Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Handout Text Editor Needs Work

While I love a lot of the changes in Roll20's Journal feature recently, the handout text editor could really use an increase in stability. It doesn't allow cut-and-pasting of text from another program without borking the formatting. It doesn't allow any sane use of "Ctrl+Z," and you stand to lose massive amounts of work if you foolishly hit that key combination. Further, it's just generally squirrelly and doesn't always behave in a predictable manner. (Spacing may not change consistently, bulleted lists are difficult to manage and can be impossible to "undo," and formatting options may apply in very strange "bleed" manner that cannot be easily corrected--for example.) Either a more robust and stable text editor would be much appreciated--or, if we were allowed to directly affect the formatting via HTML or similar, then we would have more stable and direct control over our output. At the very least, allowing us to effectively create offline RTF files and then upload them as handouts (which I don't believe is currently possible) or similar would go a long way to making the handouts more useful.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I believe if you paste HTML code into the text editor, it gets automatically parsed and rendered. Editing it after that might get funky, depending on what the HTML is, and some HTML might get sanitized and not work, but it's something to try. As far as I'm aware, the text editor is a piece of third-party software, and it's the same as the one here for posting in the forum. I'm not a huge fan of it either, to be honest, but it's usually  Good Enough™.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I always make my longer posts in Markdown and then paste the formatted text into the Handout or Forum. Saves me a lot of trouble, really.