Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Scheduling with players

I have a good group and we usually are able to get together but the work needed to get us all a common day that we can get on for 4 hours is usually a chore and while its possible Its just to big of a headache sometimes. Any suggestions to make it better or easier?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Questions of this nature are better suited to general gaming discussion sites such as reddit . If you are requesting a better on site method of organising play then I highly recommend the suggestions forum: For your suggestions, we offer the Suggestions & Ideas forum, which is based on voting from the whole community. Please review our Forum Voting wiki page for more information on how voting works, and our Suggestions & Ideas Posting Guidelines for the added expectations above and beyond our standard Code of Conduct . If you have any spare votes you could lend them to these similar ones?: Way for players to indicate if they are attending a game... Calendar to manage player availability and attendance Overview schedule Personally, I have seen instances of doodle.com being used to schedule games, I believe it has a free version for general use...
Doodle.com
Gold
Forum Champion
Azeranth, is one person the Game Master in the group? Have that person take the lead in suggesting schedule openings. Use your Game Discussion Forum with a "Scheduling" thread to propose days,times, and having the Players respond to a list of 2-3-4 choices proposed from the GM. If the GM sets the Next Game Time setting in Roll20 it will automatically convert and show the converted time for each person in their own time zone. Hope this helps!

Edited 1478296412
Azeranth said: I have a good group and we usually are able to get together but the work needed to get us all a common day that we can get on for 4 hours is usually a chore and while its possible Its just to big of a headache sometimes. Any suggestions to make it better or easier? Sometimes, a GM needs to man up and simply give a player the axe if their attendance is poor. Part of being a good group is regular availability and attendance.  It is possible to avoid attendance issues by only recruiting players who have steady, organized lifestyles. I would suggest accepting players who all either A: work a standard nine-to-five, B: are students with a low-time-demand curriculum, or C: do not work or work only part time or at least have no chance of working on game day. I would set up a game that starts at the same time on the same day every week, without exception.  Most of the time, you can find out if a person can dependably attend sessions at a predetermined time every week by interviewing beforehand all players who apply to your game. For the most part, minors and guardians of young children or high-maintenance pets make poor candidates for regular attendance. You can further limit the application of unpredictable players in your LFG by courteously requesting that such persons not even apply.  If your schedule is weird, you know who you are.  As soon as football season ends, you can surely find lots of people with extra time on their hands.  If people can make it to the TV set on time to watch a game, they can make it to their computer. Once you have established these things, any further attendance issues are usually a good indication that your players are just not satisfied with your game, and I can't help anyone with that.  Some players lose interest quickly at certain times when popular events or seasons begin such as football season, deer hunting or salmon fishing seasons, or when a certain videogame is released.  I would keep track of when popular videogame titles launch.  If a person regularly and inexplicably fails to attend during such a week, it is a good indication of videogame addiction.  Some times, you may have to exclude certain players from future sessions.  Some players would rather leave you hanging than just simply come to terms with the fact that they just don't want to play your game.
Jesus Gargamond, it's a game, not a job... You're supposed to enjoy it, not feed your family with it...
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Since your question has received some excellent answers, this thread will be closed. Any further discussion would be more-appropriately held on /r/rpg/ , as Z suggested. Good luck!