Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tables in Redactor editor take over text editing

I'm on OSX 10.11.6 using Chrome 54. This issue has been recurring for months now.  At the end of my sessions I like to write up a recap and insert tables with a breakdown of Experience points earned and any Treasures found and their values.  I have no trouble writing anything up and formatting text, and inserting a table doesn't cause much of an issue - I'm able to add columns and rows and format it as needed. But once I have at least one table in the editor, adding further text to the post becomes nearly impossible.  Even if I insert extra text after the table prior to inserting the table into the post, any time I hit return it will add that return to the first cell in the table instead of into the body of the post itself.  There doesn't seem to be anything I can do to get it to shift focus to the text instead of the table, even though the cursor is outside of the table body. The only workaround I've been able to use is to edit the contents of the redactor element using developer tools, manually inserting tags and text into the source directly to skip Redactor's JS. In the image attached below I've tried to illustrate what I'm seeing.  There should be no space in the first row of the table, but hitting return in the text near the bottom inserts the break into the table instead of at the spot of the cursor.  The text in <> is typed directly after hitting return - so cursor did not move, but break was inserted into the wrong place.

Edited 1521130668
Silvyre
Forum Champion
The Rich Text Editor currently used across Roll20 has a lot of problems (especially with handling pasted content), and the Dev Team is definitely looking into overhauling it . Some users have had success copying and pasting content from Google Docs or Google Sheets into the Rich Text Editor. I might recommend trying this as a workaround. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meanwhile. The only workaround I've been able to use is to edit the contents of the redactor element using developer tools, manually inserting tags and text into the source directly to skip Redactor's JS. This is a solid workaround.
Thanks Silvyre.  I figured I'd enter an issue just to make sure it was known and it didn't have something to do with some particulars on my end, but if it's on the list then I'll work around it until there's a better resolution.  It's not a show stopper for me, just more of an annoyance.