Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What's the price of using multi-sided tokens?

I hear multi-sided tokens can slow things down or... something... how much does that really cost? What does it do to your game? I ask since I want to use some randomizable tiles for the floor of maps, and I don't want to do it if it's going to turn into a problem having a bunch of them onscreen. How many instances of the same randomizable token is too many? Or is it about how many options it has as well?  Basically, any guidance appreciated!
I've never experienced any issues with using tokens from a rollable table. I think the only slow down you will see is from the number of objects you have on the map. I 50x50 map with 100 tiles on it will use more memory and lag more that a single map made in a paint program and loaded in. I don't think the multi-sided token is the issue, just the number of them. 
I can't see any slowdown, and I use a lot of multi-sided tokens. 
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
I've never had a big issue with them. We use them for our shapeshifters, as well as our summon animal spells. 
Well that's a relief... thank you all! I've never drawn full maps from components inside Roll20 before, so knowing it's mainly about overall quantity of graphics helps a lot.
Gold
Forum Champion
I think that Ed gave good advice on this. Here is the Roll20 Wiki page regarding optimizing performance, (it likewise mentions the number of objects as a possible factor), &nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performa" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performa</a>...
Thanks Gold! I was just speaking from experience.&nbsp;I had done a map using a rollable table dungeon tile set and I liked the effect, but after loading all the extra dungeon dressing, tokens and dynamic lighting, it started to lag too much for me. I ended up rebuilding the base dungeon in photoshop and reloading it into the game as a single image and had much better results.&nbsp; I would only recommend using a dungeon tile set up with a quick start dungeon on the fly. More persistent maps with more going on will get better performance with a single image. &nbsp;
The slowness is from finding the right side of the token. The image selection popup needs to be twice as big as it is at least.

Edited 1474153702
Jen
Pro
Noted, Ed -- maybe I'll use roll20 as a quick layout method, randomize my tiles, then screencap it and patch it back together in Photoshop. :D And thanks again, everybody.
There is a&nbsp; API script that lets you hit one button and flip a mess of tokens to the pre-selected 'side'. &nbsp;If you set up the rollabel tables right, you can make a macro the players can hit to change form (if that's their thing).

Edited 1474157413
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Note: For the API to change the side, all the images in the rollable table must be in a user library for this to work. (If you want to use Marketplace assets for this, you must first download them and then upload them to your user library. )
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There is also a useful script for&nbsp; recording DL lines for certain graphics, make a rollable table out of these tiles and the API will apply your DL for you as you change it (i've made a bunch of tiled maps pieces which will form an ever changing maze coupled with the script linked by CPP above), lots of fun and no noticeable slow down either.