Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic lighting and fog of war

So I'm using dynamic lighting for the first time and the one aspect I really don't like is that my players can't see the areas of the map they have already explored. Ideally I'd like dynamic lighting to automatically update fog of war per player and retain LOS limits for the token layer. Practically being able to use FOW on the map layer and Dynamic lighting on the token layer would be enough to accomplish what I need. It just feels weird that once they explore areas that they have no memory of the fixed features.  Any way to accomplish this?

Edited 1474058757
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
There is some work being done on API scripts to implement this in some way. This is also the second highest voted  suggestion in the suggestion forums. Until either of those comes out, there's not really an easy way to do it yet. EDIT: should clarify, I have seen some proof of concept scripts for this, but I don't actually know how far a long any of them are.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
You could make a token that emits light. Give control to all players and drop them along the path as they explore
Gold
Forum Champion
Franky H. said: You could make a token that emits light. Give control to all players and drop them along the path as they explore This, the breadcrumb method (dropping player-controlled torch tokens along their path) is the usual recommended approach or workaround. See also the Roll20 wiki Dynamic Lighting guide for some settings, <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Dynamic_Lighting_Examples" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Dynamic_Lighting_Examples</a>
I gave the tokens a whirl. It looks like it'll go for now. Making them dim from the start and low range makes it feel more like navigation beacons.&nbsp;