Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[DM] [LFP] [Call of Cthulhu] Blackout

Edited 1477886004
Summary: Welcome to Cthulhu in the modern world. The campaign will have both day and night adventures. Your job and/or interest is to solve paranormal mysteries whether it is killing the creature or simply boarding up all entry points and hoping people heed the yellow tape. Your second job is to try your best to keep the deviants of society from ruining your city. Your third and final job is to stay alive, stay sane anyone can break from all this pressure. At least try not to be the first one to. Setting: Contrary to the year and world war this campaign will have very little to no future tech. The modern era was chosen to add a whole new element of horror. I will not be throwing flying cars, laser weapons, or even cyborgs at you. For the most part the tech you find in the campaign you can find in the real world and if they happen to be electronic then they will have no use whatsoever in the campaign.This is the dark ages, survival is just as important now as it was a five hundred years ago About Me: Fairly new DM but I put in an obsessive amount of effort into my campaigns and rpgs as a whole. I love when people bring ideas for me to incorporate into my campaigns. So if you see something I could add onto then let me know, I live for such things. What to Expect: You will not only be solving paranormal mysteries but also dealing with a city slowly spiraling out of control as well as your own internal demons. This is not a story of how you saved the city but one of how you heroically tried your best to stall the inevitable. System: Call of Cthulhu 7e. My strength is improvising and creativity so do not expect me to follow a set of guidelines all the time. My weakness is memorization, I have the ability to forget anything and everything so just bare with me as I try to recall. Applications: (All applicants welcomed, PM me your applications) Your world as you know it has come to an end and things are moving so fast, so let’s take a step back and slow things down. Tell me about the character you thought up. Answer these questions: If you can't commit to a long term campaign then there is no point in applying... Player Questions: How many games are you currently playing in or DMing? When did you start playing RPGs? Which RPG(s) have you played? Which one is your favorite and why? Name something you consider scary, and list your time/day preference : (i.e. spiders, darkness, singing children, etc.) Character Questions: Image? (For your character sheet and token, can PM me it later) Name? Age? Gender? Significant Modifications? (Tattoos, synthetic limbs, piercings, etc.) Weaknesses? (Illnesses, allergies, mental disorders, addictions, etc.) Personal Description? (Quick and short: rugged, frail, hairy, etc.) Occupation?   Ideology/Belief? Significant People? Any additional info you wish to add? (Backstory perhaps, optional) The Story Welcome to Ascavia, a fantasy country located somewhere between France and Germany. You may relate to real countries, but the campaign will stray way from mentioning topics in the real world. I do a much better job at making stuff up than learning and memorizing countries, governmental ranks, politics, judicial systems, etc. Ascavia is personally at war with Neiva, another fictional country, on its northern border but the entire world is at war. With countries at each other's throats Neiva took this time to strike at Ascavian lands it coveted. The war was cut short when what seem to be an emp attack on Ascavian lands, plummeting its people in complete darkness and silence. Those in Vixen City are left clueless with no means of getting in contact with the outside world, but they are not alone. The few that were able to make the trip to the nearby cities Edgewood and/or Hellen Port confirmed that they were hit by the power outage as well. With the loss of modern technology the city's inhabitants are left to fight for their life in more ways than one. The story takes place six months after the blackout, it is nearing winter and there does not seem to be any rescue missions. The city is littered with dead cars, filth, and destruction from rioting. You are either one of three roles: Investigator: You are employed by Hollow Inc. and work at the station in search of paranormal activities, which have increased of late. Supporter: You have some connection with Hollow Inc. either the corporation or its station stationed in Vixen City. Civilian: You are simply a citizen of Vixen City but will or have gone through some ordeal to get you involved with Hollow Inc. and have some degree of interest. The world as you know it is essentially left in ruins, there are some major backlash for this blackout. Certain occupations will be loss, they will still be chosen for skill allocation but essentially you will have to choose a new occupation that your character have taken up during the blackout, optional. Serious credit rating and money shortage, money is still of use but only for physical goods and services. Money is hard to keep around so bartering is now common, attainable asset is king now. Certain skills will become very situational, the more situational it becomes the more I make up for it in importance when it does come up. Firearms are precious but primitive weapons are more reliable, even more so now. The campaign is centered on Vixen City but it is a sandbox campaign with a map of the local area, you may go where you please and do as you please. I am simply here to orchestrate the world around you, its up to you to dictate how you live... or die Click to Read More

