Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Drawing a base around a token

Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It would be helpful to have the option to draw a base around a token for two reasons: 1. Sometimes the background map is simply to dark to see the tokens well. A drawn base around that token would help much for it's visibility. 2. In some games, bases are important to determine if someone is attackable for example (savage worlds), even you don't need a grid. A base would help here much. I image the base as a simple rectangle, hex or round box (options), witch is either filled or unfilled. The base itself should be at a varible size and should not be limited to grid fields. I would like to have for example a 1x1 grid with a dragon who's base is something like 3x8.
Abd: Have you tried using the Auras setting for this?
It might be worthwhile to composite the tokens with a contrast fringe. That is, render a 2-pixel spread "drop shadow" in white (or black, or anything that can be contrasted with), then a 1-pixel spread shadow in black (or something that contrasts with the first color), then the token on top of it. That guarantees that the token's outline is always a high contrast region. This is how text rendering on arbitrary backgrounds (i.e. text on a desktop background) is done.
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Abd: Have you tried using the Auras setting for this? Yes, but it will cost me an aura :)