Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Why is /emas only usable by GM's?

Sam
Sheet Author
I was telling one of my players about how cool /emas was and how it could solve some of the problems we've been having with our macros. But then he told me that he couldn't use it. I wondered if it was just him so I loaded the campaign as a player and sure enough I got an error saying " Unrecognized command: /emas ". So my question is, is this a bug or if its intentional, why would it be restricted to only GM's?
Gid
Roll20 Team
Intentional. I believe the current restriction is set in place to prevent random unassociated character spam.

Edited 1385614384
Sam
Sheet Author
I can see why that might be a good idea in some groups but it really limits what I can do as a GM / Player since there is no way to do "/self <message>" which would grab the token name and then do an /em on it.
Gid
Roll20 Team
A player can say or emote as the characters they have control over. They need to choose the character from the "As:" drop down menu below the chat window.
How about adding a tooltip over /emas that shows the players display name?
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'd recommend a making a suggestion thread if you feel that the function should be opened up to all users in a campaign and not jut the GM(s).
I did awhile back.
Sam
Sheet Author
Do we need to make another suggestion thread, HoneyBadger?
It would help if /emas as a player would only allow you to pick characters/tokens you actually control. That way you can prevent people impersonating others, but at the same time I can make macros that show the right name, without me having to switch all the time.
Sam
Sheet Author
Quatar said: That way you can prevent people impersonating others, but at the same time I can make macros that show the right name, without me having to switch all the time. This is exactly the reason why I wish /emas was open to players. There are times when I have controlled two or more tokens as a player and there have been times when I've used a macro with an emote designed for one of the tokens while I've accidently had the other token selected as my "speaking token". There's nothing sillier than an emote describing a dragon lining up a shot with a bow and firing the arrow, or saying that a human is savagely raking an enemy with his claws.

Edited 1385681875
Gid
Roll20 Team
Just so you know, if you use /emas it doesn't utilize a character from the journals or the tokens. It just creates a random emote from the perspective of whatever you inputted after the /emas command. If I have a character journal for the character "Bob" and I use the command "/emas Bob does something." It won't pull the character entry from the journals.
Sam
Sheet Author
Yes I am aware of that fact and I should have clarified my response earlier. I also should have mentioned that I am aware that there are some who get around the /emas @{selected|token_name} <message> limitation by doing /em @{selected|token_name} <message> but this doesn't solve the issue for me because it still affixes the "speaking as" name to the beginning. As a player, since /emas is unavailable, there is no way to do an emote to speak for one of your characters unless you specifically select them in your "speaking as" drop down.
I, too, would love to see this opened up.

Edited 1385856272
The dropdown is actually very good as it only requires three clicks to do what you want. When I read this I thought that a manual /emas for players would be inefficient and would complicate things because of comparison. A dropdown is simply two extra clicks, then one for the macro, whereas a manual /emas would have the player typing out the name, which is of course slower. You could also have a player type out the name of something with a prompt - like ?{name|dragon} or whatnot. Now as for the macros, I figured out a way to get it done. The result makes it such that only one button is pressed. Since characters have their own things, the only problem is the /em or /me calling on the name in the dropdown. If you make the name of a character controlled by the player blank or space, then the name in the dropdown is also blank, and after that you can call on an attribute in every /em in each ability - for example, /em @{text} rakes with claws! - with text being the name like dragon. With this you can put text into the /em command from the distinct characters. The only problem is that blank or nothing shows up when you actually need to type instead of your name. You can make a macro that does "/em Alex K." and then type, but you could also use the dropdown. Just the difference from three clicks to one click the way I see it, but it can be done if you make a character with the name blank. This seems to serve the same idea as an /emas for players calling on only their characters.
Actually, since you can edit what's in the attribute field for each character very easily and do that method, it would almost amount to having an /emas already.