Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

In Regards to SoundCloud

Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Brother Sharp said: Just because they have done good stuff in the past it does not mean we should not raise our voice if we see Roll20 heading in the wrong direction. If they continue with adding royalty free tracks, I would be unhappy and most probably lose hope on whatever next thing they bring until I cancel my sub and ditch this for other alternatives. These opinions need to be voiced, so Roll20 can judge as a team on which clients to please and which to let go. Unless they have psychic powers, they will not be able to tell how the community feels. If your future vision for Roll20 is to listen to every 1000 tracks added just to realize that none of them has what you are looking for (Which I am going through), then by all means keep on cheering them. I agree that people need to voice their opinions, but people also need to realize that many (I'm guessing, here, because I only see relatively few users posting) of us are unconcerned with the Jukebox. Honestly, does the sound contribute to a good game? Maybe. Is it earth-shattering to not have it? I guess for streamers maybe? Maybe I'm just old because the jukebox never even enticed me to look at it. I'm impressed that they got a solution (or at least one solution) developed as quickly as they did. But honestly, I'd rather see them working on getting font support for character sheets and handouts because that's what I use the most, and that could add a lot to the game—more than music does for me. Why did I post this? Only to bring to light that if it is the level of our "outrage" that implies importance, that there are many people who aren't posting on this issue. Roll20 definitely needs to know what the community wants, but we need to remember that a topic about one aspect of the system will only garner complaints about that aspect from people who use that feature and that user-base may be relatively small compared to the entire community—so, a bunch of complaints in one, very specific topic, does not equate to importance. I'd be very interested to see if there are any stats on how many games use the Jukebox. Perhaps it's a bigger deal than I realize.

Edited 1475173527
Finderski said: Why did I post this? Only to bring to light that if it is the level of our "outrage" that implies importance, that there are many people who aren't posting on this issue.  Give it time, it happened in the middle of the work week, many users only play on the weekends and are likely unaware of the issue still. (The cutoff with sound cloud happened two full days before I visited my campaign and noticed all my 800+ tracks had been rendered unusable.) More so when until game night comes most players will be blissfully ignorant of the problem given they tend not to frequent the site except on game nights, or if they do, notice when a GM feature like the jukebox is no longer working. When a full week or two has passed and more users are aware you may see a sharp uptick in the number of vocal unhappy people if R20 hasn't found a solution by then. (Or not when many unhappy players will simply look to their GM to "speak up or find a solution" for the group rather than give rise to their feelings here.) As it is I have 7 other people who play in my campaigns that are very upset about this issue and expect me to be the group advocate on R20 and find a way to still deliver the same level of quality they've come to expect (demand?) that they've enjoyed over the past 11 months. All that aside, I can understand why you may not see how audio can be so useful, but to those of us who rely on ambient tracks and custom theme music to help create the right atmosphere, (which is especially important in horror games or ones with cinematic flair) this loss is as painful to us as suddenly losing custom handouts, or the ability to upload non R20 marketplace tokens would be for the rest of the community that doesn't use the Jukebox. That is to say a serious/crippling impact to their games, and not something they could easily "do without."

Edited 1475174184
It's definitely useful and for many users, like Silveressa, making customized original audio content having that direct upload capability is pretty critical. A lot of types of games need audio journals and use sound effects in place of the tabletop visual queues. The problem is, for every player like Silveressa working with their own content there will be a thousand like Brother Sharp that will use licensed music like soundtracks or artists like Two Steps from Hell through that upload when they may or may not have the license to do so. With that risk, plus the issue of all the folks out there streaming (and especially streaming with monitization), this poses a serious legal risk to Roll20. I'd guess there are discussions going on to support both users like Silveressa and Brother Sharp going on in the background, but something to consider: To license music playing system will likely take a legal team review of whatever process is made. If a new internal system is developed it has to be developed, tested, and pass legal team review. If a new 3rd party system like Soundcloud is partnered with, those arrangements are going to require discussion, evaluation of what options are available (and which ones will be the most stable to ensure this doesn't happen again), and then considerable meetings and negotiation with those services to ensure they get off the ground (and, again, then testing to ensure they are working before going live). Point is we should be patient. A good fix is probably not going to be a quick fix. I'm just some guy on the internet, though. Who knows how things will shake out.
