Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Performance and Storage considerations for Many Handouts

I recently purchased The Storm Kings Thunder from Wizards. I love all of the content, and everything is there. However, in my Pathfinder campaign I was setting up, I was creating a handout for each map area (ie. A1, A2, A2a, A2b, etc.). Whereas they provide all of the map area notes in a single handout. My question is, is there a performance hit or a storage cost associated with each one of these handouts that I'm creating. I was going through and cutting and pasting the text from each of the notes to their own handout for easier reference for myself. Should I be concerned with having to load to many of these or running out of space eventually?
The handouts shouldn't count against your storage space as the images all should be already loaded into your game and are online assets that wouldn't be counted anyway. As for a limit to the number for performance I know that it can become an issue, bit it seems to be more-so with character sheets with lots of attributes than simple handouts. So you are probably safe. If roll20 had the ability to link within handouts it would solve the issue nearly completely.
Jeremy R. said: I recently purchased The Storm Kings Thunder from Wizards. I love all of the content, and everything is there. However, in my Pathfinder campaign I was setting up, I was creating a handout for each map area (ie. A1, A2, A2a, A2b, etc.). Whereas they provide all of the map area notes in a single handout. My question is, is there a performance hit or a storage cost associated with each one of these handouts that I'm creating. I was going through and cutting and pasting the text from each of the notes to their own handout for easier reference for myself. Should I be concerned with having to load to many of these or running out of space eventually? Game lag is something I have looked into a lot, so I understand your concern. Theoretically, handouts are considered "pages" and are only loaded to your computer when you click on them (this is in contrast to Ed's apt example of character sheets, where every attribute is loaded every time you load the campaign). Thus, (again in theory), a large number of handouts should have no impact on overall performance or lag, provided you do not decide to open them all at once. If you are still concerned about handouts potentially causing lag, you could always upgrade to pro and use the transmogrifier to store them in a separate campaign. This should be unnecessary, but it is an option.
Awesome, thanks for the replies, especially your explanation that handouts are pages. I just find this method for now easier to find notes. And if I want, I can link to them individually.
Jeremy R. said: Awesome, thanks for the replies, especially your explanation that handouts are pages. I just find this method for now easier to find notes. And if I want, I can link to them individually. Sorry, I misspoke. Handouts are not pages, but they load dynamically (as pages do), so it should work out! Thought I would clarify.