Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Buttons on the map?

So I'm wanting something similar to a character bio, but I haven't used roll20 enough to know if this is possible, or if it is, how to best go about doing it. So I've got a map, on the GM layer I label all of the rooms to reference my printed material.  (i.e. A1, A2...A11, A12) etc.  What I want to do is somehow turn those labels into buttons so I can put the pertinent info in an easy to get to place.  Like, I want to click "A3" so I can see the part that's "read this when the players enter", and more text about "there's a trap here, here are its stats", and "after they search they find this valuable stuff" etc.  With this I can parse out the info that I'm likely to forget/overlook when everything is happening and have it all in one easy to find place.  Is there any way to do this?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The easiest way to do this is not very obvious.  Here's how I would suggest: 1) Create a character named Label 2) Create an Ability on the Label character named Info  a) Set it as a Token Action  b) give it this for a body: /w gm @{selected|bar1} 3) Create a token to act as a label  a) set it to represent the character Label  b) Type your note into the bar1 area (you won't be able to see it very well because the space is too small) Now when you select the label token, there will be a button at the top left that says Info.  Click it and it will whisper the info to the gm.  You can make other tokens that represent the character Label and have their own information in bar1.  You can expand this out with even more options as you can use bar2, bar3, bar1|max, bar2|max, bar3|max and the token_name. 
I do something like this, in my campaigns. I have a character called Description whose default token is just a basic  thumbtack image . I also made a character ability for this character that will simply print out the area's description (/desc @{selected|bar1_value}). You could also create another one that will print out any GM specific information (/w gm @{selected|bar1_value}). Then I will drag a token linked to the Description character onto the map for each area of significance. 
   Check out Roll20's Starter Adventure, The Master's Vault.                     It uses handouts, which is a great place to put what you're talking about. Player-seen/read descriptions go on top and GM Only sections (Trap info, etc) go on the bottom.    If you really want to use a button instead, create a character for each one (MapA-Area1, MapAArea2) and do the same thing as the journal but ignore all the character sheet stuff and just use the BIO info to give the players what they see/know, and use the GM Only section for stuff only you know. Since its rich text you can highlght text with fonts and colors or links or whatever too. Shift-Double-Click will open the Bio that's linked to that player token. The player token can be a pushpin and the name can be Area 1 or whatever you want. Just keep it in the GM layer instead of the map layer so the players dont see it.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
There's some more good ideas in this thread: Using Roll20 to handle the "dungeon key"
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
To add to Aaron's and Kyle's excellent suggestions, you don't need a character. I do what Kyle does with putting the descriptions in the token values (PC info in Bar1, GM info in Bar2). I then make a global macro called Room-Description that is this: /desc @{selected|bar1} /w gm @{selected|bar2} I also use a transparent image with a GM only visible aura (so I can see it, but players can't) instead of the thumbtack that kyle does. This allows me to sprinkle these notes across the map on the token layer without twigging my players to the fact that there is something in the area.
Putting the text inside the token bars works for normal text but if you want rich text (colors, BOLD , italic , etc) then the character area works for me, and you can show it to the player upon reveal so they'll have a record of the description you just read (If the description you just read is in the Bio section). I separate characters from these map descriptions using a folder structure within the journal (Journal Tab) so everyone can find stuff easy. PCs are in Journal--> Player Characters, Map Descriptions are in Journal-->Handouts--->Map Descriptions... etc. It's also easier to see at a glance more of the text, its formatting, etc instead of a tiny bar field, for me at least.
Roland said: Putting the text inside the token bars works for normal text but if you want rich text (colors, BOLD , italic , etc) then the character area works for me, and you can show it to the player upon reveal so they'll have a record of the description you just read (If the description you just read is in the Bio section). I separate characters from these map descriptions using a folder structure within the journal (Journal Tab) so everyone can find stuff easy. PCs are in Journal--> Player Characters, Map Descriptions are in Journal-->Handouts--->Map Descriptions... etc. It's also easier to see at a glance more of the text, its formatting, etc instead of a tiny bar field, for me at least. You could also put HTML code inside of the barX_value to make it look exactly as you want it to when you print it to the screen using the macros.
That's true. It's nice that the OP has options for whichever works best for him.