Good point Encartrus, though I would think adding some kind of disclaimer check box for the Jukebox that  "The user takes sole responsibility for adhering to all respective copyright laws in the use of this program" would help provide sufficient protection to R20 for any legal issues with the use of uploading audio tracks. Still you're right, a good solution will take sometime to get sorted, I'm still quite shocked Soundcloud pulled the plug like this did without even giving a 24hr notice to R20 of their intent.
It's nice that new music has been added but I'm sure many would agree with me that there needs to be a solution where we can use our own sounds and music. I would upload sounds to sound cloud to use in game. I really want to be able to achieve the same, not just pick sounds and music from a source like tabletop audio. Creating games is a creative process and it's hugely gratifying to fit the right sounds and music to your game; not just some "good enough" solution. I fully appreciate, however, that this issue is being looked at, is new, and is not of your making. The dropbox/Google solution seems a really good shout.
The Dropbox/Goggle solution should be done. However this may take sometime until it is ready. Meanwhile, adding more musics options seems a "good enought" workaround. But we need sound FX at least. Lots of.
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Give it time, it happened in the middle of the work week, many users only play on the weekends and are likely unaware of the issue still. This is 100% accurate.  Most people aren't aware their music is broken yet.  On top of that, only GMs are probably going to come here and post, and the majority of Roll20 users are players, not GMs.  The issue effects everyone, but people running games are the ones that are going to address it.
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Point is we should be patient. A good fix is probably not going to be a quick fix. I'm just some guy on the internet, though. Who knows how things will shake out. Honestly I'm of the opinion the era of partnering with a sound service is at an end.  The market is changing drastically and they will be cutting support for 3rd party niche stuff that's a drain on resources more and more. I'd say how much I'd be in favor of a cloud solution, but I've actually posted along those lines over the last three pages several times.  I really think it's the only viable way to go.  That said, if it checks out for them (I'm sure the legal side might take as long as the coding side, in this case) it's just a matter of writing some new code for the Jukebox.  I'll be a little disappointed if they don't have the issue dealt with in about a month's time, but I also think they will probably have it dealt with long before that deadline.
We don't want this thread to spiral too far out into the weeds (which tends to happen when folks are stuck speculating), so be advised that if things don't simmer just a tad we will close this topic. We are not fully prepared to give exact details yet (as we're still examining logistics-- both feasibility and timeframe), but if everything works out I think we have a suite of solutions coming into place that will take care of the following concerns: A large enough library to cover a breadth of sound genres A method for creators to share their audio work with the greater Roll20 community Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games None of this is yet rock-solid, but it looks very good. Our hope is that in the end the greatest loss here is simply SoundCloud-specific work within our interface.  Please hang tight and give us a few more business days to start integrating these options. Thanks.

Edited 1475184646
I can see how this is such a hot potato issue.  While I appreciate Kevin Macleod, I too find that his work isn't as... "epic?" as I would like.  I too would like to upload as I use alot of FFXIV music, and I have all the OST cds, the problem is under our copyright law, it specifically states that: A)Play, perform or show the work in public is restricted. B)Broadcast the work or include it in a cable broadcast is restricted.  Now we can totally argue the well its not public, it's private, as we need to log in, and our players need to be invited, and they can't download it from the room, it would be no different than if we were all in a living room of someone's house and playing the cd in that house.  Is it broadcasting if we have 4 people in different houses all hearing the same thing?  Can that point be argue? Of course it can! The issue of course, is arguing cost attorney fees, and they will also drag roll20 into this as they are the ones that "aided and abetted" if they were to provide us the means to do it.  Yes they could put disclaimers and check boxes like Silveressa suggested, and it's the right thing to do, but I also know for a fact that Napster had that same disclaimer, and we know what happened to them.  So I am able to see both ends, I totally get that we want to use our EPIC sounds and music, and how our screwed up copy right laws are impeding business decisions.   To an extent, I agree that Roll20 should have had a plan B, since soundcloud had issues with them in the past, and soundcloud is a sinking ship financially, even if it didn't happen last weekend, they are not sustainable as a business.  