Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Volo's Guide to Monsters Official Bug Thread

Is there a way to share the new character races with my players so the can see and read them while in my game?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Greg C. said: Is there a way to share the new character races with my players so the can see and read them while in my game? You can drag the entry onto the VTT to create it as a handout for your players to use.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Franky H. said: Franky H. said: As a follow up, the issue of my token bars not populating correctly is ONLY happening in campaigns created using the SKT module. Any headway made on this? I'm seeing the same issue as well on my end. I've wrote up a ticket to look into this. It may have something to do with the sheer size of the module. Storm King's Thunder is very hefty.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Mark R. said: Sea Spawn Tentacle action is malformed and errors out. Looking over the Volo's content, I noticed that in some cases, when an Action involved grapple , the formatting of the escape DC would cause it to be placed in the secondary damage column of an attack roll - which would cause the roll to error out. I went through every Volo's creature and scrubbed the formatting to hopefully correct any remainders of this issue.
I received v o l o as a gift, but I can't find tokens and maps. Where are they?
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Albert R. said: I received v o l o as a gift, but I can't find tokens and maps. Where are they? The tokens appear as entries in the Compendium, and the maps are accessed by creating a new campaign and selecting the Volo's module on the right.
If I am a DM in a campaign but not the GM will other DM's have access to Volo's when they create campaigns or just me? And everyone keeps mentioning the compendium. If I buy this will I receive a Page by Page copy? Like a PDF or something.  

Edited 1481656835
Daniel S. said: If I am a DM in a campaign but not the GM will other DM's have access to Volo's when they create campaigns or just me? And everyone keeps mentioning the compendium. If I buy this will I receive a Page by Page copy? Like a PDF or something.   Hi Daniel -- If you purchase Volo's Guide on Roll20, you will then have the option to access Volo's Guide content within any game that you create on Roll20. You could, for example, create a game with access to Volo's Guide, then promote someone else to be the GM to that game. You are not required to GM the actual adventure, to continue to have access. The Compendium portion of the module refers to the Volo's Guide expansion to the  main 5th Edition Compendium . All written content from the original book version of Volo's Guide to Monsters is accessible via this Compendium expansion. Once you've purchased the Roll20 edition of Volo's Guide, you can access the Compendium entries, either on the web Compendium or via the Compendium tab within the Roll20 tabletop. There is no PDF or printout include in the Roll20 edition.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
The Gauth is missing its paralyzing beam when you drag and drop it.
Don't know if this has been covered but:  in game, search 'volo' click monsters by cr rating, 'path has been deleted' or some such wording.  you can still access monster by cr rating by opening up volos guide homepage and clicking monster by cr rating.  its just the shortcut straight from the search doesn't work. 
Hi! Got Volo's as a gift from a player, wonderful stuff.  I was looking at some creatures and it appears the Xvart and Xvart Speaker are identical.  I do not own a physical copy to see what the differences should be, but the tokens and stats are the same; at least in my link.  Hope this helps!

Edited 1483100032
Jerk Ken said: Hi! Got Volo's as a gift from a player, wonderful stuff.  I was looking at some creatures and it appears the Xvart and Xvart Speaker are identical.  I do not own a physical copy to see what the differences should be, but the tokens and stats are the same; at least in my link.  Hope this helps! Both the extra int and extra langauge seem to be filled out in my sheet. 
I'm unable to purchase Volo's. &nbsp;I purchased it when it first came out and returned it due to the technical glitches. &nbsp;It sounds like they've been ironed out so I would like to purchase it again, but I can't. &nbsp;I'm unable to select the Purchase for Myself option. &nbsp;I tried purchaseing via an email to myself but it responded by saying that I already had Volo (I checked - I don't). I sent an email to <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> yesterday but haven't heard anything - I assume the holidays and all - but figured I would post here too just in case the email was eaten by the internet.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Franky H. said: The Gauth is missing its paralyzing beam when you drag and drop it. Paralyzing Beam is not listed under the Gauth entry.&nbsp;Paralyzing Ray is and it should be listed in sequential order of the different ray options under the&nbsp;Eye Rays Action. Mend said: Jerk Ken said: Hi! Got Volo's as a gift from a player, wonderful stuff. &nbsp;I was looking at some creatures and it appears the Xvart and Xvart Speaker are identical. &nbsp;I do not own a physical copy to see what the differences should be, but the tokens and stats are the same; at least in my link. &nbsp;Hope this helps! Both the extra int and extra langauge seem to be filled out in my sheet.&nbsp; The regular Xvart has a snippet of the provided screenshot's content and links to the Xvart Speaker entry. Looking through the Xvart Speaker entry, I noticed that this snippet was missing. It's now there after "Xvart Warlocks". Thank you for noticing that!
Gid
Roll20 Team
Khrain said: I'm unable to purchase Volo's. &nbsp;I purchased it when it first came out and returned it due to the technical glitches. &nbsp;It sounds like they've been ironed out so I would like to purchase it again, but I can't. &nbsp;I'm unable to select the Purchase for Myself option. &nbsp;I tried purchaseing via an email to myself but it responded by saying that I already had Volo (I checked - I don't). I sent an email to <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> yesterday but haven't heard anything - I assume the holidays and all - but figured I would post here too just in case the email was eaten by the internet. We are still running catch-up from the holidays, yeah. We'll be on the look out for your email and we'll get this fixed up.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Wolverine said: Don't know if this has been covered but:&nbsp; in game, search 'volo' click monsters by cr rating, 'path has been deleted' or some such wording.&nbsp; you can still access monster by cr rating by opening up volos guide homepage and clicking monster by cr rating.&nbsp; its just the shortcut straight from the search doesn't work.&nbsp; I'm seeing that too. I'll put together a ticket for that and we'll address it as soon as we can. Thank you for reporting that!

