before going any further ill start by saying im available every day of the week save sundays and thursdays (though thursday may be negotiable) from the ranges of 2:00 PM - 2:00 AM MST, im only looking for something thats at least weekly. so i've been playing tabletop for a few years and every now and then i get this idea for a character that sounds really cool in my head, all i can think of is how it would work in a worldsetting, how the mechanics for it might work, the cool adventures i could have but so far i feel like if you aren't playing something very basic it can be very hard to find a game, thats why im checkin the forums to see if ill have any more luck here. im looking for a more traditional game, something where the party is a crew of adventurers who travel the world trying to do something, be it stop a plague or save the world or get some powerful artifact, the occaisional dungeon delve, people who see or encounter a wide variety of things, thing is i dont really see anyone run those games anymore, i mostly see prepublished adventure modules and i gotta be honest, if "Sir Nicholas Deveraux, the last heir of a dying empire" is the same as "bob the fighter" well you dont need me, you just need a guy who can tank for the wizard and shove an axe into someones face and i may as well go find another game, thing is "other games" seem to be rare, is there some setting in LFG i could be ticking so i get something beyond just hack-n-slash? right now i've got the notion to play a doctor of some kind, some guy who comes from a (comparatively) advanced worldsetting and through means both arcane and beyond his understanding he finds himself stuck here fighting dragons and orcs alongside a party of adventurers, a character where i can delve into concepts of magic and science side by side, my surgery may not be as convenient as your cure moderate wounds but perhaps it can do what your magic cant, afterall a heal spell is practically the definition of a band-aid whereas i can find the source of ailment and cut it out, a sword? well where i come from only the navy uses those in battle anymore but i've got a shovel, a gun and some techy gadgets, get me in the right place and those skellies wont know what hit em. thing is, any time i pitch this idea (or any other) no one seems down for it and they make me play something from core like a cleric or a fighter, i've seen people even get offended by the very MENTION of third party material and while theres nothing wrong with a dm having a specific theme in mind or wanting to "protect their worldsetting", i just come up with cool character ideas all the time that sound like they would be fun to play and i would like to actually use one of them for once, even when i go with more traditional stuff like being a knight i just seem to get shot down, the last game i was in my backstory specifically mentioned that my character was wanted for being framed as a kingslayer and after six RL months the DM never so much as said we saw wanted posters up in one of the numerous cities we came across or sent some bounty hunters after us, are there any DM's out there who have room in their game and can give me abit of freedom to play something beyond the norm? i might even see if i could come up with the cash to chip in for a paid DM if i could have some fun for once but i can't ever seem to find any of those either.