Well hindsight is 20/20.  I agree somewhat with Brother Sharp about we should say something if it is going the wrong direction, but I feel that I also need to question, who or what decides what is "wrong", is legally correct but not what you wanted "wrong?"  The point is, yes we should be vocal, but we should all do it nicely, and fairly, because it isn't just juggling with clients desire, there is a whole legal aspect that is far far more complicated they have to consider.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Silveressa said: Give it time, it happened in the middle of the work week, many users only play on the weekends and are likely unaware of the issue still. (The cutoff with sound cloud happened two full days before I visited my campaign and noticed all my 800+ tracks had been rendered unusable.) More so when until game night comes most players will be blissfully ignorant of the problem given they tend not to frequent the site except on game nights, or if they do, notice when a GM feature like the jukebox is no longer working. When a full week or two has passed and more users are aware you may see a sharp uptick in the number of vocal unhappy people if R20 hasn't found a solution by then. (Or not when many unhappy players will simply look to their GM to "speak up or find a solution" for the group rather than give rise to their feelings here.) As it is I have 7 other people who play in my campaigns that are very upset about this issue and expect me to be the group advocate on R20 and find a way to still deliver the same level of quality they've come to expect (demand?) that they've enjoyed over the past 11 months. That's fair. Also, as I mentioned, I'm somewhat old and still don't see the travesty; which isn't to say it isn't a travesty—I just don't see it. :) Different strokes and all that. Either way, I hope a resolution is found that can satisfy everyone. 

Edited 1475189801
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Silveressa said: Robert R. said: I would recommend that you go to Soundcloud and download most of your songs for whatever solution we move to, you don't have to lose them all.&nbsp; This isn't a recommendation to pirate, most songs on Soundcloud can be downloaded legally. I've been doing this all day with my r20 sound library using the sound cloud downloader&nbsp; <a href="http://9soundclouddownloader.com/" rel="nofollow">http://9soundclouddownloader.com/</a> it quickly converts soundcloud tracks into .mp3's you can then save to your computer. (The only downside is you have to rename the file to your preferred title yourself when downloading since it assigns it a random alphanumeric combination on creation of the file. Hopefully they'll have an alternative up and running soon for us. Use soundtake.net instead.&nbsp; It keeps the entire track listing and has a much better interface, though you might need to refresh every 20 mins or so when downloading a large playlist. It does let you que up a whole play list to download one at a time, however, which is nice.

Edited 1475268983
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Tom W. said: I can see how this is such a hot potato issue. &nbsp;While I appreciate Kevin Macleod, I too find that his work isn't as... "epic?" as I would like. &nbsp;I too would like to upload as I use alot of FFXIV music, and I have all the OST cds, the problem is under our copyright law, it specifically states that: A)Play, perform or show the work in public is restricted. B)Broadcast the work or include it in a cable broadcast is restricted.&nbsp; Now we can totally argue the well its not public, it's private, as we need to log in, and our players need to be invited, and they can't download it from the room, it would be no different than if we were all in a living room of someone's house and playing the cd in that house. &nbsp;Is it broadcasting if we have 4 people in different houses all hearing the same thing? &nbsp;Can that point be argue? Of course it can! The same laws designed to protect small viewings such as watching a DVD with friends, playing music at a party, etc. do in fact apply to internet law.&nbsp; It's just these things get much trickier, because your friends at the party can't go home with a link to the music if they want to buy it, for example.&nbsp; So in most settings it's blurry. In Roll20's case, honestly, it isn't so much.&nbsp; It doesn't link players to the music at all.&nbsp; So if the music is being played from someone's personally owned data source (why I keep thinking cloud stuff is the way to go), then it is entirely on that person to abide by copyright law; Roll20 is providing a virtual room and nothing more.&nbsp; You don't sue the venue if the DJ of a private event uses pirated music, you do sue them if the DJ was on the payroll.&nbsp; In Roll20's case it's the former; we're a virtual private party, so to speak. ED:&nbsp; That said being right has nothing to do with law in the US.&nbsp; If someone big doesn't like the way you do things they will sue you and sue you and sue you until you can't afford to fight anymore, even if you're in the right.&nbsp; It's ridiculous, but I realize smaller sites like Roll20 have to be careful to avoid that situation.
