Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Easy Experience multiple characters?

I'm working on trying to get this script set up for my campaign and I've got two questions: 1. How does the script know to whom it should add experience?  I tried just testing it, (added 450 xp from one monster, then ran !xp session), and this came up: I did a quick check of a few character sheets, and it didn't seem to actually add anything, so not sure what happened there. 2. Most players have multiple characters - does this script handle that, and if so, how?  I can see that there is an option to add experience to individuals, but it seems cumbersome to have to do that every time.  Is there another way? Thanks in advance!

Edited 1475522771
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Gozer, I'm happy to help. First of all there is a new update coming out to fix an extremely rare error that occurs, won't have any adjustments to the scripts function, but thought I'd throw it out there first. Now, on to your actual questions, which actually have the same answer. You can pull up the script's help menu, which details the script's function via !xp help or just !xp . The relevant part for your question is the PC vs. NPC section at the top. The script sees if someone is designated as the player for a character via the player-name attribute. It then splits the total xp for that session and applies it equally to each PC (rounded down to the nearest integer). The use I imagined for the syntax for applying xp to a specific character was for character specific bonuses that might crop up. You can set defined PCs as active or MIA (via !xp config) so that you can also handle missing players/characters for a given session without having to use the specific character syntax. Example !xp config output from my game: Hope that helps, Scott EDIT: Pulling this up to help you with it has made me notice that there is a formatting error in the help menu. The challenge syntax should have a space between each subsequent character id call. Also, 5e xp progression is also supported by the script itself. I'll get these typos sorted out in the next next release of the script.
Well, I see we're running different versions, so that could be the problem.  When I update the players (via !xp config), it doesn't show any players. I installed this via the one-click install method.

Edited 1475526321
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
hrmm, apparently I never updated the script's version variable to 1.03 for that update. You are (or should be) running 1.03 even though the menus say 1.01. This will be corrected to 1.04 when the new version gets merged to the repository. Have you put something into the player-name attribute (may have to manually make this attribute if your sheet doesn't do it for you)? The script won't display any characters there if it doesn't find any. If you have done that, click the update players button on the config menu to have the script recheck for PCs.
Hm...it looks like there is not an attribute for player name on the sheet.  So, what is the syntax for that?  player-name, or player_name, or something else?  Does this mean I need to create that attribute for each character in the campaign?  EDIT:  Ok, I tested both, and it looks like I need to create an attribute labeled player-name for each character.  Boy, it would be nice if the sheet would provide that.  The D&D5e shaped sheet seems to differentiate between PC and NPC with an attribute called "is_npc" with a 1 in it or a 0 if it's a pc.  Any possibility of working that into the script?
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The syntax is player-name  as shown in the help. You will need to create it for all characters that you want to be able to add xp to via the script. You don't need to add it for any character that you are not tracking XP for (NPC's/pets/followers, or the script created experiencethresholds character). The script's logic sees a missing player-name attribute the same as an empty player-name attribute.
Got it.  Thanks for the help!
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Happy rolling, hope it's smooth sailing from here on for you.

Edited 1475528477
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Gozer the Gozerian said: EDIT:  Ok, I tested both, and it looks like I need to create an attribute labeled player-name for each character.  Boy, it would be nice if the sheet would provide that.  The D&D5e shaped sheet seems to differentiate between PC and NPC with an attribute called "is_npc" with a 1 in it or a 0 if it's a pc.  Any possibility of working that into the script? And, possibly yes, I might work it in as 5e is used so much (probably similarly to how I have the customization for the name of the experience attribute), but I'll have to think about it. The big problem is that there are 3 5e sheets, and I believe there are different methods for PC vs NPC for each sheet. Honestly, I've been thinking of redoing the PC vs. NPC detection anyways since I started using the state for things. If I ever get around to the rewrite, it'll switch to just going based on control by a player and settings in the config menu. Not sure when I'll do that rewrite, but that's the next iteration that is planned.