Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Special dynamic lighting layer objects.

I see several suggestions regarding special types of dynamic lighting behavior, but I think they should be considered together, and handled as special objects on the dynamic lighting layer. The suggestions i refer to are: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting#post-1244067" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1242655/dynamic-lighting-one-sided-dynamic-lighting#post-1244067</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1241274/dynamic-lighting-add-a-map-wide-light-setting#post-1244015" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1241274/dynamic-lighting-add-a-map-wide-light-setting#post-1244015</a> <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240407/dynamic-lighting-variable-wall-opacity#post-1240407" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1240407/dynamic-lighting-variable-wall-opacity#post-1240407</a> I think all of these should be handled with special purpose objects on the dynamic lighting layer. Ideally you would have the ability to pull up a menu of advanced dynamic lighting objects, select the one you want and have it just work the way it is supposed to. Each object could have a brief description telling you what it does and have visual cues telling you what direction the effect works in if that matters. They would also need to be able to scale in various directions to accommodate the different places they would be used. For instance, The one way wall could be a simple line with arrows coming out of one side. If you select it you get the option to change its length, rotate it or move it to where you need it. The variable opacity wall, could have arrows hitting the wall, but also have a bubble in the middle to set the percentage of light that gets through. It would scale like the one way wall and probably most other special objects. The map wide light could be a sun (moon for dim light?), and could ignore all light blocking lines, there would also be a corresponding item that would let you draw a polygon that ignores the sunlight (or moonlight). You could also have items like doors, that would be tied to objects on the token layer so you can rotate the door out of the way and the door still blocks light, just not in the doorway it occupied before. Rotating the door back does exactly what you would expect. How about an object that actually radiates darkness? maybe something that removes/adds certain types of light tags on the tokens? Pass through this doorway and your torch goes out.... Next we could get into more exotic lighting objects. How about linked objects that let you see something somewhere else on the map as if it was right in front of your character? You just pull them out of the menu and move them where you need them.
+1
Dan W.
Sheet Author
Sounds like a conceptually elegant solution and first step to the other suggestions. Not being a dev, no idea if that's hard to implement or not. +1 from me.
+1 See <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1271005/object-" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1271005/object-</a>...
I thought of a few more items I would like to add to the list today so here they are... Mirror objects: cause light to be reflected/redirected Stained glass: changes the color of light that passes through it. I have also thought about how it would need to be implemented, and the only way I can think of to make a lot of this stuff work is to switch to a ray traced model for light( I don't know how it is handled currently). It would only need to account for light bounces in the case of the mirror object or something similar, but it would have to allow for the rays to fade over time, and be broken up into pieces by some of the other tokens. I suppose the effort required to implement it would be rather large, and I am guessing it would be rather resource intensive to run on the client side, but it would be AWESOME!!!! On the plus side, my completely programing ignorant mind can't find any reason why it shouldn't work with the additional types of light currently being developed.....
Now that the Dev Sever is working on Restrict Movement using the Dynamic Lighting Tool! We also need a "zone" element in the lighting tool, the zone could be used to move players from one level of the map to another, zone could be used to create one way walls, Teleporters, stairs, holes, traps and more. I am not a code monkey so I do not know what would be involved in implementing zoning to the Dynamic Lighting Tool, but I thinking it should use a drawing labeled "beginning" and "end", place your drawings with "beginning" and "end" on either side off a Dynamic Lighting line and you get a one way wall. Basically a token landing on a drawing with the "beginning" tag gets moved to the drawing with the "end" tag. Jim
I would love to see this, particularly with a "variable global illumination" (as per <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1337963/adjustab" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1337963/adjustab</a>... ) where we could set anything outside of LOS to some intermediate opacity. For instance the Global Illumination could be set to 50% opaque (enough for PCs to see what's there, barely), but the PC's LoS would be 0% opaque. This would allow signalling to the PCs that they know where something is, but can't actually currently see it. It may be a separate suggestions, but variable accessibility would be nice as well. E.g. something that blocks LoS but not passage, like a wall of fog or tangle of vines. Maybe checkboxes for DL objects? Blocks LoS, Blocks Illumination, Allows Passage?
