Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

One Click API ccript for various rolls, including some from repeating sections

So long story, I've made a test party to beta test some of the encounters I've made for my group in an 5e game I'll be running soon (hopefully), and sadly I can't find a way to make the Macro Bar appear in two or more rows, just one that adds in a scroll bar, which is somewhat cumbersome to say the least. So I looked into trying to make an API like the Pathfinder Sheet has, one call down to have all the party's attacks, spells and initiative rolls in one place... but that's as far as I've gotten. Being ADD it takes ages for my to wrap my head around stuff like this, adding in the extra frustration of trying to figure how to reference repeating sections, I've just given up. So I thought I'd ask if anyone could show me how it's done, and tell me if I even can as it make be a Pro only feature, and I'm Free, so there's that. Any help would be greatly apperciated.

Edited 1491069602
What character sheet are you working on? Also, making macros you can do on a free account, but the API is a Pro level feature only.
5e OGL, sorry forgot to mention that. And I want do it like Pathfinder does, one click to get attack, skills, spells, ect.

Edited 1491070632
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jake W. said: 5e OGL, sorry forgot to mention that. And I want do it like Pathfinder does, one click to get attack, skills, spells, ect. Yes, you can't* do that without an API script, which is Pro-only. The 5e Shaped sheet has that stuff built-in, though. * There may be a very hacky solution via macro. But "list stuff dynamically" can normally only be done with scripts, so it's either built in via sheet workers into the sheet or you need the API.
Ugh, what a pain. No offense to the devs but it's paywalls like this are the scourge of out modern world. Thanks for the help though guys, I appreicate.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jake W. said: Ugh, what a pain. No offense to the devs but it's paywalls like this are the scourge of out modern world. Thanks for the help though guys, I appreicate. I'm sorry, but you're getting a lot of functionality for free on Roll20 (including the Shaped sheet if you were to switch to it), and calling the fact you have to pay for Roll20 to provide their API servers to you the "scourge of our modern world" is perhaps a bit overdramatic, don't you think?
Mayhap, mayhap not. Just because I support most of Roll20 and as whole love what they do doesn't meant I am oathbound to support and/or endorse everything they do. I've been unemployed for years, only recently securing a soon to start job, seeing paywalls like this everywhere I look has been the bane of me finding a shred of satisfaction online. Overkill maybe, but work hard on something for a long time just to find the last crucial piece of the puzzle you need to finish your masterpiece locked behind a paygate you have no way of getting around. Then tell me what is fair and isn't, ripping your hair out trying to find an alternative or way around Regardless this isn't the time or the place to have this debate, and I'm probably in trouble for saying that in the first place. The TL;DR is that's my honest opinion from first hand experience and no matter what anyone thinks I'm entitled to it. I'll try to keep it to myself for manners sake.

Edited 1491082846
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Jake W. said: Just because I support most of Roll20 and as whole love what they do doesn't meant I am oathbound to support and/or endorse everything they do. Certainly. However, Roll20 is likewise not oathbound to provide you a premium service for free. The information we've gotten from Riley in the past has been that the API servers are a significant cost for the platform, and as such there are no plans to make API access anything but a Pro feature.

Edited 1491173772
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Jake W. said: I can't find a way to make the Macro Bar appear in two or more rows, just one that adds in a scroll bar, which is somewhat cumbersome to say the least. I would recommend renaming your Macro Bar buttons to give yourself more room. I use a single symbol/letter for all of my Macro Bar buttons. There's also the option of making some of the Macro Bar buttons into Token Actions or vice versa. Jake W. said: adding in the extra frustration of trying to figure how to reference repeating sections, I've just given up. Have you checked out the relevant Wiki sections ? The Dynamic References to Repeating Sections part of the 5e OGL's Wiki page may also be helpful. Jake W. said: have all the party's attacks, spells and initiative rolls in one place As mentioned earlier, stuff like this can be pretty tricky (in that it would require constantly adding to the macro, though a Sheet Worker or API Script could do that) but it's certainly not impossible. The easiest of these is the initiative rolls, if you'd prefer to not have initiative buttons in your players' Macro/Token Action Bars. In this case, I might suggest using creating a menu of Ability Command Buttons that allows you or your players to roll initiative from the Text Chat. e.g. &{template:default} {{ [Aaron](~Aaron|Initiative) [Betty](~Betty|Initiative) [Cassy](~Cassy|Initiative) }}
Jake W. said: ... I can't find a way to make the Macro Bar appear in two or more rows, just one that adds in a scroll bar, which is somewhat cumbersome to say the least. Ability Command Buttons are really the best way to go. If you really like the macro bar, you can also use the Stylish add-on to adjust the CSS and shrink the font on your macro bar (see code below). This, combined with Silvyre's suggestion of single-letter macro names, can get more buttons on the screen. @namespace url(<a href="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" rel="nofollow">http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml</a>); @-moz-document domain("app.roll20.net") { #macrobar .btn { font-size: 9px !important; }