Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Moving tokens from map to map

I have had several people complain about roll20 changing permissions or token settings when dragging players between maps. In order to NOT have this happen to me, what do I need to do when moving players between maps?   What is the correct process for this?   Can it be done as a group or just one at a time? Will all my token settings, permissions, macros, api scripts (aura/health, shaped sheet settings) etc stay in place?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
If you have your tokens all setup fully prior to making them the default token for the character sheet , their setting should not change. Now if you dragged and dropped the tokens prior to setting them up completely as the default, they won't have those settings and you will have to redrag and drop the new tokens as each map functions individually and nothing truly carries over except the changes that happen to the journals (character sheets) due to interaction with the linked tokens.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You can also copy/paste tokens from page to page which will maintain their current settings (useful for maintaining statusmarkers).

Edited 1491759108
So to be sure I should run my !shaped-apply-defaults (5E shaped sheet command) to each PC just in case on this map screen, then when I move them from map to map they should all stay as is with all their permissions and such?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Not sure as I don't use 5e but I do know that when the token is made default, it is just a static snapshot of what the token is at that moment. That means every time that token is dropped from the sheet, it will have those specific settings it had when made default.

Edited 1491766662
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
I usually make all tokens on a token screen. It has all of my tokens for my players to chose from. Once they chose and finish creating their sheet, then I set the token up with all of its settings (hp bar, attached to character journal, Dynamic Lighting, etc) then after all that is in place, set the token to become the default token. Now when you drag the sheet to the table the token will come with it. If it is attached to the Character Journal, any information from the sheet will carry over on any new drop. It will not carry any status markers with it, the default token takes on all traits at the moment you make it the default token. Any changes to the character sheet is retained, but not any edits to the token it's self (unless you reset the token) 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There is also the API script token-sync, which will propagate any changes to a token (including status markers) across maps.

Edited 1491781655
Omegaman said: So to be sure I should run my !shaped-apply-defaults (5E shaped sheet command) to each PC just in case on this map screen, then when I move them from map to map they should all stay as is with all their permissions and such? No. Find a token.  Set up all the stats.  So for one token you would choose it's sheet.  Bar 1 - HP.  Bar 2 - AC. Bar 3 - whatever.  Set up the rest of the token.  Once it's complete, hit EDIT on a character sheet.  Press the first tab bio where it has the DEFAULT TOKEN.  Click on the token you made, click on make default token.   Now whenever you drag the sheet to a map it'll drop the token you just made.  It will always be the same as the default token. OR CTRL + C, then CTRL + V to the new map.
Gotcha.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  What you said is exactly what those commands do.  It just automates the process so I don't have to do it manually.