Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[D&D 3.5E Module] The Chosen One Prologue

Edited 1481938071
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Link to the Marketplace:  The Chosen One Prologue If you like the portraits and tokens, please check out the great work done by  Vanderforge The Six Duchies is a place always expecting some level of tension; the annual raids out of the deserts by goblins and hobgoblins, and a neighbouring nation devoted to warlike gods and a history of bloody war. Into the mix of this tension, the players arrive in a city far from where the goblins usually raid, but close to the warlike Parlassia. All arrived for their own reasons, some plagued by nightmares from childhood, and others filled with wanderlust, they unite for reasons only they know about to potentially make lives as mercenaries. Until they get sent on that particular job, and it leaves them on a precipice of a much bigger problem than a village or two needing to be rebuilt or a few hundred livestock stolen. And that problem seems to be wrapped up in a book, written in the Goblin language, wrapped in cured wolf pelts, and found amongst piles of strange loot in a raider’s tent. This is a set of missions, with some background information and resources of the world for GMs who want to do their own creations, intended to take a party of four players from Level 1 to approximately Level 3 across a variety of situations in urban and wilderness environments. From uncovering the real murderer, to shady espionage work, and sometimes working for the Guildmistress of the Bowyers and Fletchers, the players end up with a diverse experience of what can be found within the Six Duchies but left on something of a cliff-hanger with a strange book in their hands. This is the Prologue of a longer campaign, so expect more releases! The full campaign will eventually take players to about Level 18.  
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Yes! It's finally out! Woohoo! Thank you, Andrew for the opportunity to work on this, I've been wanting to work on a module for a long time and I'm glad it finally worked out! You did a fantastic job setting this up, I love the setting, the lore, and the story behind it! Most of all I love the characters (Both PCs and NPCs) it was super fun to paint these and a refreshing change to do full protraits as well as tokens! I'm sorry for the over use of exclamation points, I'm very excited about this!  I hope everyone enjoys this module, Andrew put a lot of time and work into it and I think it shows.  I'm looking forward to working together again!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Cool!! Congrats, guys!
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Fernando & Silvyre

Edited 1482255071
Gold
Forum Champion
This module The Chosen One Prologue is clearly Made-For-Roll20, which makes it all the greater. It's very custom and nicely set up with generous amount of content in all the areas of Roll20 features. Jukebox, Characters, Handouts, Tokens, monsters, New Spells, helpful GM Layer notes. Loved the look of the Deities section of handouts with the different illustrated holy symbols for each. There are a good number of Pages and several different types of maps -- I really like the overland hex regional maps, the clever "town" that employs some theater of the mind with neighborhood sections that Players can choose to move their character tokens to visit places, and many Pages which are created just to display a character NPC picture in full feature size. If you like showing NPC portraiture to add to the flavor of describing a non-Player Character, this module emphasizes that mode of roleplaying. There are also encounter-scale maps (battle maps), they are adequate and would work well for Pathfinder and D&D 3.5 scale of combat, games with 6 second rounds and specific squares of movement. These are my least favorite type of maps in the module because I generally prefer larger territory, and some are dominated by grass texture. They are still very useable.   I compliment Andrew on the set-up such as little details like having the GM layer note at the top-left corner that loads first. The art by Vanderforge that is customized to the NPC descriptions is great. I can't comment on the adventure itself yet, until after I get a chance to run it for a group and read each section thoroughly. The adventure itself is read through the Handouts.  As a GM, I'll need to pre-read through the Handouts to get the quests and plot and descriptions, and could probably read just 1 chapter at a time (the next chapter your group is about to play next) to be prepared. The Handouts are neatly organized and appear to contain generous but not overwhelming amount of text material.  It is written in a readable format that wouldn't take too long to read each. Here there is less reading than Storm King's Thunder, and more reading than Arcania Adventures FastPlay-format modules in the Marketplace. There are some cool Wandering Monster charts that can bring variety by random rolls, or GM's Choice.  The Chosen One looks like a low-level module that intends for gradual advancement of character levels, and looks like it will tie-in with upcoming follow-up modules that Andrew is probably already working on (hence, "Prologue" in the title). It will be a series. Congrats on the release and your foray into the Marketplace and adventure publishing. Looking forward to running this module for a gaming group when we are ready to start a new campaign.

Edited 1482285854
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Thanks Gold. Good to know at least one copy has sold! Yay, not a completely failed venture!!! But this is also part of a longer plan, so I can take some of that stuff and dovetail it into future work. Hope you find the 'thumbtacks' system useful as well. It is a prologue to a longer campaign I started as pen-and-paper before my play group all left town and had kids and.. and... and...  So for them at least, there are five more chapters after this, but I might break it into 3 or 4 more Roll20 modules depending on how I go and how much load/effort it would put on Vanderforge.  I mean we don't need Volumes to be so huge that the price tag has to become $30 or $50 to feel like the effort was worth it.
Vanderforge
Marketplace Creator
Awesome review Gold ! Thanks for taking the time to check it out so thoroughly, my sentiments on it are the same as yours; I am biased of course as I did the art for Andrew but the only reason I took the gig is because when I saw what he had already created I immediately recognized it was special and of a high level of quality that provides a great value for Roll20 players! Andrew really did do a fantastic job, you can tell he put a lot of work, time, and effort into it and I really looking forward to the next chapter when he's finished with it!
It's clear there was a great deal of hard work that was put into this. I have a lot of reading ahead of me! :-) I have noticed a couple minor things: 1) Is the Information macro supposed to be included or do I have to make it myself? I turned on the macro quickbar, but there are no macros there. 2) The handout for the Knight of the Faith is empty, save for the campaign logo. 3) The formatting of the spell stats in the Detect Chaos handout is off; it's a narrow table with visible gridlines. 4) Some bullets in bulleted lists in handouts are shifted to the right, over the text. See most deity Core Tenets and the end of the Terror of the Unknown handout for examples. Some deities don't have bullets or have a capital letter O instead. Looking forward to reading through the whole thing! Kudos!

Edited 1482633883
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Knight of the Faith wasn't completed in time to my satisfaction and was deleted, so I thought. Send me a PM and I can provide it for you. In the GM Notes section there should be a Handout with the macro inside. If not then it is just /w gm @{selected|bar1} regarding the Bullets, I will try get hold of the Team and see what can be done about pushing down an update. When the Knoght of the Faith is done I will see if that can be pushed down too. It was a Prestige Class idea to get around the drawbacks I see in the usual 3.5E Paladin, namely about it being alignment limited while being an obviously divine warrior/knight concept. I can't see a reason why such a class wouldn't be a Prestige class for Fighter-Clerics and why it should be alignment restricted.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
** Update ** A new version with a few minor upgrades and additions, has been sent over to the Roll20 Team. So expect it to be pushed out sometime soon.  Your new version should include the Handout "Version Notes v1.1"