Edited 1485569229
When I drag from compendium onto the VTT it creates a character handout with all the proper info and art when looking at the handout but on the VTT itself I only get a little green dot for a token (see picture). Deleting the character and retrying doesn't seem to help but like I said the actual handout shows all the correct stuff (including the token) it just doesn't appear on the VTT. using the 5e shaped sheet. Update: So it seems to not be every monster- Abjurer and Alhoon for sure, but the Mindwitness worked fine. Will test more. Update 2: seems to be an incompatibility issue with 5e shaped sheet, changed to OGL and it loads fine (and a lot faster)
Didn't see a section to ask this and it kind of makes sense to put it here. With the upcoming Monster Manual release, after purchasing will it replace the SRD content (for monsters) or add- in other words, will we have 2 entries for nearly every monster (one from the SRD and one from the MM) because that would be annoying!
Gid
Roll20 Team
Rob said: When I drag from compendium onto the VTT it creates a character handout with all the proper info and art when looking at the handout but on the VTT itself I only get a little green dot for a token (see picture). Deleting the character and retrying doesn't seem to help but like I said the actual handout shows all the correct stuff (including the token) it just doesn't appear on the VTT. using the 5e shaped sheet. Update: So it seems to not be every monster- Abjurer and Alhoon for sure, but the Mindwitness worked fine. Will test more. Update 2: seems to be an incompatibility issue with 5e shaped sheet, changed to OGL and it loads fine (and a lot faster) Thanks for pointing this out, Rob. I'll take a look into this to try and figure out what's wrong.&nbsp; As for your question about our upcoming Monster Manual release, it will replace the SRD entries, so you will only see the entries from the book.
Using 5e shaped I found casting spells from the monster sheets did not display description or add dice rolls. Importing spells onto custom sheets it adds all that information to the spells.&nbsp; All it adds is below. Should it be adding the additional/completed when cast? fireball 3rd-level Abjuration Casting Time: 1 action Components: V, S, M Duration: Instantaneous
a lot of the tokens aren't dont have stats linked to them (when i drag and drop them they dont have health bars, ac, or movement). Some will have 1 or 2 of the stats.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
Rob said: a lot of the tokens aren't dont have stats linked to them (when i drag and drop them they dont have health bars, ac, or movement). Some will have 1 or 2 of the stats. Are you trying this in an abnormally large campaign? (IE: Storm Kings Thunder)

Edited 1486448152
I am having the same problem as Rob
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Rob said: a lot of the tokens aren't dont have stats linked to them (when i drag and drop them they dont have health bars, ac, or movement). Some will have 1 or 2 of the stats. Which character sheet are you using. Does your console log show any errors?
Steve K. said: Rob said: a lot of the tokens aren't dont have stats linked to them (when i drag and drop them they dont have health bars, ac, or movement). Some will have 1 or 2 of the stats. Which character sheet are you using. Does your console log show any errors? Using 5e OGL - not sure how to check console log
Firenewt Warrior - token has no stats

