Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

More than cards in player's hand

tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
It would like to be able to have different things in player's hands, not only cards. I think about tokens for exemple. For me, a player hand is all what he owns secretly. It will be very useful, specially to use roll20 to play boardgames with secret items (Victory points, trading items, etc).
You can use "card decks" to create any kind of token you need, and there are mechanics in place for trading etc. Read the tutorials and watch the videos. It is pretty functional the way it is set up now. The system is called "card" decks, but you can use it to create other kinds of objects.
I have been setting up some board games. It is time consuming to scan in all the assets, but the basic functionality for playing the majority of board games is there.

Edited 1383057564
tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes you can choose any picture file for your cards, so have a card which "looks like" a token, but it doesn't have the tokens properties, only the cards properties, and cards & decks constraints too. Or did i miss something ?

Edited 1383334719
I love the fact that it stores players' hands between sessions, but as the GM, I'd like to be able to see the hands even when the players aren't in the campaign. Not just for prep, but also so that I can take over for a player that misses a session due to RL.
I suppose I need a clarification of some wording... What do you mean by "Token?" I ask, because we have tokens that represent players on the board and then we have tokens that represent things like Ammo, Bennies, etc. What makes me wonder is: "...it doesn't have the tokens properties..." I guess I'm at a loss what you mean? I created a deck of bennies that look like poker chips for my players (we play Savage Worlds) and it works perfectly. So, if something is in a player's hand, what other properties are you talking about? Just want to make sure I understand what's being requested.
Gid
Roll20 Team
When you place a card on the tabletop you can right click on it to bring up its options menu. If you deselect "Is Drawing" the card will become a token with all the standard propeties of a token.

Edited 1383584453
tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
Kristin C. said: When you place a card on the tabletop you can right click on it to bring up its options menu. If you deselect "Is Drawing" the card will become a token with all the standard propeties of a token. Great ! i didn't see it. It's really better. So The only thing i still don't like is the deck properties, specially the fact that there is one back icon above player avatar for each deck from which you have at least one item in hand ... It's mainly why i would like to put tokens out of decks in hand .

Edited 1383603945
Gid
Roll20 Team
Are you saying you want to be able to see the front of the card in the players' hands? You can do that too. Check off "Front of Card" under Players See: when you're editing the deck.
tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
Kristin C. said: Are you saying you want to be able to see the front of the card in the players' hands? You can do that too. Check off "Front of Card" under Players See: when you're editing the deck. Not at all. I say i would like not to see any back card icon above player avatar for each deck i have a card from. Say i have in my hand : -coins token from a coins deck -weapons token from a weapon deck -tools token from a tools deck -spells parchment from a parchment deck => it will display coins deck back + weapons deck back + tools deck back + spells deck back above my avatar ! I don't want any ...
Gid
Roll20 Team
Ah. Yeah. Presently, Roll20 doesn't have a feature to consolidate images of different decks into a single hand image. It used to, but this changed when the card deck feature got refined.
I may just be doing something wrong in my set up, and do not mean to hijack a thread but this seems a fitting place for such a topic, I am in the middle of trying to take a game straight from my notebook as a concept into a game using roll20. I discovered last night that when one player would play a card faceup, it was then able to be manipulated by all players instantly. Would it be possible to make it so that Player A plays the card and thus gets control of it? Or is there just something I'm missing to it?
Gauss
Forum Champion
In order to give control of a card on the board to a single player you would have to remove "Is Drawing" and then set the card to be controlled by the player as a token. Unfortunately, this will only last while the card is on the board. The moment it is pulled off of the board (into the player's hand or the deck) it will lose all of that. - Gauss
The game I am designing, each player has 3 decks each that is solely their own. So purpose I would word it better to say the option to give players direct control of a deck(though not the ability to edit it). I could just be rambling at this point, had intended to do a full suggestion thread of my own prior to seeing this topic and likely will to avoid invading their idea :o
Gauss
Forum Champion
No, you cannot assign a deck to specific players. However, your players could just leave the other guy's decks alone. :) Assuming your game has 4 players that would be 12 decks shown. What you can do is make sure you group Player 1's Decks together, then Player 2's decks together etc... You don't need to group them in the Deck tab, just when you "Show" the decks. A horizontal slider will appear next to the decks when you hover over them. That way the players can move the slider to their 'group'. If you need further help let me know. - Gauss