Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is it any way to change a token's picture (or a picture source) ?

tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
Is it any way to change a token's picture (or a picture source) ? For exemple, i have several tokens made from the same picture. I want to change this picture for all the tokens. Can i do it easily, or do i have to create new tokens?
Gauss
Forum Champion
No, there is no way to change a token's picture from whatever it was created as. However, if you need a token to be able to have a variety of pictures I suggest creating a Rollable Table and then turning that into a Token. After turning it into a token right click on the token and go to Advanced and deselect "Is Drawing". - Gauss
tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
Gauss said: No, there is no way to change a token's picture from whatever it was created as. However, if you need a token to be able to have a variety of pictures I suggest creating a Rollable Table and then turning that into a Token. After turning it into a token right click on the token and go to Advanced and deselect "Is Drawing". - Gauss Interesting. I tried to use it by adding a new image-item to the rollable table after creating the token , then change the token by using "choose side", but it didn't work : the new item choice isn't available !?
Gauss
Forum Champion
When you make a token from a Rollable Table that token becomes it's own thing. Any alterations you make to the table at that point do not have an effect on the token. Example: I make a table called "Random Orc generator" and I put 5 images of orcs in it. Then I turn that into a token with 5 images. Later I decide to add a 6th orc picture to the table. The Table now has 6 images while the token still only has 5 images. If I want a token with 6 images I would need to create a new token from the revised table.
tontione
Pro
Sheet Author
Bad news for me. :( As the token is linked to the rollable table, wouldn't it be more logical that any change on the rollable table affects the token too !? As it is actually, it's not evolutive at all... There is no way to improve / change easily pictures or tokens (linked to rollable tables) display..
Gauss
Forum Champion
Im not sure I understand what you mean by linked to rollable tables. They are not linked. When you copy a token and then make changes to the copy should those changes be reflected in the original? When you copy a character sheet and then make changes to the copy should those changes be reflected in the original? This is similar. When you create a rollable token it becomes it's own thing. It is no longer connected to the original. However, if you would like it to perform differently please post a suggestion. Perhaps a way to edit the token as if it were a table. :)
Interestingly, the new post about the Rugged Reroll states that imgsrc has been unlocked for changing through the API. So changing the image is now scriptable for Mentors.
You shouldn't have to write an API script to change a friggin' image. Hopefully now that it can be done, it'll get rolled into the interface.
as the api allows a better option...you shouldn't have to therefore do not and choose to do things the long and traditional way.