Edited 1477500928
Factions At the start of every day I will reveal a new faction of the campaign. These are simply groups of people given a broad label to help define their influence and effect on the world. Each faction will add their own horror element and an entirely new branch of plot lines and mysteries. You may attempt to juggle all the issues that arise from these factions or simply ignore a faction or two and focus on the ones you like and/or support. It is your choice, your city. Meet the People Description: The most diverse faction in all regards that defines a person. This faction varies in goals, beliefs, occupation, affiliations, organizations, etc. That being said you cannot treat individuals in this group the same, making it the hardest faction to control. Location(s): Within Vixen City, city outskirts, within the woodland surrounding the city, everywhere. Influence: The people of Vixen City have very little influence on each other let alone on other factions. Threat Level: Small, due to their small influence it takes this faction a while to gather enough power to threaten other factions or the investigators. Their small influence also make them the easiest faction to deal with if they were to be influenced by the paranormal. Relation: Good, due to Hollow Inc. tending to their paranormal problems that the law enforcement or military refuse to look into places the investigators int he good graces of the people. The issue is that due to their diversity, there is always some group you will piss off.
Update! Initial post have been edited to add a time and day preference (trying not to exclude anyone) as well as a setting section that gives a better visual of the campaign setting. This is not a sci-fi campaign, there will be no future tech this is meant to be dark so there shall be darkness. No laser weapons, no spaceships, no robots.

Edited 1477601866
Meet the Monster Description: People simply label them as monsters, day terrors, hallucinations, imaginations, illusions it matters not what you call them they are there and waiting to strip you of your soul and sanity. There is little information gathered on these monsters and it seems like they are all not the same. The official advise is to simply clear your head and hope you're imagining things, if that fails then run. Location(s):  Down dark alleys, out in the Witchwoods, in your homes, in your dreams there is no safety once they mark you as their prey and oh how good prey we make. Influence: Anyone and everyone, there is some evidence that the weak minded are more susceptible to their influence. Threat Level: Extreme, it is advised to stay clear, avoid places with sightings of paranormal activity and contact Hollow Inc. immediately. Relation: Hostile, there does not seem to be any sign of friendliness in these creatures or a means of reliable communication.
Meet the Army Description: Valuing tradition, protocol, bravery, loyalty, and their hierarchy. These individuals are the deadliest man has to offer. Individually they are a diverse faction but their uniqueness is hidden under the cold shell the system and years of experience in the field forced them into. To know the soldier you must first tear down the machine the world turned them into. Location(s): Out on the front lines approximately 300 miles from Vixen City, a small force is currently stationed at Vixen City, and there are governmental buildings out in the borderlands of Vixen City that is said to have sightings of militarization but there has not been any word from them for months now. Influence: In times of war the military has authority above local law enforcement so they answer to no one except for their superiors. Luckily they have not demanded too much from the city... yet. Threat Level: High, this faction is equipped to kill at all times even without their weaponry they are highly dangerous killers. Only their superiors, rules, and morality keep them from being the deadliest faction but it only takes one mental break or loss of humanity to turn them into true monsters. Relation: Average, their friendliness can vary from highly charitable to cold and calculative omitting emotion from their words and actions. Regardless of one's relationship with an individual in the faction it is commonplace to see them place their mission and commands from their superiors above friendship.

