Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] It's the Monster Mash! An adventure in Encounters!

Edited 1385235030
First thanks John M. (Big John) for your excellent work on this, I could not have gotten this far without your expertise! We have a Monster Mash Dev Team - John M., Malikai, Stephen, and Brian! Way to go community! Any suggestions or feedback is welcome. So here is a cleaned up version of the Monster Mash Script that gets the skills. Still a work in progress as we are not yet writting the Macros automatically and we have not found the method to parse the melee yet. You will need to edit your JSON file, which you get by going here <a href="http://www.d20pfsrd.com" rel="nofollow">http://www.d20pfsrd.com</a> and go to Monster DB and download CSV, then you will need to convert to a JSON file, and there are numerous methods to accomplish this (Google). I then went into my JSON file using Notepad++ and did a Find and Replace on all Skills and renamed them to more usable attribute names, and I removed the positive preceding the integer (ie: Acrobatics +9, do a f&r on Acrobatics +, and replace with Acrobatics , make sure to have the trailing space). Once I had this formatted the way I wanted, all good! Here is the current version of the script: The Monster Mash v3 Please provide all feedback and additional updates, would like this to be a community effort. With very little modifications you could use any SRD Monster or NPC source. Temporary stop gap to add skills to imported monsters, you will need to run !skill *insert monster name* Monster. This will add ALL skill macros so you will have to delete what you do not need. Future version will have the logic to read the Monster Object and only create Skill Macros accordingly. This is a Character Sheet Generator so you will need to disable other similar scripts so no conflict. Manual Monster Skill Script
Updated Monster Skills.
I don't if the full skill set is required for the monsters. I suggest that we reduce the list of skills to the listed ones.

Edited 1385292871
Hi Mike, Hi John, i'm woking on a new structure for the "monster db". I've posted the temporary structure to my etherpad pad under <a href="https://pad.fmgruel.de/p/monsterdb" rel="nofollow">https://pad.fmgruel.de/p/monsterdb</a> I will add and change the functions for creating the character sheet later today. Feel free to add or change my ideas (we are able to view a specific revision) -Malikai
Awesome, will take a look now. Yeah we want to narrow down the list of skills, the ones in the Monster Mash script are confirmed. The ones in the Char Sheet was just all of them. It would be nice to have the skill only get created if we have a corresponding attribute present. Really appreciate your contribution!
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
LOL.... "Big Mike" should be called "Bulldog Mike" because he has the car firmly by the tire and he is NOT letting go.
Hahaha....I like Bulldogs!!
Ok I am 100% through the JSON file, so the one on the share I sent you is the location, and all of the Skills have been renamed to more friendly equivalents.

Edited 1385322422
Thoughts: 1. Tag - It would be nice if we can write the source field to Tags on the Monster when created. Would also like to add Tag Monster. "Source":"PFRPG Bestiary" 2. Attacks - We need to be able to parse the attack info and be able to create the associated macros. It is comma delimited when there is multiple attacks. "Melee":"bite +5 (2d6+4 plus 1d4 acid and grab)", So any of you have ideas please feel free to share...
Update: Rumor has it that this elusive power crew behind the Monster Mash is meeting at an undisclosed Campaign in Roll20 Ether! Intel suggests that new capabilities and functionality will be a result of this clandestine gathering! Damn Dragon Magazines, and the old articles on Top Secret!, got my mind a going, so many games so little time! Wishing the Roll20 Community a Happy Thanksgiving!

Edited 1385611342
Godspeed you crazy coders. I'm going to go bury my nosein CodeAcademy later to see if I can join the frontlines. I'm so awful at coding, haha!
Thats the spirit, we will all look forward to your contributions!
Good things a coming! But at current state, I just imported 20 monsters into a campaign, took 5 mins. At the moment adding graphics to each entry, and setting your attack macros are manual, but what used to take me up to 30 mins to setup a Monster took 5 mins for 20, and maybe 5 mins per imported monster to configure. So 600 minutes, down to 105 minutes...
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It needs to "remember"... so you only ever have to do that once.. and it will try to repeat (if possible) for each monster.
Definitely, then you can write random encounter scripts that would create the Monster encounter on the fly! Or not call the monster into existence until needed... We have some ground to cover!