Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting and Multiple Player Tokens

Edited 1480969361
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
I did some googling and could not find any reports of this. I'm not sure if it's a known bug/feature or not. My GM showed me a map he had set up with dynamic lighting today and we discovered that we were seeing very different things, even though we were looking though the "eyes" of the same token. After some troubleshooting, we figured out that if a player has sight for more than one token, the highest multiplier in the token settings affects the sight of all of the tokens that player has vision through. Here's an example to help clarify. I am the player in this game. I have control over two tokens, one is a character with "normal" vision (1x multiplier) and one is a character with darkvision (2x multiplier). If the GM uses Ctrl+L on the normal token, he sees the room as intended. We've included the normal token's settings in the screen shot.: This is my (player) perspective at exactly the same time. You can see that my familiar with darkvision, the smaller token on the left, is on the map. He is in a different room that has been completely blocked off by sight lines: When the character with darkvision is removed from the map, the character with normal vision sees the room in the same way as the GM does. Here are the settings on the darkvision token: We found that if the gm changed the multiplier of the darkvison character down to 1, the normal token had sight as intended. As a workaround, the GM has removed sight from any token controlled by the players except for their specific characters. We'll be manually "turning on" darkvision on familiars and party-controlled NPCs as needed. We're not really looking for a "fix" for this, but we thought that it was worth reporting as it doesn't seem to be functioning as intended. It would be much more convenient if we didn't have to turn sight off and on for player controlled familiars and NPCs.
Gid
Roll20 Team
This is Dynamic Lighting working as intended. If a player controls two or more tokens with a vision radius, they'll see everything that is collectively visible by all the tokens they control. It's basically how the GM sees the table when not using Ctrl+L to isolate a single token. If the GM were to shut down vision on all but the two tokens you control on that page, the GM would also see the same exact lighting/line-of-sight setup as you are.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Sorry, I don't think I was clear but it's a little difficult to explain. The familiar token has a blocked line of sight into the large room. The familiar is blocked off by walls from the rest of the map. The player token is behaving as though it has a 2x multiplier instead of a 1x multiplier. It's not that the player is seeing though the eyes of both tokens at once, that is expected, it's that the settings on the familiar token are overriding the settings on the player token.

Edited 1480972008
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Here's a DM view of the dynamic lighting layer (the walls are done in grey/white, doors in red). You can see that the familiar is completely blocked off from the large room. The familiar's sight is only 5 squares in the small rectangular room. The player character token is two rooms away in the large room. So the player token should not be able to see into the dark areas of the large room as the player token only has a 1x multiplier and the familair has no sight line there.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Ah. Okay. Kirsty,can you tell me the name of the campaign, the page in question and the token names where this is happening? That way I can take a look at this directly.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Sure thing. The game is Storm King's Thunder and the gm is  Warkoala . As far as we can tell, it's happening with all of the tokens, but we first noticed it with "Griff" (pc token with normal vision) and Rillik (npc with darkvision). 
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Did you find the game, Kristin? I can pm you a link if that is easier for you.

Edited 1481141546
I believe the main issue going on is that Roll20 does not differentiate lighting from vision. Thus, it considers the 'vision' of your second token as a light source. EDIT: In retrospect I just realized what I wrote made little sense and it was the other way around; the familiar has the multiplier and emits light and the character doesn't. So from what I understand about the Multiplier, it really just multiplies all of the visible light sources by the listed number. Since the player controls both tokens, it multiplies all the light sources visible by both tokens. From the looks of it it feels more like a limitation than a bug. Either way, I agree that it can make things inconvenient (just realized one of my players has this issue and never told me). Now that I think about it, if players get access to Ctrl+L, it could probably help in this case.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Yah, Suw, I think you've hit the nail on the head. After discovering this, I realized that it's impacting my other games and I didnt know. I've been using Aaron's torch script, so I've written a macro that will let me easily put vision on and off the familiars. It's just a pain to remember to turn the vision on or off.
Gid
Roll20 Team
My apologies for the delay. I have Tuesdays off, so I'm back to digging through this now.

Edited 1481157822
Gid
Roll20 Team
For clarity sake, I created my own test with a less complicated DL setup (no torch lights, simpler battlemap). Something very strange is clearly going on with Multipliers and Player View and I don't think that's working as intended. I'll write up a bug report for this. 
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Sorry, Kristin, I didn't mean to rush you! Thank you for looking into it. :)