Edited 1477762564
Meet the Church Description: To protect their faith, to instill hope, to give something for their brethren to grasp onto will lead a person to do a great many of things... we can only hope they are good. Some call them preachers, others call them raving madmen but they care not what you call them for their eyes are blind and their ears are deaf to the lost children of Vixen City. They will do and say what they deem right, the only way to stop them is by force but that is only necessary when they take things too far. Location(s): Vixen City slums and middle district. Influence: Their preaching tend to impact the less fortunate more so than the middle to upper class which explains why they stick to the slums and lower class areas. Threat Level: Low, alone they are powerless and harmless but their strength is in amassing a following. These are the people you must fear if they were to fall victim to the paranormal. To kill a snake you must cut off the head, do it cleanly else you simply breed more snakes. Relation: Poor, Hollow Inc. is geared to investigating paranormal activities as well as riding the world of them. Which on the surface aligns with the church but once you add the manner in which both factions do their job there is an issue. Hollow Inc. places importance in the body, the church values the soul. The church believe investigators destroy the soul to save the body while Hollow Inc. views the church's method as destroying the body to save the soul which they are both not okay with. Which leaves a constant tension between the two.
Hey was wondering how long each session is expected to run?
Fairystail, Ideally three to four hours. If the day and time doesn't work for you simply state which day and time is best for you. I am open to changing it as long as there is sufficient requests.
Click to Read More

Edited 1477762822
Fairystail, I forgot to add the link to the listing in the initial post, it is now located there as well as above.
Meet the Following Description: The most diverse faction in all regards that defines a person. This faction varies in goals, beliefs, occupation, affiliations, organizations, etc. That being said you cannot treat individuals in this group the same, making it the hardest faction to control. Location(s): If you spot a preacher their following is always nearby. Influence: The preachers are only effective on the less fortunate, those that are desperately seeking salvation or simply a purpose. The following is their extension, these are the people that are able to pull in the skeptics for they are their friends and/or family. To draw in the nonbelievers you must first draw in their less resistant sibling, friend, or significant other so they may do the work for you. Threat Level: Moderate, their numbers, loyalty, and determination is what makes them scary. The church is as powerful as their following, without them they are powerless. You can only hope their preacher is good willed. Relation: Varies, due to their diversity and the fact that anyone could join the following a sister, a father, a son, a friend their relationship with the investigators can be complicated but in the end you can only be in their good graces if you yourself join the following.
The Story Welcome to Ascavia, a fantasy country located somewhere between France and Germany. You may relate to real countries, but the campaign will stray way from mentioning topics in the real world. I do a much better job at making stuff up than learning and memorizing countries, governmental ranks, politics, judicial systems, etc. Ascavia is personally at war with Neiva, another fictional country, on its northern border but the entire world is at war. With countries at each other's throats Neiva took this time to strike at Ascavian lands it coveted. The war was cut short when what seem to be an emp attack on Ascavian lands, plummeting its people in complete darkness and silence. Those in Vixen City are left clueless with no means of getting in contact with the outside world, but they are not alone. The few that were able to make the trip to the nearby cities Edgewood and/or Hellen Port confirmed that they were hit by the power outage as well. With the loss of modern technology the city's inhabitants are left to fight for their life in more ways than one. The story takes place six months after the blackout, it is nearing winter and there does not seem to be any rescue missions. The city is littered with dead cars, filth, and destruction from rioting. You are either one of three roles: Investigator: You are employed by Hollow Inc. and work at the station in search of paranormal activities, which have increased of late. Supporter: You have some connection with Hollow Inc. either the corporation or its station stationed in Vixen City. Civilian: You are simply a citizen of Vixen City but will or have gone through some ordeal to get you involved with Hollow Inc. and have some degree of interest. The world as you know it is essentially left in ruins, there are some major backlash for this blackout. Certain occupations will be loss, they will still be chosen for skill allocation but essentially you will have to choose a new occupation that your character have taken up during the blackout, optional. Serious credit rating and money shortage, money is still of use but only for physical goods and services. Money is hard to keep around so bartering is now common, attainable asset is king now. Certain skills will become very situational, the more situational it becomes the more I make up for it in importance when it does come up. Firearms are precious but primitive weapons are more reliable, even more so now. The campaign is centered on Vixen City but it is a sandbox campaign with a map of the local area, you may go where you please and do as you please. I am simply here to orchestrate the world around you, its up to you to dictate how you live... or die
Meet the Outsider Description: The term outsider is a complicated one, of late people have been labeling certain individuals as outsiders. In the most basic term it is used to describe someone that was not inside the city when the blackout occurred. When you take into consideration the people that migrated to the city after being hit by the emp as well as people that up and leave the city by city only to return or people that simply do not live in the city, it can get a bit confusing. That is why the second definition is important. An outsider is a person that deviates too greatly from the inhabitants of Vixen City, these are society's rejects. They might be under paranormal influence, suffering from a mental illness, or simply disliked by a large amount of people due to their actions or words. It just happens that usually they are from the Witchwoods and beyond or tehy end up there, there seems to be something out there breaking those that venture out there. Location(s): Witchwoods and beyond. Influence: Outsiders have no influence whatsoever in Vixen City. Threat Level: Varies, an outsider can be anyone thus their threat level is hard to determine. Relation: Average, Hollow Inc. has a policy of keeping outsiders under surveillance and making sure they aren't pressed too hard in fear of them breaking and retaliating against society. On top of fear of them going psychotic they are also easy prey for the paranormal or demented individuals that are seeking a minion to do their dirty work.
