Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How do you make multilayered structures in Roll20?

This might be a confusing question, I wanna know if it's possible as Gabriel Pickard has several ship packs that add in multi layer ships, I wanna know if it's possible to stack those layers on one top of another and just "shift" to one of them to play on without having to switch to a brand new map page. I've read passingly about something called Mask Layers but I have no idea if that's what I or if it could do what I would want it to, IE preserving token and background item locations and then hiding them when that part of the ship is hidden by the layer above.
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I suggest using a single map page with the sub maps side by side. You can then use Fog of War to hide the decks that your players haven't explored yet. You also will not have problems with the Turn Tracker and switching map pages. 
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Yeah I'd also recommend that if it is basically 'one location' you use one Roll20 Map and partition it by something like Fog of War, or if you've got a Pro Subscription you'd use Dynamic Lighting.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
For completeness sake, I'll throw out that you could make a rollable table with each layer of the ship as a face (be sure to do it in order, you can't reorder rollable tables), then place a rollable table token on the map sized as you like. You can then swap the layer by selecting the face.  That precludes using dynamic lighting or having players on different levels, but you might find it useful somewhere. 
The Aaron said: For completeness sake, I'll throw out that you could make a rollable table with each layer of the ship as a face (be sure to do it in order, you can't reorder rollable tables), then place a rollable table token on the map sized as you like. You can then swap the layer by selecting the face.  That precludes using dynamic lighting or having players on different levels, but you might find it useful somewhere.  I had not thought of doing something like that, but I can definitely see myself using that technique in the future
Gold
Forum Champion
I personally usually do what Andrew and Andrew suggested. I've done that for ships, towers, and inns with multiple levels. I've also done the Rollable Table method from The Aaron. For a ship, for example, place the "Below deck" map, lower down the Page of Roll20, and keep it covered with Fog Of War until the characters go downstairs. Put a nice background of ocean water in between to serve as the border between "2 maps on 1 page".
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Kyle G. said: The Aaron said: For completeness sake, I'll throw out that you could make a rollable table with each layer of the ship as a face (be sure to do it in order, you can't reorder rollable tables), then place a rollable table token on the map sized as you like. You can then swap the layer by selecting the face.  That precludes using dynamic lighting or having players on different levels, but you might find it useful somewhere.  I had not thought of doing something like that, but I can definitely see myself using that technique in the future It's handy to create a character with that Rollable Table Token as the token so you can drag it out whenever you need that ship map.  Particularly great if your players are always sailing about... =D