Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Tokens] Half-grid size tokens

Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
In D&D3.5, and I assume other systems, there are 'half-grid' size enemies.  Since you can fit 4 of them into a single square, is there a nice way to handle them except using alt-drag? Or do they always default move to Top-Right Corner of the grid squares?
Just alt drag by default. You could also create four images that have the creature in each corner and then use rollable tables to put them all on one token.

Edited 1479994697
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Aaron's  Marshal Tokens script might work, not sure how it handles tokens smaller than a single unit though... Hmm, with a quick test it orders them nicely into shape but obeys the 1 token per unit formation, certainly something that could be tweaked in the code I reckon...
You could also do 0.5 unit grid and just bump up the size of medium tokens to 4 squares.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Yeah so the option is: Double the image resolution to halve the grid size... Load in a Token Handling Script...
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
If you use MarshalTokens, you can change the 70 on line 23 and 24 to 35 and it would position them in a half size grid.

Edited 1480371360
Andrew said: Yeah so the option is: Double the image resolution to halve the grid size... Load in a Token Handling Script... You wouldn't be changing the dimensions of the tokens. Medium size creatures would still be 70px square, but would take up four half unit squares that are 35px each. Example below...
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
@SkyCaptain This is likely to end up in a Marketplace Module, and they like the map to be at 140px per grid.  So halving the grid sizes means doubling the map size... and hence doubling the map dimensions/quadrupling the area and or file-size. @TheAaron Good to know, I might do so with my own games but for Marketplace stuff I can't rely on Upgraded accounts.

Edited 1480392793
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah!  If you're making modules, probably HB's  SkyCaptain's half sized grid is the way to go. 

Edited 1480393395
Andrew said: @SkyCaptain This is likely to end up in a Marketplace Module, and they like the map to be at 140px per grid.  So halving the grid sizes means doubling the map size... and hence doubling the map dimensions/quadrupling the area and or file-size. The 140px grid guideline is so that when people zoom in, the map still looks good. That guideline is also based off of using a 1 unit sized grid which is 70px square. When you adjust the grid to half units (0.5), all you're doing is adding extra lines on the map. Nothing else changes. Token and maps do not resize when you change the grid size. It just provides better control on snapping to grid for drawings, tokens, and maps. You would not need to adjust the size of an map dimensions or file size.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You literally just change the Grid Size to .5 instead of 1, that's all. See:&nbsp;<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid</a>
Gold
Forum Champion
Andrew said: This is likely to end up in a Marketplace Module, and they like the map to be at 140px per grid.&nbsp; Per UNIT, not per grid square. &nbsp;If you change the Grid Size to .5 (as described by the other respondents above), you're effectively displaying 4 quarter-sized squares in what is still just 1 unit. &nbsp;As the others said, and I'm just confirming it in different words, in this situation you can keep the same map resolution of pixels.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The Aaron said: You literally just change the Grid Size to .5 instead of 1, that's all. See:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Page_Settings#Grid</a> Yeah spotted that later. Hadn't really tinkered with the 'grid size' and had assumed it was an integer positive scale.