Meet the Investigator Description: Investigators are paranormal experts that are always learning and experiencing new things. Hollow Inc. task their investigators to simply investigate and record paranormal activities, putting an end to it is entirely up to the investigator in charge. That being said many investigators have only witnessed paranormal activities and not actually the supposed creatures that cause them. Those that have supposedly seen or killed one are labeled as monster hunters, both as a joke and out of respect. That being said majority of an investigator's work is to investigate the sighting and at times "cleanse" the area. Cleansing refers to successful removal of the paranormal, which some monster hunters say only relocates the creature or places it dormant. After the client and/or investigators are satisfied with the investigation they are to return their records to their station. Sometimes the records find their way to the nearest military establishment, but most of the time it is sent off to Hollow Inc. headquarters. Location(s): Vixen City and major cities. Influence: Investigators are liked by the people which explains why they were the ones the people went to for help as soon as the blackout hit, second only to law enforcement. Threat Level: Moderate, investigators have graduated from the police academy and perhaps even have some military training. This allows them to at least carry and use firearms, even those at a higher caliber legally permitted to civilians. They also have some authority permitted to them by law enforcement, so the hierarchy of power goes as follows: military, government official, law enforcement, investigator, civilian. Relation: Investigators are either loved or hated. The hatred can vary from seething rage due to some investigator mishap while inspecting someone's home to people viewing them as clinically insane. As for the love part, people like having someone that will take them seriously, no matter how far fetch their story seem.
Conclusion Today marks the final update, if you've been following along you would be aware of these updates: Open to session day/time change No sci-fi material Initial post updated with a story If you are not interested after reading all this content you never will be. If you're on the fence about things throw me a Q&A. Without further delay I shall now take a nap.
Player Questions: How many games are you currently playing in or DMing? Playing in a weekly CoC campaign(Sundays 2pm EST). I plan on starting my CoC campaign soon. When did you start playing RPGs? About 1980...after reading the Hobbit and LotR trilogy. Which RPG(s) have you played? Which one is your favorite and why? D&D 1e, CoC 6e and 7e, Lord of the Rings RPG. My favorite is CoC! Name something you consider scary, and list your time/day preference : (i.e. spiders, darkness, singing children, etc.) Walking in some ruined house, with limited lighting, and knowing that 'something' lurks within the shadows waiting to do me harm) Character Questions: Image? (For your character sheet and token, can PM me it later) Name? Julius Evola Age? 23 Gender? Male Significant Modifications? (Tattoos, synthetic limbs, piercings, etc.) --- Weaknesses? (Illnesses, allergies, mental disorders, addictions, etc.) Wear glasses... Personal Description? (Quick and short: rugged, frail, hairy, etc.) Short, Mediterranean complexion and alethic build. Occupation? Survivalist. . Ideology/Belief? He believes the time of Kalki is at hand Significant People? Any additional info you wish to add? (Backstory perhaps, optional) Also, would it be possible that my oldest son play. Is 25 and been playing CoC for the last 11 years))))
Moss,  Go ahead and give your son the green light.
