Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Loot Drop Table

Edited 1480539522
Teldurn
KS Backer
For the game I'm running, I have monsters that drop certain items when they're killed. The item that gets dropped depends on the monster type and a die roll to determine rarity of the item. I've come up with a way to incorporate the loot drop tables directly into Roll20 instead of keeping it a separate document I have to look up and roll on each time. The purpose of this post is to share this information (and my excitement at correctly implementing this without help) with the broader public - and I hope this is the correct forum for this. Perhaps others might find this as useful I am going to. As a simple example, let's keep it to two monsters, an orc archer and an orc warrior. In order to make this work, we're going to need two things: a "Treasure-Drop" macro button and separate rollable tables for each monster in the game. The orc archer's loot drop rollable table (appropriately named "Orc-Archer") would have three line items and would look like this: Shortbow - 50% weight (common drop) Longbow - 33% weight (uncommon drop) Crossbow - 17% weight (rare drop) The orc warrior's rollable table is: Shortsword - 50% Hammer - 33% Flail - 17% Obviously, if your game has loot drops but doesn't have item rarity for those drops, you would keep the weight fields blank. Next, the "Treasure-Drop" macro would be a roll query to provide a dropdown list to choose the monster type, which would then roll on the appropriate rollable table to determine the loot drop for that monster. With only two monsters, the macro is relatively simple: /roll ?{Choose monster type| Orc Archer, [[1t[Orc-Archer]]] | Orc Warrior, [[1t[Orc-Warrior]]] } For each new monster type in the game, you would need to add its accompanying rollable table and an extra entry in the macro text above. In-game action shots!     I hope others find this concept of a loot drop table as exciting as I do! Cheers!

Edited 1480565327
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Nice work.  I like tables that call other tables. hmmmmm... Thanks for the inspiration.
Tetsuo
Forum Champion
You could probably tidy your macro up a bit like this: [[1t[@{selected|token_name}] ]] Just would need to name your tokens as your tables with the dash (ex: Orc-Warrior). This way, there's no prompt, it just takes the token name, and pulls the right table.

Edited 1480606039
Teldurn
KS Backer
Franky H. said: You could probably tidy your macro up a bit like this: [[1t[@{selected|token_name}] ]] Just would need to name your tokens as your tables with the dash (ex: Orc-Warrior). This way, there's no prompt, it just takes the token name, and pulls the right table. I hadn't even thought of that. Sounds like a great shortcut. Having the dash in the token name sounds like an acceptable tradeoff for a cleaner macro. Thanks for the tip, Franky! :) Edited to add : It's occurred to me now that the roll query macro has been made obsolete by this shortcut, I can add a personalized emote to go along with the drop. /emas @{selected|token_name} drops a [[1t[@{selected|token_name}] ]] The elegance of this makes me so happy! Thanks again!!
Does any one know a drop table for treasure.  Like coinage?
Nathan, I don't believe drop tables exist at all. I searched on the site and came up with a whole lot of bupkis. That's why I went about creating my own. I'm sure it'd be rather simple to make the drop table be for gold instead of gear based on a monster. I imagine you'd need to have a rollable table for your list, then draw from that.