Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] Markov name generator

This API script just got merged into master. This is a simple script that uses Markov chains to generate names when you enter the !markov command into the chat. This version will let you create your own namesets to be used in the Markov chain. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Get the script  here .
Gold
Forum Champion
Thanks Ryan. Nice idea for generating plausible fictional names. I will give this a try.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Are you generating Markov chains where each node is a letter? I'm dubious that would produce reasonable results, to be honest. Markov chain text generators where each node is a word are already iffy, it sounds like a word generator would compress the problems. Also, how does the script handle multiple-word names?
@Brian: The Markov chain uses individual words (not letters). The original code is in the public domain and can be found  here . I took the code (with some slight modifications), and a list of over  5000 names and made the markov logic available as an API command.   The !markov command only handles single words (names) from the default nameset, unless you  created your own nameset handout , then you can use !markov <name>  where <name> is the name of the handout. I use a small list of Latin words in my example.  The next version that I have almost finished will give you the option to bypass the markov logic and simply select a random name from the nameset. Also, right now only one custom handout/nameset will work. The next version will let you create as many as you want. For example you will be able to create separate namesets of Elven, Dwarven, and Orc names so that you can do something like this: !markov dwarf  or !markov elf --no-chain  where the first command would use markov logic to create a new name from the existing dwarven nameset, and the command with the --no-chain flag would grab a random elven name without modification from your elven nameset/handout.
Natha
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Excellent. I'm eager to try the next version.
I'll place a link to my github fork when the code is more solid. Thx. It's been nice for me when a player asks for the name of an NPC I have a quick and dirty way of getting some creative suggested names.