Robert R.
Plus
Marketplace Creator
Nolan T. J. said: We are not fully prepared to give exact details yet (as we're still examining logistics-- both feasibility and timeframe), but if everything works out I think we have a suite of solutions coming into place that will take care of the following concerns: A large enough library to cover a breadth of sound genres A method for creators to share their audio work with the greater Roll20 community Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games Thanks for the update.&nbsp; I've been very impressed with the way Roll20's been handling this.&nbsp; If you can nail 1, 2, and 3 this whole thing could turn into a flat out improvement!
Nolan T. J. said: Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games Please hang tight and give us a few more business days to start integrating these options. Thanks. Glad to hear this issue is being addressed, as it's one I hear echoed most by the majority of users, the need to upload out own audio files for use. (and whatever the solution please allow for playing multiple tracks at once since layering ambient wind/rain etc sound effects under music really sets some scenes.) Also I am very pleased with how R20 is handling this in being so open and communicative with the community, it's customer service like that which makes me happy to keep paying for a Pro account for as long as I'm playing rpg's (which will likely be for the next 40+ years.)
Nolan T. J. said: We are not fully prepared to give exact details yet (as we're still examining logistics-- both feasibility and timeframe), but if everything works out I think we have a suite of solutions coming into place that will take care of the following concerns: A large enough library to cover a breadth of sound genres A method for creators to share their audio work with the greater Roll20 community Do you have any plans in the future to allow users to submit sites that give royalty free music and you review and add their libraries into Roll20? If not do you plan to give a poll of valid sources every time you are about to add a new source so the users can choose? More than half of my library was from Japanese free music libraries and my SFX were all from stuff distributed in Japan under the creative commons. The sound track from these sites are already being used on RPG maker games sold on steam in English, but I know for a fact that Roll20 would never see such places as possible sources to add music from regardless of how good they might be. My next question is whether you are looking into allowing the distribution of music through already established markets. For example, Amazon distributes digital audio and OSTs from various games/movies etc.. You could strike a deal with Amazon to let us link our Amazon accounts with Roll20 so you can check whether we actually own what we play.
Glad to hear BattleBards is in the plans to be added!
Nolan T. J. said: We don't want this thread to spiral too far out into the weeds (which tends to happen when folks are stuck speculating), so be advised that if things don't simmer just a tad we will close this topic. We are not fully prepared to give exact details yet (as we're still examining logistics-- both feasibility and timeframe), but if everything works out I think we have a suite of solutions coming into place that will take care of the following concerns: A large enough library to cover a breadth of sound genres A method for creators to share their audio work with the greater Roll20 community Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games None of this is yet rock-solid, but it looks very good. Our hope is that in the end the greatest loss here is simply SoundCloud-specific work within our interface.&nbsp; Please hang tight and give us a few more business days to start integrating these options. Thanks. Thanks Nolan (& Roll20 Team)!
Nolan T. J. said: We don't want this thread to spiral too far out into the weeds (which tends to happen when folks are stuck speculating), so be advised that if things don't simmer just a tad we will close this topic. We are not fully prepared to give exact details yet (as we're still examining logistics-- both feasibility and timeframe), but if everything works out I think we have a suite of solutions coming into place that will take care of the following concerns: A large enough library to cover a breadth of sound genres A method for creators to share their audio work with the greater Roll20 community Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games None of this is yet rock-solid, but it looks very good. Our hope is that in the end the greatest loss here is simply SoundCloud-specific work within our interface.&nbsp; Please hang tight and give us a few more business days to start integrating these options. Thanks. Sounds good, Nolan. Good luck, guys.
This is a really sad news. I think the option for music background are rather ok. What are really missing are soundeffects. Giving the opportunity to somehow play your own would be great!
I just sat down to prepare for tonights adventure and realized that I miss SFX far too much. This whole situation makes me a sad puppy.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: I just sat down to prepare for tonights adventure and realized that I miss SFX far too much. This whole situation makes me a sad puppy. Played my first game since the loss of Soundcloud last night and while it was diminished without the script called sound effects and especially our critical hit song it was still a highly immersive game that everyone enjoyed, possibly more so since the DM (ie me) did his best to supply all the missing sound effects manually using only his less than impressive voice acting skills... good times... but i'll be very happy once sound effects return to the jukebox in some fashion ;)
Great to hear you've got a bunch of things in the works, thanks nolan/@roll20 team.
