Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

token marker layering

"3. If you stack tokens (PC standing on the corpse of a slain NPC) the markers on the NPC (notably the X) are layered above the PC even if you do Send To Back on the NPC." from Eric Dalquist in the First Experiences thread.
Thanks for reposting that into bug reports. It really did make keeping dead NPCs around a pain
At the moment it's easier to send corpses to the Map layer, though I think I remember Riley mentioning something about having a look at the z-layers in one of the other 'z-layer keeps re-ordering things' discussions. But yeah, it's a total pain, especially when you're layering decor to try and get a specific effect (moss over water to create marsh or loot-piles, for example) and the order keeps shifting so instead of a nice swamp you have a puddle or instead of a nice pile of goodies you end up with a big splodge of gold coins you were using as a background...
I must just be weird, because I always just delete tokens for dead monsters (unless I plan on them being re-animated during the fight, then they might go to the GM Layer) Not saying this to detract from the bug, since there's still other reasons they might be stacked, like if they're a "swarm" creature, or mounted etc.
I love to leave dead monsters on the table. No better way to make a fight more interesting than being able to say "Yes, you can stand there and attack. You'll get +2 for the attack from a raised position, but you have to make an agility roll every attack or you'll fall off the dead oger."
I tried sending them to the map layer but when I do that they lose the markers and are no missing the nice pretty red X :( We like to leave the bodies and make them difficult terrain. You can stand on the body but it costs an extra movement to enter the square