Player Questions: How many games are you currently playing in or DMing? None, anymore When did you start playing RPGs? (ALSO)  About 1980...DnD, before 'edition' came into the name, and when elf was a class. Which RPG(s) have you played? Which one is your favorite and why? D&D 1e, 2nd, Pathfinder and D&D 5e, Shadowrun 3rd, Vampire, CoC (we did a LARP bachelor party for such) Name something you consider scary, and list your time/day preference : (i.e. spiders, darkness, singing children, etc.) Aleppo, Children doing creepy things (juxtapositions of innocence into dark themed), Hobson's choice scenarios around morally slippery topics.  ALL of the SAW movies... self mutilation totally creeps me out.  Character Questions: Image? (For your character sheet and token, can PM me it later) Name? Nicolas Carter Age? 37 Gender? Male Significant Modifications? (Tattoos, synthetic limbs, piercings, etc.) --- None, though he may wear an eyepatch from time to time. Weaknesses? (Illnesses, allergies, mental disorders, addictions, etc.) Drinks ... a lot. Fondness for apples. Also, he is legally blind - horrible cataracts. Personal Description? (Quick and short: rugged, frail, hairy, etc.) Tall Lanky, disheveled.  Occupation? Investigator (and sometimes conman, opperating out of the back of Ray Heath's Used Books and Curios store. Ideology/Belief? Most people are horrible. His life sucks. So, therefore, should everyone else's.  He also believes that a race of beings PRECEDED the current 'humans' and that in this first reality a splintered fractured bit feel into this one... he's sure Vixen and its terroritory (spelling mistake intentional) are almost solipsistic.  He suffers from symptoms of paranoia due to his "experiences" of which he'll become somber and silent if pressured to relate. Significant People? Wife (aka Ball n' Chain and two children both girls - with whom he is s a different man.. all the bitterness of his normal demeanor disappears) Any additional info you wish to add? wink wink, nudge nudge. HEY. Zero.  Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas. etc etc. Just stopping by once I got back on to say you're the best.  :)

Edited 1482551137
Player Questions: How many games are you currently playing in or DMing? Currently in 3 games ( on Bi-weekly shadowrun, one weekly shadowrun, and a bi-weekly 7th Sea When did you start playing RPGs? When i was 8 years old Which RPG(s) have you played? Which one is your favorite and why? Currently in flux at shadowrun for favorite, D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, WH40K DH 2nd, Apocalypse World, 7th Sea, D&D 5e, Numanera, and maybe another one or two i've forgotten, and because of the constant state of conflict that permeates everything. Never played CoC Name something you consider scary, and list your time/day preference : (i.e. spiders, darkness, singing children, etc.) Afraid of heights, the unknown and a lack of understanding. Coincidentally i feel safer in the dark Character Questions: Image? (For your character sheet and token, can PM me it later) Name? Arthur Wayne-rite Age? 28 Gender? Male Significant Modifications? (Tattoos, synthetic limbs, piercings, etc.) something of ritualistic tattooed sleeve, Eyes that are arresting and change colors. Weaknesses? (Illnesses, allergies, mental disorders, addictions, etc.) Vindictive, and some would say cold and cruel. holds no qualm over violence. Personal Description? (Quick and short: rugged, frail, hairy, etc.) Tall and Lean muscled, unnervingly strong and quick for someone of his stature. Occupation? Investigator, and former Occult Military specialist Ideology/Belief? That the Darkness holds no secrets of its own and many choice to hide behind its loving veil. ( fear not the dark, but those whom would dwell inside it. ) Significant People? Has almost no one in his life due to horrific back ground things Any additional info you wish to add? (Backstory perhaps, optional) Quick question : Can the character be more than a human, but less than a man...... was thing a Dhampire of sorts. like something terrible was done to him and his blood and he became a thing in human form? Quite Quick with his knife and a short-blade Does having a handgun but few to no bullets count as something i could do. An Outsider, and would it be possible that he was always paired with an intellectual type Was tortured and given his ritualistic tattoos so pain is a bit weird for him.
Or is this not a campaign anymore?