Like everyone else, I am, without exaggerating, absolutely devastated by the loss of Soundcloud access. It's been mentioned before, but a library of countless songs is really not half as enticing as the ability to play specific, setting-related tracks - for example, my campaign, which is run in the Elder Scrolls universe, will be that much less impressive with the lack of the official video game soundtracks. While this is not a catastrophe per se, I, as many other GM's, find that music is imperative in establishing a flawless and immersive gaming atmosphere. I would be feeling so much more comfortable if we would have a guarantee that we would be able to use custom music and not just royalty-free generic fantasy tracks. Despite all I've said, I am still very grateful for the privilege of using the Roll20 platform - but something that made it so unique has suddenly disappeared, and, at the risk of sounding overly dramatic, Roll20 does not feel like it used to.

Edited 1475264602
Kaero
Plus
I was really disappointed.&nbsp; Ended up deleting everything I had on soundcloud.&nbsp; I made sure to tag all my stuff and had over 100,000 plays on that service, which I suspect many of whom were users of this site since I tagged things to likely be found by r20 music searches. Honestly, no reason to use the soundcloud site now. I always put a lot of effort in to the music of my games: I've spend upwards of 4 hours pre-game preparing the correct musics to use.&nbsp; This is a real pitty.
I don't understand why more people aren't suggesting Syrinscape? It's one of the best programs out there right now for gamers, and forum petitions to get it added have been around for years now. Even Syrinscape said they were happy to work with Roll20 if asked.&nbsp;
I have to agree with GM here, Syrinscape is amazing for sound effects, and something I would love to see integrated into R20
The Jukebox was actually what swayed me to Roll20 from Fantasy Grounds years ago. I know the Devs aren't sitting idly by but I would like to add in my voice for a solution that keeps in place our ability to use our tracks and not&nbsp;royalty-free material which I never use.&nbsp;
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Nolan T. J. said: We don't want this thread to spiral too far out into the weeds (which tends to happen when folks are stuck speculating), so be advised that if things don't simmer just a tad we will close this topic. We are not fully prepared to give exact details yet (as we're still examining logistics-- both feasibility and timeframe), but if everything works out I think we have a suite of solutions coming into place that will take care of the following concerns: A large enough library to cover a breadth of sound genres A method for creators to share their audio work with the greater Roll20 community Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games None of this is yet rock-solid, but it looks very good. Our hope is that in the end the greatest loss here is simply SoundCloud-specific work within our interface.&nbsp; Please hang tight and give us a few more business days to start integrating these options. Thanks. You guys have really been on this quickly, and I greatly appreciate it. Its times like this that I don't regret giving you guys my pro money.
Nolan T. J. said: Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games This would be ideal.
Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games To echo others and just to be clear given other posts I've made in this thread, this is my #1 desire for whatever comes to replace soundcloud, since the 1000+ free tracks already available (and the variety of ambient and music tracks for sale on drive thru rpg extremely cheap) make the availability of pre made collections in far r20 less important. (though seeing&nbsp;Syrinscape in addition to some kind of private library use would be the ideal dream solution I would happily pay additional $5 or more a month on top of pro level prices to enjoy)
Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games Yes please
Being able to choose my own music to play during a game session is a huge HUGE part of why I use this website...I even started paying for a Pro account just to support the website because I got so much enjoyment and mileage out of changing music to fit the mood of what was happening and having so much music to choose from. If there is not a suitable replacement for the sound cloud feature soon I just don't think I will use this account or website anymore. Or at least something that allows me to stream or upload my own audio files for the game. Not to mention the hours and hours of work i'v lost from setting up playlists and finding just the right songs and sounds...but that can't be helped. -A concerned gamer
Caught me out in game last night spent time trying to work out why it wasn't working :( I realise this has caught the roll20 team offguard but if there could be a replacement in the future that would be great. This is a big reason why I support the site
So I'm "bit" upset by this because this reduced jukebox playlists that came with modules I purchased unusable :'D So when the new service provider is found, will that fix that problem?

