Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Curious about dice

I've seen a lot of conversation flying around about macros and the /roll mechanics and It's got me wondering. How many people use the built in dice roller? Do any of you just use straight /roll commands and do your own math regarding any explosions or special mechanics? My group all use real physical dice and just report our rolls to each other, and I'm curious how many others of you out there are like we are. For any of you that don't use physical dice, what's your reason? Is it to curb cheating? just easier? saves on math? For me, there's just something to that visceral feeling of watching the dice bounce across the table while holding your breath. The act of picking out your "special" D20 when you REALLY need a high roll, that's just lost when you computerize it. No matter how great the roll software might be.
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Interestingly, this has come up a good bit in the past in my group offline. Here with Roll20, we'll probably be using the /roll commands, but that is more so we can keep track of them in the chat logs. We'll be doing most of the added numerics by self-report, more than likely. Offline, for years, everyone would get really paranoid about another player if they got a long streak of critical rolls, and people would go so far as to vet the rolls of anyone sitting next to them. Or to ask someone to do it. In my games that doesn't happen as much... We play for the story, and frankly, I occasionally do very unpleasant things to the characters that have no mechanics at all, so if they showboat a bit I don't care. For the most part, I just trust them. But in younger groups... especially with hardcore videogaming types, people with serious eye-on-the-prize mentality or constant anxiety over character death, I'd keep my eyes on the dice. I suspect it is a trust issue in most groups... the system is there to handle the conflicts, so that everyone gets a fair shake. Often, circumventing that purpose seems like straight-up cheating. Else, it may as well be a story game (not that there is anything wrong with that). Online can be different sometimes (not a concern here though). I used to do development on text-based Vampire: The Masquerade game environments, and I got my hands into someone else's code once (by invitation) and discovered his dice rolling mechanism favored any character with one of a list of names. All of them were his characters, some of which he used for ST'ing NPCs. Every time a die rolled a 1 after an initial instance, it randomly replaced the new ones with 2 through 5. He could fail, but he made it almost impossible for him to botch. Trust issues. *shrug*
Using the built in dice roller means one less pile of stuff to have lying on my desk in front of me while I play or GM. I've always used the built-in dice roller in my MapTool games, since rolling dice there can be relatively easily reduced to clicking a button labeled "Melee Attack" or "Vicious Strike" or what have you); once I had that capability I never had the inclination to pick up dice again. It was faster, easier, and it reported the results to all parties rapidly. I don't have any special fondness for dice rolling with my hands, and since I don't play with people I don't trust, there isn't a cheating issue. That said, our game last night would have been probably 50% faster if we'd just used real dice and reported rolls. Using the typed roll commands and/or typed macros was pretty slow. ...on the other hand, we don't do much typed chat when we have a voice connection, so if we used real dice, we'd have no reason to use the chat window at all.
The groups that I am currently in all play online, and we thankfully have enough trust to just report rolls. As such, each player is free to use physical or virtual dice as they see fit. I end up switching back and forth; physical dice can be fun, but virtual dice can be more convenient, especially if I end up playing in a place without a nice flat surface to roll on. I have been in groups in the past that would fit the 'eye-on-the-prize mentality' that Deightine mentioned, but those were all live games, so virtual dice rolling wasn't an issue.