Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character sheet issues since last update.

Edited 1381724396
Hey Roll20 crew and others, now that I think about it, ever since the changes were made several weeks ago to the character sheet spacing and such, that is when everything within my character sheets have been really messing up. A few examples are: 1. The collapsing of cells of entire tables added on sheets. Meaning entire tables collapse and I am left with a massive giant blob of jumbled text. (Gauss knows about this issue and has a few provided screenshots.) 2. The mis-alignment of text. Meaning everything defaults to the left and you are not able to center anything anymore after saving because it reverts back to default left. 3. When adding columns right or left, or, rows to the top or bottom the new areas added will show up somewhere else within the table or even appearing in other tables on your sheet where the areas were not even supposed to be added. 4. Same thing as #3 but when you are deleting columns or rows of cells. This will even delete other cells from other tables that you werent even trying to modify or delete. 5. It seems when this is happening it is adding the cells and rows to the very bottom of the sheet. This is what has been happening most of the time. 6. The ability to copy and paste as well. You used to be able to copy paste tables from one sheet to another sheet, but now it wont even paste tables anymore since the changes. And if you are lucky to get something to paste then most of the cells are missing with some cells being ok. Is there anyway to get these issues functioning properly again pre last update by chance? David

Edited 1381666650
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
So, to clarify, were there issues with your existing sheets (e.g. you opened up a sheet you hadn't modified, and it was broken) after the update? Or are these issues only happening when you try to create new sheets (e.g. with copy/pasting) or when you try to modify existing sheets (e.g. adding new table cells/rows)? I guess I'm asking if this is a presentation issue (you opened something after the update and it looked jumbled) or an editing issue (you can no longer edit things the same way you could before).
Hello Riley Yes the issues are with the nine different class sheets I have for D&D next that were all made before the update. More so the Cleric and Mage sheets because they have many more columns then the other sheets. Several times during the last two weeks I have been informed by either my players or by myself checking out the sheets. Here are a few screenshots of what I am talking about. This is a before screenshot of a mage sheet of what it looks like pre collapse. And this is when the cell just disappears and the text is just in a huge blob. What I noticed is that this only happens with the sheets that have quite a few more columns. And as for making new sheets for the Dragon Age game I am fixing to start playing the character sheet has a lot of weird things going on as well. The add row below and above functions seem to throw columns where it wants a lot of the times when I want to add another row or column. Also the copy paste function sometimes will work but most of the time it will either not paste anything in there or will paste about half or even less of what is supposed to have been pasted. Meaning if there are cells that do not have anything in them then they wont appear in the paste. And as for copy pasting in the pre update sheets in my Thursday game, the copy/paste function is much much worse. Dave

Edited 1381703811
Here is another screenshot of another problem with the character sheet about copying and pasting. Here I have constructed a 2 column 7 row table. I even add text in the right column to even assure a copy and when I paste the table it is broken and not pasting correctly. Here you can see the cells are not even there except for the bottom cell. All of the missing cells above it should be identical.
Sorry the SS's are a little blurry but I am making them as large as I can for the forum posts.
Here is another problem that keeps happening as well. This is where you add a row on top or bottom or a column to the right or left. In this screenshot, you can see where I drew the arrow on the right where the column was supposed to be placed. You can also see the cursor that is in the last cell on the right as well. The drawn arrow on the left is where the actual column was placed which was between column one and column two. That is seven columns to the left of where it was supposed to go hehe. David
Here is another thing I have been running into. Copy and pasting. See the SS below. The image on the left shows a table on the top of the character sheet that I just pasted in there. That worked fine. Now you can see where I tried to post another identical table and right belowe the first one and it pasted with absolutely no table whatsoever. David
Ill keep adding them as I run into the issues so you can have a visual. Dave
I had the same problem in pasting tables as shown here <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/393381/removed-color-text-and-highlings-in-gm-notes-in-tokens-and-error-in-the-tables/#post-400404" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/393381/removed-color-text-and-highlings-in-gm-notes-in-tokens-and-error-in-the-tables/#post-400404</a> . Apparently it is a problem of identification of html.
I pushed out an update to Main (it won't be on Dev until Friday due to other changes waiting on Dev) that should have helped with at least some of these issues. Particularly the "clicking Add Row doesn't add it where I think it should", and possibly with the copy+paste issues. Please re-test and let me know if it helped any :-) Thanks!
Thanks Riley, Ill check it out on Friday when you put it on the Dev server. David
Here are 3 more issues in the character sheet as of 5am Thursday October 17, 2013. In this screenshot there is a cell totally missing now. This has been happening for some time now but I never posted about it or took any SS's. You just open up the character sheet and Surprise!!! A missing cell for you! It seems this mainly occurs to cells that have nothing in it, or, if just a word or two, or even a single digit number. #2 and #3 are before and after affect. As you can see here in this second SS when I went to add an item to a character sheet for one of my players, the item added (Ring of Protection) was added and it was in a larger heading not what was selected by me. So, I highlighted Ring of Protection and selected Normal Text from the Formatting drop down and this is the result in the next SS. As you can see in this screenshot, which is blurry from making it larger, you can see that after I highlighted and selected Normal Text from the Formatting drop down feature did not work, and as an added bonus, it deleted the bottom of the cell as well. It seems that just about anything I am doing to the sheets now end up destroying it and I have to remake them, I am putting way to much extra time into this when I should not be. I cannot be the only person this is happening to. David

Edited 1382021223
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
David, Were you able to re-test any of the old issues such as the copy+paste and the inserting columns/rows? Were any of them fixed? Honestly, my guess is that what's happening is you are dealing with malformed HTML. So basically you are copying and pasting in these tables from external sources as opposed to making them from scratch in the editor (I'm making an assumption here, so correct me if I'm wrong). And when pasting them in, the HTML is very complicated and not really well-formed. The editor is doing its best to clean it up into something usable, but later when you are attempting to go back and edit the table you're running into these issues because the "foundation" you are working on is not really all that stable. At any rate, I'm really sorry that you're having these issues, and as you can see from our frequent responses to this thread and the fact that we're pushing out code around this issue, we are doing our best to make it a better experience. Feel free to send me one or two of the source PDFs/Word Docs that you are pasting things out of to <a href="mailto:riley@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">riley@roll20.net</a> , and I will take a closer look at what's going on and see if I can get it to behave any better.
Hello Riley. The last three SS's were from last night / this am and the same thing was happening. I'm not pasting anything from external sources into the character or monster sheets because of the complications that arose from doing that. I have basically translated everything myself into all these character sheets, which is the frustrating part about all of this. I appreciate you doing this as well. Im not trying to seem cranky or anything but its just the thought of the hundreds and hundreds of hours I have into this, which was supposed to be a one time, major time investment to make everything much easier from here on out. David