Edited 1475358670
Music helps set the mood and when done right music can propel a scene into the memories of your players. &nbsp;There are several songs that my players have a gut reaction to nowadays because of the scenes they were used in. &nbsp; Yes Soundcloud gave us some great abilities to integrate sounds and music into our worlds. &nbsp;But when I look at the issue at hand I have to judge how it was handled and how it is being handled. Kudos to roll20 for getting at least a small band-aid in place with 'Incompetech' but I don't know about others experience with this yet but it is taking me a long time to find decent tracks for my games (Would love if someone who has done some legwork on these to post a topic breaking the tracks into categories: like I found these tracks sound good for battle music.) but lacking sound effects hurts a little. &nbsp;A dragon's roar, a scream etc... really can add a lot. Now for my criticism: &nbsp;Roll20 themselves have stated several times that they knew that it was only a matter of time before this was going to happen. &nbsp;That bothers me a little because in my world that means that a backup plan should have been in the works for some time too. If they deliver on the items above I will be thrilled and in the end we will have a better product. I will stand with roll20 for now and give them the benefit of the doubt, my games (I run 3 a week) will continue, all I ask is continue to give us updates heck enlist some of us as test subjects. &nbsp;You have a communicability of proud geeks and nerds here use us. (My Battle music so far from the new system Curse of the Scarab, Clash Defiant, Corruption, Clenched Teeth, and Stoneworld Battle) Thanks ~The Teller of the Tale
Silvyre
Forum Champion
John said: (Would love if someone who has done some legwork on these to post a topic breaking the tracks into categories: like I found these tracks sound good for battle music.) We're in luck— Loren S. was generous enough to do just this !
John said: &nbsp;all I ask is continue to give us updates heck enlist some of us as test subjects. &nbsp; All of us PRO users already have access to the development builds, it wouldn't be too hard to let us field test the audio solutions they come up with either I'd imagine.
Has anyone tried using "synaptop", it looks like you can upload your own music, make playlist and listen to them in real time with friends. At the moment I'm using my soundcard mixer to stream my Itunes music through skype but the sound is subpar in comparison to what I was used too from soundcloud.
I assume Syrinscape is being looked at.
Finderski said: I agree that people need to voice their opinions, but people also need to realize that many (I'm guessing,&nbsp;here, because I only see relatively few users posting) of us are unconcerned with the Jukebox. Honestly, does the sound contribute to a good game? Maybe. Is it earth-shattering to not have it? I guess for streamers maybe? Maybe I'm just old because the jukebox never even enticed me to look at it. I'm impressed that they got a solution (or at least one solution) developed as quickly as they did. But honestly, I'd rather see them working on getting font support for character sheets and handouts&nbsp;because that's what I use the most, and that could add a lot to the game—more than music does for me. Why did I post this? Only to bring to light that if it is the level of our "outrage" that implies importance, that there are many people who aren't posting on this issue. Roll20 definitely needs to know what the community wants, but we need to remember that a topic about one aspect of the system will only garner complaints about that aspect from people who use that feature&nbsp;and that user-base may be relatively small compared to the entire community—so, a bunch of complaints in one, very specific topic, does not equate to importance. I'd be very interested to see if there are any stats on how many games use the Jukebox. Perhaps it's a bigger deal than I realize. Adding in my voice to the " relatively few " posters devastated by this... &nbsp; I've personally spent countless hours picking out the right tracks and adding them to my game to make scenes more memorable and create that atmosphere you just can't replicate in silence. Some of my characters actually have songs associated with them so that my players draw a connection between them and it allows for the potential for those intense moments where you hear their song before they show up in game.&nbsp; I know other storytellers that have spent far more time than I did on incorporating tracks into their scenes that are even more frustrated by this than I am. Its a level of effort not every Storyteller / GM puts in, but it really pays off huge dividends when they do. Hoping they do find a way to add back in personal audio / cloud options again. Work-arounds exist, but they're far from ideal.
If it's a matter of people posting in this thread to show how important the soundcloud integration was to the community, let me just say that this is what got me on roll20 in the first place a few years ago.