Edited 1486494277
Rob said: When I drag from compendium onto the VTT it creates a character handout with all the proper info and art when looking at the handout but on the VTT itself I only get a little green dot for a token (see picture). Deleting the character and retrying doesn't seem to help but like I said the actual handout shows all the correct stuff (including the token) it just doesn't appear on the VTT. using the 5e shaped sheet. Update: So it seems to not be every monster- Abjurer and Alhoon for sure, but the Mindwitness worked fine. Will test more. Update 2: seems to be an incompatibility issue with 5e shaped sheet, changed to OGL and it loads fine (and a lot faster) I am still having this issue with most tokens. I find they are stated but no token, just green dot. I am using 5e shaped character sheet.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jason E. said: I am still having this issue with most tokens. I find they are stated but no token, just green dot. I am using 5e shaped character sheet. It's fixed in the newest version of the sheet, which will go live once Roll20 greenlights it. As a pro, you could update manually if this issue annoys you a lot. Another fix is to manually right click it and set the dimension to 70×70.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jason E. said: I am still having this issue with most tokens. I find they are stated but no token, just green dot. I am using 5e shaped character sheet. There was a change made by roll20 for how tokens are setup and I was uninformed about it. As Jakob said there is a fix in, just waiting for roll20 to push it.

Edited 1486752727
Since I didn't find it through the forum search: I have noticed that tokens created via the Drag and Drop from Volo's entries don't support the "Token Tint". Any sheet I have created from a Volo's compendium entry and tied to apply a Tint to, don't not show the Tint. I normally use the Shaped sheet, but I tried with the OGL sheet and neither Tinted. The sheets I Transmog from STK Tint correctly and I don't have the new MM set yet, so can't speak to that. This has been particularly annoying as I use Tint color to represent monster health (via the Aura/Tint HealthColor script by DXWarlock) Reproduction: Using your sheet of choice(OGL or Shaped), Drag and Drop a Monster(Mindwitness for example) from Volo's. Open the Token properties. Change the "Tint" to a color (purple for example) Notice that the token does not apply the tinting. Edit Spelling I can provide an sample game this happens in if needed.
Gid
Roll20 Team
BP said: Since I didn't find it through the forum search: I have noticed that tokens created via the Drag and Drop from Volo's entries don't support the "Token Tint". Any sheet I have created from a Volo's compendium entry and tied to apply a Tint to, don't not show the Tint. I normally use the Shaped sheet, but I tried with the OGL sheet and neither Tinted. The sheets I Transmog from STK Tint correctly and I don't have the new MM set yet, so can't speak to that. This has been particularly annoying as I use Tint color to represent monster health (via the Aura/Tint HealthColor script by DXWarlock) Reproduction: Using your sheet of choice(OGL or Shaped), Drag and Drop a Monster(Mindwitness for example) from Volo's. Open the Token properties. Change the "Tint" to a color (purple for example) Notice that the token does not apply the tinting. Edit Spelling I can provide an sample game this happens in if needed. Thank you for pointing that out, BP. I've logged a bug ticket for that issue.

Edited 1488821349
Most of the tokens I've dragged into my game have worked flawlessly. However, the Flind monster does not drag successful, I can't get it to populate. Ignore this, had a character sheet for Flind I forgot to delete after purchasing Volo's.
After dragging from the compendium, the character sheet (5th Ed. OGL by Roll20) for Master Thief does not include the +7 bonus to sleight of hand.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Bitghost said: After dragging from the compendium, the character sheet (5th Ed. OGL by Roll20) for Master Thief does not include the +7 bonus to sleight of hand. I'm seeing the same issue as well. Might have something to do with the Sleight of Hand skill in general with the OGL 5E Sheet. I'll take a look at this. Thanks for bringing this up, Bitghost.
Gid
Roll20 Team
This should now be fixed. The issue was having skill attributes with two words. If there was a creature that also had skills in Handle Animal, that also would have caused issues as well. Entries like Master Thief should now transfer correctly.
The Player Race entry for Aasimar in the compendium contains multiple links to the Guidance spell, but this is not an ability of the aasimar in the book - or is it just me that's got this wrong?
Stephen Koontz
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Grant H. said: The Player Race entry for Aasimar in the compendium contains multiple links to the Guidance spell, but this is not an ability of the aasimar in the book - or is it just me that's got this wrong? What you're seeing is our auto-linking being unhelpfully-helpful. It's matching the word guidance with the spell of the same name. We'll look into cleaning up the page.
Lucian
Pro
API Scripter
I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I've just noticed that all of the img urls in volos (token imgsrc + character avatar) are missing their query string portion. I guess that this is a cache buster? Its absence is frustrating for scripters because the API won't let you work with URLs without the query string. I can work around it for now, but it would be nice if this was taken into account for future releases/updates.