Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Concerning the current state of the wiki formatting.

Sam
Sheet Author
Recently I've been dealing a lot with the wiki, trying to help clarify areas which aren't very clear and adding sections which have all but been neglected. Recently I added a section to the macro wiki concerning nesting character abilities since this seems to be a common question because up until now there has been no official documentation on it. I personally want to rip that page apart and reorganize it to make the differences and similarities between macros and abilities clearer, but that's for another thread and another day. The meat of the discussion I want to have right now concerns the Dice Reference page. Currently what I am seeing is a misapplication of the diceroller class. The intent of this class is to allow a wiki author to quickly give a reader the ability to test and prove and most importantly, experiment with is being written. However, currently the class is being used to merely emphasize what the outcome will be if you were to roll it inside of a Roll20 campaign. I believe how it is being used is an erroneous use of the class since the helper text beneath the input box suggests to a new user that all they have to do is click in the box and then hit enter to get something. Unfortunately because this box is being used to show what you would get if you were in a Roll20 campaign, just hitting enter causes an error to happen. Yes, I do know that the reader is told to type in what's in the grey box and that the dice roller box does tell the reader that you can change the formula but the point remains that the diceroller box is being used to show emphasis rather than it's real purpose of rolling die. I believe that the Dice Reference page should be updated to reflect this clarification. I do agree that what was being emphasized does have merit and that the text should remain, but it should be emphasized differently. I am prepared to enact these changes myself, I wouldn't suggest them if I weren't planning on it. What I want to know from the community is how you feel about these changes.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I agree. I think it should be updated, personally. However, to change it in the manner you suggest, you would also need to get rid of "What you see in the chat:" ahead of the box. At least in my opinion. Another approach would be to simply modify the text below the box to something a little clearer. Perhaps: "You can enter a formula in the box and press enter to roll the dice." That way, one can still see what the general outcome of the example formula would be, but also allow a user to enter their own formula and know that the existing text in the box won't work as it is written. Then no other layout changes would be required before or after the box. Just a thought.
The way you're describing it is the way it used to work and should work. Apparently someone went in on Oct 4 and changed it all around for some reason. I have locked the page and will be reverting it shortly.
It's been changed back to how it was. That page is now protected, though, so that only Mods + the Dev Team can edit it, since that's the second time we've had a major issue with someone editing that page in appropriately. We're going to have to start keeping a better eye on the recent changes page, I guess.
Sam
Sheet Author
I'm glad to see that the page has been reverted and that the information is much clearer to read now. I understand why you guys have to lock the page now, even though it makes me sad and those like me who like to contribute but are unable due to the actions of a few. Since there is a long as to who made changes, is there a way of blocking a certain user from making making changes? Sort of like a 3 strike policy?