Gold
Forum Champion
Vucar said: Some of my characters actually have songs associated with them so that my players draw a connection between them and it allows for the potential for those intense moments where you hear their song before they show up in game.&nbsp; Yes. Love that. In my game too. 2 of my players had even recorded their own songs for our game (using their own voice and music instrument at home) and uploaded them on their own Soundcloud accounts, which I played in the Roll20 Jukebox when their PC did certain actions. I'm hopeful that the upcoming new sound features will somehow accommodate personally-recorded audio files or streams, as well as more sound effects, and hopefully other-people's personally recorded offerings too.
In regards to the Tabletop Audio stuff already available, it appears that the track "Solemn Vow" does not work/play. Just an observation I made while trying to setup a new music library for our game!
Havoc
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Vucar said: Finderski said: I agree that people need to voice their opinions, but people also need to realize that many (I'm guessing,&nbsp;here, because I only see relatively few users posting) of us are unconcerned with the Jukebox. Honestly, does the sound contribute to a good game? Maybe. Is it earth-shattering to not have it? I guess for streamers maybe? Maybe I'm just old because the jukebox never even enticed me to look at it. I'm impressed that they got a solution (or at least one solution) developed as quickly as they did. But honestly, I'd rather see them working on getting font support for character sheets and handouts&nbsp;because that's what I use the most, and that could add a lot to the game—more than music does for me. Why did I post this? Only to bring to light that if it is the level of our "outrage" that implies importance, that there are many people who aren't posting on this issue. Roll20 definitely needs to know what the community wants, but we need to remember that a topic about one aspect of the system will only garner complaints about that aspect from people who use that feature&nbsp;and that user-base may be relatively small compared to the entire community—so, a bunch of complaints in one, very specific topic, does not equate to importance. I'd be very interested to see if there are any stats on how many games use the Jukebox. Perhaps it's a bigger deal than I realize. Adding in my voice to the " relatively few " posters devastated by this... &nbsp; I've personally spent countless hours picking out the right tracks and adding them to my game to make scenes more memorable and create that atmosphere you just can't replicate in silence. Some of my characters actually have songs associated with them so that my players draw a connection between them and it allows for the potential for those intense moments where you hear their song before they show up in game.&nbsp; I know other storytellers that have spent far more time than I did on incorporating tracks into their scenes that are even more frustrated by this than I am. Its a level of effort not every Storyteller / GM puts in, but it really pays off huge dividends when they do. Hoping they do find a way to add back in personal audio / cloud options again. Work-arounds exist, but they're far from ideal. I agree with Vucar. I used Soundcloud many times to enhance my sessions. Not having it feels like a missing leg.
Brother Sharp said: I am very grateful that you managed to get incompetech implemented this fast. However I am afraid that third party tracks are of no use to me, while incompetech covers a wide range of genres it does not fulfill what I am looking at, and nor will any third party that Roll20 chooses without asking the community will do. Please drop any resources you are currently using to implement third party and focus them on a cloud solution, or even local cached music control. You are not buying me back with random third parties. Ditto. I want ambience -- dripping caverns, birdsong, crackling fires, etc. -- not music. Ambience makes players feel like they're immersed in the wilderness. Music makes them feel like they're traveling with an FM radio. Do not want.
Please use this opportunity to increase the number of support methods available. I would REALLY like to make a 1-time payment just to increase my account's storage limit.

Edited 1475539524
I'm compelled to throw out one more possible solution to the sound issue, which is Freesound.org and their&nbsp; API . Most of my SoundCloud tracks were sounds taken from Freesound and moved over to SoundCloud anyway. It's an excellent community for sound effects and handles both playing existing sounds and uploading your own sounds. Plus, its opened source nature seems inline with Roll20's goals.
Nolan T. J. said: Some more private format of utilizing personal audio libraries within games I hope this option is avaliable to everyone and not behind subscription only, I would understand however if there are certain limits for f2p members if that's the model you guys are looking into.
Well now that the US has lost control of the Internet, I expect more of this will be happening in the future when literally any other country can come and make a copyright claim that locks up the asset until its settled. . . . Why do things always change towards censorship and limitations? :-( &lt;3 Roll20. Thanks creators. Keep up the good work!