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roger A. said: The variable opacity wall, could have arrows hitting the wall, but also have a bubble in the middle to set the percentage of light that gets through. It would scale like the one way wall and probably most other special objects. Ties into this in that it requires advanced use of the dynamic lighting feature but i would like to see movement restricting lines that are completely transparent (basically an extension of Roger's summary above) to prevent players from doing the impossible that current lighting lines cannot prevent (for example, they should be able to see through the portcullis but not move through it, or they could dive into the moat and go for a swim but I, as GM, do not want them too!). Therefore this suggestions gets a big fat +1 from me.
I would definitely love a light blocking object function (i.e. door). It could even be used for sufficiently large/opaque creatures. This suggestion receives my +1.
And another case: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1562553/dynamic-lighting-magical-darkness#post-1562629" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1562553/dynamic-lighting-magical-darkness#post-1562629</a>
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1

Edited 1454267111
Roger A. said: ... The one way wall could be a simple line with arrows coming out of one side. If you select it you get the option to change its length, rotate it or move it to where you need it. They'd have to also fix the Dynamic Lighting so that it properly sees path rotations. Atm, if you rotate a path on the dynamic lighting layer (only possible through API), the Dynamic Lighting doesn't take that the path rotation into account when it calculates the lighting and visibility masks. The way Dungeon Mapper works is it deletes the linked dynamic lighting path and remakes it, which is kind of ridiculous overhead compared to an API call to resolve a path's rotation to its vertices. We don't have access to the _path JSON for editing, so it's impossible to do via API script. The variable opacity wall, could have arrows hitting the wall, but also have a bubble in the middle to set the percentage of light that gets through. It would scale like the one way wall and probably most other special objects. ... How about an object that actually radiates darkness? These two could be very similar solutions, or possibly even the same solution. If I linked variable opacity paths to a token, with an API script I could set it up so the token "radiates darkness" (actually blocks light). An added bonus, because those paths are independent of the token's layer, you could keep the token on the GM layer and players would just see the darkness. My current solution for something similar to this is to store the linked path _ID's on the GM Notes of the token, and then process their movement on the update:graphic event. This would require an option to allow a variable opacity wall to ignore the Restrict Movement setting, otherwise the darkness would also be walls. The map wide light could be a sun (moon for dim light?), and could ignore all light blocking lines, there would also be a corresponding item that would let you draw a polygon that ignores the sunlight (or moonlight). OP is old, so it was before this was in effect. Unfortunately though, you can only do "bright" map-wide lighting, which sucks for night maps. There should really be a drop-down or option-box for bright/dim map-wide lighting. maybe something that removes/adds certain types of light tags on the tokens? Pass through this doorway and your torch goes out.... I believe this is possible through the TokenCollision Script. I haven't looked into it much, but with some coding you should be able to change the light settings of a token when it collides with a GM Layer path (marking the grid locations that would trigger the "event"). How about linked objects that let you see something somewhere else on the map as if it was right in front of your character? You just pull them out of the menu and move them where you need them. Already possible without the use of an API. Just make a token in the area you want that player to see, set its light-source, and make it controllable by that player. You could also combine it with an API script to lock that token's movement so they can see the area, but not explore. You could also have items like doors, that would be tied to objects on the token layer so you can rotate the door out of the way and the door still blocks light, just not in the doorway it occupied before. Rotating the door back does exactly what you would expect. Also already possible with an API script; DungeonMapper does it, and I'm working on something similar. Only problem is the aforementioned not calculating path rotations for dynamic lighting, so you have to delete the path and remake one (it's a PITA). Here's a screenshot of what happens if you don't make a new Dynamic Lighting Layer path and just do a rotation with the API (the path is the red box): In summary, +1 to 1-way walls, variable opacity walls, and map-wide dim lighting. Everything else is already possible.
