Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Idea] Roll20 Chrome Extension

I've done a proof of concept, and wondered if there is any interest for me to spend more time further developing this. The proof of concept is custom token markers. This is a&nbsp; highly requested feature Here's some screenshots of what I have working so far: Marker Selection Adding a token marker Token Marker added The code for this extension is very simple. All it does is intercept the token marker sheet and insert my own from my shared dropbox. All users need to have the extension installed to see the marker changes. Here's the meat of the code: chrome.webRequest.onBeforeRequest.addListener( &nbsp;function(details) &nbsp;{ &nbsp;return {redirectUrl: "<a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32885273/statussheet_small.png" rel="nofollow">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32885273/statussheet_small.png</a>"}; &nbsp;}, &nbsp;{urls: ["*://app.roll20.net/images/statussheet*", ], types: ["image"]}, &nbsp;["blocking"]); This does not add additional markers it just allows some graphical customization to the existing markers. To be quite honest I'm not sure why this isn't already a feature in Roll20 as it would be simple to implement. Here's my dropbox replacement image: <a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32885273/statu" rel="nofollow">https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/32885273/statu</a>... &nbsp;
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
That's pretty cool. &nbsp;I'd be interested in it, especially if I could customize stuff myself.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Looks interesting. You may want to look at&nbsp; Stephen's take&nbsp; on this from a while back.
Finderski said: That's pretty cool. &nbsp;I'd be interested in it, especially if I could customize stuff myself. Yes. That is the intent is that I want to design this extension so you specify where the replacement marker sheet image lives (for proof of concept I used Gimp to adjust the default marker image PNG and put my customized marker image in dropbox and told the extension to "hijack" the default marker sheet and replace it with my custom one.) Your players would need to install the extension and enter a public URL (like dropbox) to your replacement marker sheet so that everyone will see the same markers.
Scott C. said: Looks interesting. You may want to look at&nbsp; Stephen's take&nbsp; on this from a while back. I started with custom markers for the extension since it is a very popular feature request and was easy to code. If there is enough interest I'd like to take this further so that the extension could provide such things as: Custom&nbsp;compendium(s) and/or annotations to existing compendium&nbsp;entries. Token and graphics that can be used outside of the API's&nbsp; restricted datastore In game notifications that do not require the player to click on a link. Popup a handout when a player token collides with an object for instance. Provide a method of playing music (and even video) using your personal dropbox or Google drive files or other sources (Youtube for instance). Multiple file upload of images to your library (right now drag and drop only supports a singe file at a time). Custom character sheets that support true Jquery, Bootstrap, Ember, Angular, React, etc. Fix this&nbsp; dreadful shortcoming . Other things I've not thought of I use Stephen's script for custom markers. It's a very clever and nice script.&nbsp; This approach with an extension right now-- Pros: does not have the sliding delay when a token moves. Custom markers appear as native markers. You don't need to use the API for it to work. Cons: it does not allow for new markers and all players/GM would need to have the extension installed and "pointing" at the replacement marker image sheet.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
If you get all that going, that'll be really nice. If you do attempt the music one, it'd be nice (no idea if it's possible) to still be able to trigger said music via the API somehow.
Scott C. said: If you get all that going, that'll be really nice. If you do attempt the music one, it'd be nice (no idea if it's possible) to still be able to trigger said music via the API somehow. Yes indeed. Chrome extensions can capture changes to the web page (including the chat window) so in theory an API could send a chat response which the extension can " see " and act on. Although this may not be possible if the chat window is detached from the main window.&nbsp;
Looks like there is some interest in this. I'm going to try and polish the custom marker Chrome extension (hopefully over the weekend) and may have something more functional for anyone interested.
Not that it seems like they've done any work on completing my suggestion... but i hope this doesn't give them any reason to further delay the lack of work.