Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e OGL] Clickable actions in chat?

What I'm trying to accomplish is a macro that lists all spells an NPC knows, or all spells of a certain level an NPC knows, etc in chat, but then the ability to click the spell name in the chat window and have it then generate the spell as it's setup in the character/npc sheet. So if I click the NPC's Spellcasting macro, it lists their full list of spells in the chat window. I can then click on Magic Missile in that chat message and it will generate a Magic Missile cast according to how Magic Missile is setup in that NPC's sheet. I'm assuming this is possible, but perhaps it isn't? I haven't had much luck figuring it out on my own. I appreciate any help that's provided!

Edited 1481920815
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
I and several others have done this. You can find my investigations into the 5e OGL roll templates on the  forums and in the  wiki . The forum post has a skill, save, ability check menu prototype I put togehter a few posts down, and Michael M. posted a basic spellbook menu. Kenneth Smith has taken the info from that forum post and made a  pretty cool spellbook macro that even relays what is capable of being ritually cast as well as what is prepared. If you need help implementing either of these ideas, or if they don't quite fit your needs, feel free to ask. Scott
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you're curious the Shaped sheet has this functionality built in. It can show which spells are prepared are not, rituals prompt for cast as ritual or not, spell list is generated automatically, etc. But as Scott mentions above it's possible to build this manually with OGL as well.
Kryx said: If you're curious the Shaped sheet has this functionality built in. It can show which spells are prepared are not, rituals prompt for cast as ritual or not, spell list is generated automatically, etc. But as Scott mentions above it's possible to build this manually with OGL as well. I appreciate that, Kryx. Unfortunately, I haven't had an easy time trying to switch to your sheet, and I fully acknowledge that's likely due to my own lack of experience with Roll20. My primary goal with Roll20 is to be able to quickly import and generate NPCs/Monsters and link them to tokens with a set of default token actions. While I know this is purportedly true with your sheet, I've had very little luck doing so. In fact, the issues I've had with spells was the primary reason I stopped trying to use your sheet. For whatever reason, importing a spellcasting NPC in either by dragging and dropping the OGL monster entry onto the table, or dragging it directly into a blank character sheet, both yields the same issues. All spells are imported in as Cantrips, and none of them are imported in with any information/functionality. They all simply become level 1 abjuration spells with no other data. I'm sure that it's due to some sort of failure or misunderstanding on my own end, but I did not want to bother you with such a basic question as "how do I get importing OGL NPCs to work," and think that your sheet may just be a bit too complex for my Roll20 novice status.

Edited 1481923745
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The problem is that the monster data from the compendium does not contain any information about the spells. In the most recent version of the sheet (not yet live on roll20), they get put into the correct levels, but their information will still be empty. You can, however, fix this by dragging (while the sheet is in edit mode) the correct spells from the compendium on top of the existing (empty) spells on the spellcasting NPC. The empty spells can then at least serve as a guide for what spells to drag in. There are more sophisticated  (but easy and very low-effort!) ways of automatically inputting everything via the API, but with just the compendium, this is the best that can be done, for any sheet. Ask me via PM if you want to know more about other methods. Also, you can use the Shaped Companion script for token action generation. It's pretty good at it, too!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Art P. said: For whatever reason, importing a spellcasting NPC in either by dragging and dropping the OGL monster entry onto the table, or dragging it directly into a blank character sheet, both yields the same issues. All spells are imported in as Cantrips, and none of them are imported in with any information/functionality. They all simply become level 1 abjuration spells with no other data. As Jakob pointed out this is an unfortunate limitation of the SRD. The situation is the exact same with the OGL sheet. Using the shaped companion script is by far the easiest way since you're a pro. It will automatically setup spells, actions, token bars, token actions, etc based on whatever setup you desire (configurable via a chat menu).