+1 esp. variable dimming areas (such as looking- from-plains-into-a-forest effect)
I would love one-way walls. They'd help for elevation issues.
Doesn't d20pro do all this out of the box? &nbsp;It's been over a year - what's Roll20 doing?
I need that map light setting so much... :(
I would just like to be able to make windows that you can look through, but still resrict movement. But a lot of these suggestions, could they be handled with an idea I had, set certain color lines you draw on the dynamic lighting layer to have different effects, like being able to see through them, or have an object feature you can add to make them filter light or create areas of darkness or reflect light, etc? +1
+1
+1
+1
Related to the other threads linked earlier, this will be in a Long-Term Canvas based batch of updates that we have no timeline on currently.
+1
All the important stuff is Canvas related.
+1
+1
Any Updates on this? I came for the transparent barriers and one way walls. Be nice to have player usable doors as well. Instead of small walls that you delete when they open the door
Ahpook
Roll20 Production Team
+1 Please make this happen
Aerotech
Pro
API Scripter
+1 I would love to see this
+1
+1
+1
+1
+1 This would be amazing!
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
This post has six different features included in one Suggestion. Global Illumination is compete. One Sided Dynamic Lighting is included in another Suggestion.&nbsp; As such, this suggestion's feature list includes Variable Dynamic Lighting lines. Variables include: + Opacity of wall (0% opacity would be transparent walls that block movement but not light) + Color change (Stained glass, color the shadow cast, etc) We are working on optimizing Animations and Advanced Fog of War updates. Shortly, we'll be adding a Weather Effects layer to the VTT. At that point we'll be tackling new features like this one, but we'll be cautious of the weight this might add on performance as we implement.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
As the Get A New Look update nears stability, we will take on building a Weather Effects layer for the VTT. During that process, we will begin plans on how best to develop this and similar features, and make a timetable public as soon as we are confident.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
More enhancements on the Get A New Look update have been developed and are being tested, but we have more work to complete before we start this new set of features for Dynamic Lighting.
I have added a new item if you want to add it to this umbrella issue: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7393037/allow-external-lighting-of-areas-maybe-at-paint" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7393037/allow-external-lighting-of-areas-maybe-at-paint</a>
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
The Get A New Look update is reaching stability, and the next round of enhancements to the VTT system is being planned. Additional drawing tools like this request are not expected to be included in the next update, we hope to begin research and scheduling after that.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
My apologies for the delay between responses. As mentioned in&nbsp; another thread , we are developing a version of the Lighting System built on&nbsp; WebGL ,&nbsp;which now has enough support to be viable for our supported browsers. This feature will be possible once that implementation is rolled out.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Dynamic Lighting with WebGL is still in the works, and preventing work on this feature. I will keep you updated with the latest as it develops.&nbsp;
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
A New Light is currently on the Dev Server for Beta Testing , and we are working on the issues found and preparing for full release. Once that feature is available to all subscribers, and in a stable place, we will be able to better gauge a feature to meet the needs outlined in this Suggestion.
The mega enhancement for me would be objects with vision blocking. E.g. a door (visible as object to the players) which blocks vision. Like it is possible in maptools for some years: <a href="https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1080549532019873" rel="nofollow">https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1080549532019873</a> That would be a bummer for walls too, because the players would not see just black wall around them because of the vision blocking but actual wall without being able to see through them. +1
Relatively new user here; is the current Dynamic Lighting system the aforementioned "New Light", or is another thing in the making (and if so how's it coming along)? If it is, are there any updates to this in regards to e.g. adding a roof as the visibility blocker instead of just a black square inside the house walls?
+1
+1 Man, this request has been around since 2013.
+1, this should have been done already.