett M. said: I tried to post this politely above, but holy crap people... Roll20 has created, from what I see, a 95% awesome **version 1.0** of Lost Mines that saves DMs HORDES of time, and we're complaining about two maps? I UNDERSTAND the issues of having to handle two maps (re-sizing tokens and/or changing grids).  How do I understand?  Because I have set up ALL Lost Mine maps, including ALL monsters and tokens BEFORE not only this release but BEFORE the drag-and-drop OGL. To be clear -- that means I typed all the stupid stuff in. So let's be more thankful for the hard work Roll20 has put into NEGOTIATING this license, and then PRODUCING two adventures (and I'm sure more behind the scenes).  Are there problems?  Yes. Even with those problems do these products save you TENS to HUNDREDS of hours of time so you can get a game up and running QUICKER?  YES! The problem has been noted. I'm sure they are working on it. Period.  Make the grid changes above, and resize your tokens. Period. (I'm not affiliated with Roll20, and I'm sorry if I don't fully understand the issue with the purchased adventure -- I'm going from what I've read in the forums.  I've just had enough of the whining about re-sizing two maps or re-sizing probably 20 tokens. I can assure you that gamers in Italy are having a lot harder time resizing their tokens too - what with the earthquakes and everything...) Ignoring the rather insensitive comment about Italy, if you read the original post all I've asked for is an ETA of the issues.
My comment about Italy wasn't to be insensitive, but to point out there are bigger issues than having to re-size a few tokens.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
It doesn't help Plus or Free users, but Pro subscribers can use this API script&nbsp;I threw together to rescale all the tactical maps that aren't at 5ft scale. Just load the script up and run: !nps I've tested this with Lost Mines of Phandelver and it works pretty well. ( Note : If something goes wrong, you can move maps back from a new Module Game via Transmogrifier. =D) Gist:&nbsp; <a href="https://gist.github.com/shdwjk/92f41797209be0be612" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/shdwjk/92f41797209be0be612</a>...