Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Map layer merging

Edited 1493122803
I have been playing with Pro now for 200+hours and have garnered a reasonable understanding of functionality.  I know that you can cut a paste into GIMP or Photoshop, but this is a time consuming process if you are doing anything but smaller maps. I would like to see the ability to, on the MAP layer, merge objects into a single image. You are already able to group objects together to lock and move them at the same time. Having the ability to merge them into a single object would be excellent and a considerable time saver. Thanks for listening.
Do you mean something similar the "group" option?
Something similar, yes. But this would actually merge all of the objects into a single image, rather than just be a group of images. This way, the file is smaller and loads easier, faster and as one image. When dealing with a huge map, this is MUCH better than waiting for 100 or 200 or 500 individual objects to load. Right now, the answer is to design in Roll20 and cut pieces of a completed map into a Photoshop/GIMP type app, piece together into one image and port them back over to Roll20, or build them outside of Roll20 altogether and port the finished map into Roll20.

Edited 1497676195
I agree with this.I wanted a similar tool for map creation in general similar to pyromancer's online tools. Maybe a partnership? ----- However my personal take is that this would cut into dividends from marketplace making this unlikely update.  The effective demand would reduce as members would not have to rely on site as much for tile sets.  Don't quote me on the market plan.  I don't know.  hur hur   Again this is just an opinion
What I am referring to would have no impact on the marketplace. Everything that is purchased there is still purchased there. I am referring to being able to design your map with the many thousands of pieces from the many creators out there that you have purchased in the marketplace....then, when it is done, within Roll20, without having to use a cut and paste tool (like the snipping tool) to port them over to photoshop or GIMP and reassemble, or to build the map in those apps and port over to Roll20, have a Roll20 function that would just merge the objects for you, that way, it creates a single object to load and not have 4 background tiles, 200 trees, bushes, rocks, ponds and 300 wall tiles to have to load individually. It would be identical to the GROUP function, but would permanently MERGE them to make a single image (Like the Merge Down and Merge Layers functions in Photoshop)
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .