Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New game token setting ideas needed for 5E Shaped Sheet game

I am starting a 5E game (Shaped Sheet) and would like input from others as to how they setup their sheet and tokens to make the game more fun.  I want to set up token mod so that when I drag tokens out that they are all set up the way I need but in order to do that I first have to decide WHAT is the best way to set them up.  Those who have played 5E, what have you found works and what is probably not that great?  Do you use Custom FX?  Do you set token action macros for PCs to do all their things? If you do certain things and would like to share how you set that up and the value of it that would be awesome!

Edited 1490944766
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I personally don't like a ton of buttons on screen. I have a token macro that calls the statblock, the attacks and the spells, so that any token I click on can call a quick mini character sheet into the chat block. This macro is also usable by the players. %{selected|shaped_statblock} %{selected|shaped_attacks} %{selected|shaped_spells} I have a much larger utility macro for all things Shaped.: /w gm &{template:5e-shaped} {{title=Utility Menu}} {{text=[Configure Shaped Options](!shaped-config) **Spells** [Spells](!shaped-spells) | [Remove All Spells](!shaped-remove-spell) **Monsters** [Monster](!shaped-monsters) | [Replace and Overwrite Monster](!shaped-monsters --replace) [From Statblock](!shaped-import-statblock) | [From Token Name](!shaped-import-by-token) **Create Token Macro Buttons** [Attacks](!shaped-abilities --attacks) | [Actions](!shaped-abilities --actions) | [Reactions](!shaped-abilities --reactions) [Traits](!shaped-abilities --traits) | [Racial Traits](!shaped-abilities --racialTraits) | [Class Features](!shaped-abilities --classFeatures) | [Feats](!shaped-abilities --feats) [Legendary Actions](!shaped-abilities --legendaryA) | [Lair Actions](!shaped-abilities --lairA) **Setup** [Set Token to Defaults](!shaped-apply-defaults) | [Update to Current Sheet](!shaped-update-character) | [Update All-Caution](!shaped-update-character --all) **Rests and Resets** [Short Rest](!shaped-rest --type short) | [Long Rest](!shaped-rest --type long) **Utility** [Set Default Token](!token-mod --set defaulttoken) }} That gives me a control panel for the most commonly used token and character management tasks. The last command is not a Shaped command, but everybody should have TokenMod in their API arsenal. As for basic settings, that really depends on your style of play. I'm a DM screen kind of game player, so I have most of the output hidden from the players. Be sure to grab the TokenNameNumber script, since it coordinates nicely with the Shaped Script. Finally, take the time to learn how to use attachers. For rogue sneak attack damage if nothing else.

Edited 1490971335
I love it.  This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for.  Maybe some others will also share.  What is an ATTACHER?? Also, if you ever have time to allow someone to show up at your game and see how you use these tools, I would be excited to see that.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
An attacher is a bit of code that can be linked to specific actions of the character sheet, like attacks, saving throws or ability checks.For instance, a rogue can set up their character so that every time they roll an attack, the chat outcome has a link at the bottom, which can be clicked to run the Sneak Attack feature. It can be used for Paladin smites, Battle Master maneuvers, Barbarian rage reminders, etc. It's a great time saver. scroll down to the bottom of any Shaped character sheet and there is a link to the documentation. Once you are in that, find the section on attachers. Also, some googling will reveal some great how youtube videos on Roll20 features, including one on attachers.
5e shaped attachers